Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    99

    Question What do I need in order to embed video on my website?

    My sites are typically designed with Html, JSP, JavaScript, CSS (minimal) and Java Servlets.

    When I design a website for a client, I want them to have the option to put videos on their site.

    Upload, Download and Playback for videos, is NOT my expertise....at all.

    So far, I did write the Java code for uploading a video file to the server. That was Step 1.

    So now for the playback portion of this process...where do I start?

    1) What html code is used for embedding a video on a page?

    2) Do I need a video player of some sort in order to play the embedded video?
    --If so, can I get one for free and where?
    --Will it play multiple formats?


    3) Typical of web design is browser incompatibility. What do I need to watch out for?

    4) Formats that are commonly used for video include - avi, wmv, mpg/mpeg, mov (apple quicktime) and .swf (flash)
    I don't have a video converter program, or software for converting video formats, so should I leave it to the client to convert the video themselves before they upload it?
    As a web designer, would it be proper web etiquette to impose this on a client?

    Your help is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    603
    You can attach a video on the page by simply adding iframe to your html. Videos from youtube can be easily played on your custom page in that way.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,807
    You have ffmpeg/vlc-nox/etc. Use it. Use Javascript to detect support, keep multiple copies on hand, HTML5 <video>, flash fallback.
    http://jquery.malsup.com/media/ maybe?


    avi, wmv, mov, etc are for local playback. Use flv/mp4/ogv?/whatever for web.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    32
    If you use HTML 5 it can be as simple as <video src="url" height="" width=""></video>

    Something along those lines - Google has a nice HTML 5 guide somewhere. You might be able to find it with a simple search...

  5. #5
    It would not be good idea to leaving converting videos task for client before they upload it. You are designing client's website, so it is your responsibility that you offer them each thing that come in your designer part.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    99

    Question ...what about photobucket?

    I agree, the client shouldn't have to convert the video file before uploading it to their site.

    So then, since the conversion part is left up to me, I need a way to do this automatically after the video file is uploaded by the client. In other words, the site needs to take care of this, rather than me physically putting the file through a converter after its uploaded.

    I design my sites with Java (JSP and Servlets). Should I be able to find the code online to do the conversion?

    My only other option, if I can't figure out how to do it with Java, is to have the client upload their video to Photobucket, and then submit the <embed> code through a form on one of their site pages. That's a simple workaround for me.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by JavaDziner View Post
    I agree, the client shouldn't have to convert the video file before uploading it to their site.

    So then, since the conversion part is left up to me, I need a way to do this automatically after the video file is uploaded by the client. In other words, the site needs to take care of this, rather than me physically putting the file through a converter after its uploaded.

    I design my sites with Java (JSP and Servlets). Should I be able to find the code online to do the conversion?

    My only other option, if I can't figure out how to do it with Java, is to have the client upload their video to Photobucket, and then submit the <embed> code through a form on one of their site pages. That's a simple workaround for me.
    Conversion will need a LOT of CPU power, keep that in mind.

    Additionally, I'd recommend vimeo over photobucket if it's "legit files" (not copyrighted content) - much better player, very nice API

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Conversion will need a LOT of CPU power, keep that in mind.
    I was just reading online where CPU usage and bandwidth was mentioned... I don't think I had given that much consideration. Thank you for mentioning that I think it would be advantageous for me to have the video hosted on photobucket or vimeo, vs. on my vps.

    Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Additionally, I'd recommend vimeo over photobucket if it's "legit files" (not copyrighted content) - much better player, very nice API
    So I could create an account for the client and instruct them how to use (Photobucket or Vimeo) for the video upload...and you would say that this is a good alternative for me? In terms of not having to worry about creating code for a video converter?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-02-2011, 09:23 AM
  2. How to embed .avi video in a website?
    By vikramdhani in forum Web Design and Content
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-20-2006, 11:12 AM
  3. How to embed video (youtube) to Wordpress?
    By tesoro in forum Web Design and Content
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 05:10 PM
  4. Any scripting to hide the embed video content
    By vikramdhani in forum Web Design and Content
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-17-2006, 05:33 PM
  5. Video Embed (advert at start?)
    By Sneath Design in forum Web Design and Content
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 09:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •