cloud hosting with bring your own iso image os install

I am currently looking for a cloud hosting providor that will let me use my own ISO image and install the operating system myself, i found vcloud express will let me do that but it is really expensive so i was trying to find something cheaper. I came across thrustvps.com but i havne't been able to contact sales about if they have that option.

does anyone have a recommended hosting company to bring your own iso?

I think most hosting companies can do this, Just depends on what kind of time they want to put towards their customers. Or maybe they will have a small charge for this. Please let us know about the guys you are looking at.
    Michael Wallace - michael@innoscale.net
    Innovative Scaling Technologies Inc. - A Cloud Service Provider
    24/7 Support, Call us @ 1-307-200-4880
    www.innoscale.net - Seattle, Silicon Valley, Dallas, Chicago, Washington D.C., and Europe

I am looking for something with 2 to 4 cores and 2-4 GB of memory. I have looked at a lot of providers don't remember all of them but none of them had that bring your own iso option.

No preference for location or anything else? Here are a few that should be able to do it out of the box without any manual interference from the provider: ElasticHosts (UK/US), Serverlove (UK), FlexiScale (UK), CloudSigma (CH) and SkaliCloud (MY)
    Sune Christesen
    Data Center Map - Worldwide colocation, cloud and carrier index with interactive map.

Thanks for the list. I am looking for something located in the US, preferably on the East Coast. Looks like ElasticHosts is pretty good the pricing is just about par with others.

are there providers that will let you upload your own vm install to deploy on their servers? so if i build a server on my vmware server then take that and upload to their cloud could i run it from there? I think i saw one place that did that i don't remember. I am trying to keep my costs down.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiA4Turbo View Post
    are there providers that will let you upload your own vm install to deploy on their servers? so if i build a server on my vmware server then take that and upload to their cloud could i run it from there? I think i saw one place that did that i don't remember. I am trying to keep my costs down.
    I doubt. You probably would need a vmware provider for this type of thing because the format is different. There are converters that can convert vmdk to xen, any other formats and vice versa. You can convert and redeploy.

If the VMware hosting provider is running vCloud Director you can easily upload your own image or install from your own media.

Pretty sure anyone using KVM can do this - www.elastichosts.com are one that I know of.
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.

You can do it with pretty much any system. I know with Applogic it wont allow the customer to do it. So the Admin will have to do it.
    www.innoscale.net - Seattle, Silicon Valley, Dallas, Chicago, Washington D.C., and Europe

well i tried using vcloud express provider terremark and they have the ablity to upload your own ISO but it is through the web and can take a very long time to upload. I tried to install my own custom ISO linux distro which is around 500+ MB and their service didn't like that, the install was taking well over 3+ hours, so i finally gave up and went to bed seeing as it was around 4am. Their customer support is very, very helpful I had problem after problem and Langdon was working with me trying to get through all the problems. I finally got to the point where i could use my iso but it was far too slow to use.

But I would recommend using terremark as long as you don't need your own iso.

hehe. I think it just all depends on what your doing. What custom nix distribution are you using?

Most providers will offer this as a manual job at the moment - the next version of Onapp (which we use) will add this functionality to the platform, so customers can access a library of ISO images, or upload their own for boot / mount.

When searching for providers, you may also want to look for providers that not only import VM images, but also export your VM images.

Eric
    Genesis Hosting Solutions, LLC (genesishosting.com)
    Genesis Public Cloud - No Compromise On-Demand OpenStack infrastructure
    Genesis VMs - Easy to provision single VMs on our Genesis Public Cloud
    Compare us against others at vpsbenchmarks.com!

Quote Originally Posted by boskone View Post
    Most providers will offer this as a manual job at the moment - the next version of Onapp (which we use) will add this functionality to the platform, so customers can access a library of ISO images, or upload their own for boot / mount.
    Also waiting for that version here, you have the exact date?
    Offshore Hosting & High Privacy in Panama
    Cloud Servers & Shared Web Hosting | Daily Backups | 99.9% Uptime
    www.OffshoreRacks.com

Which version are you running on? Can't find this in 2.1 Gold which has just been released..

It's in the next public version.

Have you visit already spotcloud.com ?

It's in the next public version.
    Right, checked it with support. It will be in v2.2