Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking to host minecraft server. Budget $300-400/month

Yes call me crazy but im looking to spend the big bucks and host a minecraft server. (Its a video game that can go online.)Right now im hosting from home 24/7 on a different machine then my main computer. But my main problem is my horrid! upload speed!

My connection is 50mb/2mb .... 2mb UP! its because im in Canada And this is the fastest internet money can buy believe it or not, up here.

Anyways im paying 230$ a month for internet (INCASE you dont believe me and are shocked: Google cogeco internet business plan lol)and its just for the server to be honest.
    I rather cancel this, go for a nice light 40 dollar a month package with just 16mb/1mb or something and put the money plus some more into an awesome dedicated server.

My question is...
    What is the most reliable to give me what im looking for. I dont need to save money, I WANT to sped 300-400 because well, who knows maybe ill wanna host something else in the future. For now though i want to open a massive minecraft server, open 24/7 for like 200 user limit.

Right now i have 20 users average and i upload 11GB a day.
    So im assuming with 100 average users ill be uploading like over 50GB im not sure though.

Anyways can someone recommend me something?
    Something totally lag free, located in united states preferrably, with A SUPER HUGE UPLOAD (If available) compared to my 2mb up, and some very very nice fast hardware.

AGAIN, Please... im not looking to save money, im looking for QUALITY, and a company that is VERY KNOWN and reliable and fast

I have the money, just need to be directed please. Thanks.
    So many hosts out there i dont know whats serious whats not.
      0 Not allowed!

If Chicago is okay with you, give Singlehop a try. they have a fantastic network.
      0 Not allowed!

You can ask some hosts around for a quote, but depending on the Minecraft world size and concurrent users you can end up having some pretty high traffic and might need more than 1 or 2 TB of traffic per month.

Keep in mind, you're probably going to be the one managing all aspects of your server unless you pay extra to have it managed by the company selling you the server, which probably won't include support for Minecraft.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions
      0 Not allowed!

Not sure if this is a troll thread or not.

$400 a month for a Minecraft server?! That is a game that can only utilize one core and is unoptimized as heck.

Just go with Hetzner.de, they are located in Germany. 60-70 a month for a Core i7, 8 gigs DDR3, 100 mbit. Also the latency from Germany is barely noticeable in this game. Also, even with the top processors and 16 gigs or RAM+, you won't really be able to push more than 100 players without lag. This game is so horribly inefficient, that it will lag even your best machines. 200 players is just a pipe dream and will never happen, until Notch starts optimizing the game.

That is the host that most huge Minecraft servers use, like Buxville.

Trust me going with an expensive U.S. server is not worth it for this game at all. Or you could go with what other people suggest, but you will be majorly disappointed, and that $400 could of payed for months of some other hosts.
    Last edited by NateN34; 05-05-2011 at 05:42 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    You can ask some hosts around for a quote, but depending on the Minecraft world size and concurrent users you can end up having some pretty high traffic and might need more than 1 or 2 TB of traffic per month.

Keep in mind, you're probably going to be the one managing all aspects of your server unless you pay extra to have it managed by the company selling you the server, which probably won't include support for Minecraft.
    I can fully manage my minecraft server, handle all java errors, and everything.
    Just wondering are there any other aspects of the server id have to manage? Like what do u mean?

If you mean minecraft i got that handled
    I run over 24+ stable bukkit plugins right now, am very active, update daily, and can deal with errors VERY WELL So minecraft managment is all taken care off.

I just need some crazy hardware and a huge connection.

My world size is 550MB and has a world border. Its also fully rendered (checked with mcmap) so it wont get any bigger...... i think, right(Well it hasnt for over 2 weeks.)

I just need a windows 2008 server .... mysql.... good upload and im set.
    Monthly upload bandwith id need like... 1500 GB a month

Quote Originally Posted by NateN34 View Post
    Not sure if this is a troll thread or not.

$400 a month for a Minecraft server?! That is a game that can only utilize one core and is unoptimized as heck.

Just go with Hetzner.de, they are located in Germany. 60-70 a month for a Core i7, 8 gigs DDR3, 100 mbit. Also the latency from Germany is barely noticeable in this game.

That is the host that most huge Minecraft servers use, like Buxville.

Trust me going with an expensive U.S. server is not worth it for this game at all.
    troll thread?
    No .... i wouldnt put that much time into it lol
    I just see servers runnning 300 user slot servers with 140 on at time.... and would love that, + have the money for it.... im not looking to go cheap.

I think your the troll here ... id really apreciate some advice on my budget. not cheaper, again i have the money, and the time to mess around. I dont care for saving cash.

Also why would i go with germany, when most my players are united states..... ? (I dont know much about hosting, but isnt that bad... )
    Last edited by andrewkm; 05-05-2011 at 05:45 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by chennaihomie View Post
    If Chicago is okay with you, give Singlehop a try. they have a fantastic network.
    Played on one that was in Chicago Singlehop and it was very laggy and even after it was thoroughly optimized and streamlined it was still lagging bad a lot.
    Something awesome
    coming soon....
      0 Not allowed!

Would anyone know what a server like super-earth.net is hosted on? I get great connection with them even at 100 users....
      0 Not allowed!

Also why would i go with germany, when most my players are united states..... ? (I dont know much about hosting, but isnt that bad... )
    Why? Because you can get a significantly better server for Cheaper in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewkm View Post
    No .... i wouldnt put that much time into it lol
    I just see servers runnning 300 user slot servers with 140 on at time....and would love that, + have the money for it.... im not looking to go cheap.
    Trust me, I have been running Minecraft servers and all over the place and been around it for a while now. There is no type of server, not matter how much money you throw at it, that will host 200 or even 300. Those slot limits are just to make the server look good, when in reality they can only hold around 90, before they keep getting block lag.

Unless you can find a super computer, with a 10 ghz per core process, then that big of a server will never happen, until Minecraft is multithreaded. CPU is the biggest bottleneck, as Minecraft just eats it alive, especially if you are using any type of server mod. You could have 32 gigs of DDR3 RAM and have the server running fully in the RAMdisk, but it will still be bottlenecked by the CPU.

150 + players used to be possible with 1.3 and prior Minecraft versions. Although with each update, there is a sever performance decrease. For example one server used to be able to hold 200 players with 1.2, with 1.3 100 and with 1.4 only 40 and they later shut it down because of the performance decrease and lag. All with the same server too..

Would anyone know what a server like super-earth.net is hosted on? I get great connection with them even at 100 users....
    I believe, forgot the model, but one of the top Xeon quads, that you can get, with like 16 gigs of RAM. They used to have lots of block lag, with around 70-80 players though. Although I believe they fixed that, by modifying some things in the Bukkit server mod.

EDIT: They use:
    Dual Intel Xeon E5620s
    32 GB DDR3 RAM (upgradeable up to 64 GB)
    250GB HDD x4 in RAID10
    Dell PowerEdge RAID Card
    Transfer at 100mbit

EDIT: Their host is TAILORMADESERVERS.

Tailormadeservers is excellent by the way. They are cheap and very reliable, and I actually use them for my servers.

Now I don't know much about this, but I heard about Amazon EC2. Supposedly you can get a fast CPU instance or something like that, that will outperform any CPU core? I have no clue about this though and not sure how it would work with Minecraft.
    Last edited by NateN34; 05-05-2011 at 06:04 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Trust me, I have been running Minecraft servers and all over the place and been around it for a while now. There is no type of server, not matter how much money you throw at it, that will host 200 or even 300. Those slot limits are just to make the server look good, when in reality they can only hold around 90, before they keep getting block lag.

Unless you can find a super computer, with a 10 ghz per core process, then that big of a server will never happen, until Minecraft is multithreaded. CPU is the biggest bottleneck, as Minecraft just eats it alive, especially if you are using any type of server mod. You could have 32 gigs of DDR3 RAM and have the server running fully in the RAMdisk, but it will still be bottlenecked by the CPU.

150 + players used to be possible with 1.3 and prior Minecraft versions. Although with each update, there is a sever performance decrease. For example one server used to be able to hold 200 players with 1.2, with 1.3 100 and with 1.4 only 40 and they later shut it down because of the performance decrease and lag. All with the same server too..

I believe, forgot the model, but one of the top Xeon quads, that you can get, with like 16 gigs of RAM. They used to have lots of block lag, with around 70-80 players though. Although I believe they fixed that, by modifying some things in the Bukkit server mod.

EDIT: They use:
    Dual Intel Xeon E5620s
    32 GB DDR3 RAM (upgradeable up to 64 GB)
    250GB HDD x4 in RAID10
    Dell PowerEdge RAID Card
    Transfer at 100mbit

EDIT: Their host is TAILORMADESERVERS.

Now I don't know much about this, but I heard about Amazon EC2. Supposedly you can get a fast CPU instance or something like that, that will outperform any CPU core? I have no clue about this though and not sure how it would work with Minecraft.
    I take back saying your the troll here. You seem like a genious with minecraft hosting and exactly the guy i need to help me with this.

Mind some questions please?
    First one when you say block lag (Not super familiar with the term i just got into hosting a server at 1.3 and was always around 10-15 users untill recently quite a bit more) anyways do you mean when, i went on super earth to try it out once, with around 110 people online, when i break a block, it falls on the ground as an entity to pick up or whatever, and i walk over it, and it takes 5-6 seconds to go into my inventory? Lol sorry for my dumbness.

What would you suggest then that i go with. Id love a good 50-60 people average...if it cant handle more i guess it cant. But id love to host that many and do have the demand/staff for it. I have around 30 on sometimes and it starts laggin hard.... 22 is handled no problem on my tinnie 2mbup connection believe it or not lol.

I need windows 2008 server (Im most familiar with windows.)
    I need mysql (For LWC2.31/Bigbrother1.8[409]/jail0.6.1) and thats it i think...lol

Again im not a genious i just run a nice minecraft server and wanna expand, and ive got the big bucks for it, i fell in love with the game and managing a server.

So yea... what i mentioned above, for 50-60 users... with NO lag at all.. if possible ? And something...atleast over 100 bucks, and not in germany, i couldnt even understand that website... and am a quality freak since i have the money for it.

EDIT:
    I went on http://www.tailormadeservers.com/order.php
    Lol they have a jump from 149.99$ to 409.99$ .... nothing in between
    Im guessing superearth uses the 400/month?

EDIT2:
    Got this from their minecraftforum.net post (http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewto...=1025&t=130873)
    "- Server hardware that packs a serious punch - Dual E5560, 32 GB RAM, 100 mbit dedicated connection -" So im assuming they on the 400/month ... wow and they still have that lag when i played ... thats... insane.

EDIT3 - lol
    Wait...that package doesnt have 32GB.. jeez what in the world are they on then? Something custom from that host? ... oh i see it now, its a custom package you can make from them

EDIT4 - my bad
    https://www.tailormadeservers.com looks really good like you suggested
    Which package do you think i should go with for my needs, and how should i edit it? I mean...disk space doesnt matter right.. its just the map lol.
    So i just gotta spice the cpu + ram up right?
    Hows this:
    http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/23/84794057.jpg
    Last edited by andrewkm; 05-05-2011 at 06:21 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

I take back saying your the troll here. You seem like a genious with minecraft hosting and exactly the guy i need to help me with this.

Mind some questions please?
    First one when you say block lag (Not super familiar with the term i just got into hosting a server at 1.3 and was always around 10-15 users untill recently quite a bit more) anyways do you mean when, i went on super earth to try it out once, with around 110 people online, when i break a block, it falls on the ground as an entity to pick up or whatever, and i walk over it, and it takes 5-6 seconds to go into my inventory? Lol sorry for my dumbness.

What would you suggest then that i go with. Id love a good 50-60 people average...if it cant handle more i guess it cant. But id love to host that many and do have the demand/staff for it. I have around 30 on sometimes and it starts laggin hard.... 22 is handled no problem on my tinnie 2mbup connection believe it or not lol.

I need windows 2008 server (Im most familiar with windows.)
    I need mysql (For LWC2.31/Bigbrother1.8[409]/jail0.6.1) and thats it i think...lol

Again im not a genious i just run a nice minecraft server and wanna expand, and ive got the big bucks for it, i fell in love with the game and managing a server.

So yea... what i mentioned above, for 50-60 users... with NO lag at all.. if possible ? And something...atleast over 100 bucks, and not in germany, i couldnt even understand that website... and am a quality freak since i have the money for it.
    By block lag, yeah what you said is block lag too. Although it is also when you break or place a block and it returns back after you break it. This is caused by a disk i/o bottleneck or CPU bottleneck.

For 50-60 users, I would recommend:
    -Xeon X3470 or similar Intel CPU. Avoid AMD processors, too slow per core compared to Intel's and more cores is pointless.
    -8gb + RAM -- If you can find 16 gb RAM, that is even better! Trust me Minecraft leaks so darn much RAM.
    - Fast RAID configuration, for MySQL. Bigbrother is hard on the disk. Put the world(s) in the RAMdisk.
    - 3-4 TB+/month 100 mbit connection will be more than enough. Uses ~3 mbit for 15 people.

Not sure what host would be best for that. Someone should be able to recommend one that can offer that in your price range.

https://www.tailormadeservers.com/or...FER=WHTSPECIAL

EDIT: Also you can check Joses' deal threads on his profile. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/member.php?u=29657

EDIT: Don't get a Core 2, trust me lol. That is what I have and its choking hard with Minecraft.

EDIT: And they have lag because Minecraft is single threaded and prefers powerful cores over the quantity of them. All those extra cores do nothing good for them. Unless they want to run garbage collection on 8 different threads, lmao(useless).
    Is worth checking out too.
    Last edited by NateN34; 05-05-2011 at 06:37 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

If this is what you would like, why not just take something like this :

Xeon Dual Core
    16GB RAM
    1TB HDD X 2
    RAID Hardware

Have a few of them servers. You'd be able to get about 70 X number of servers. Although they won't be connected but hey... you get to run a lot of them all together.

But since as said by NateN34, there's no point getting too huge a server for no reason. So I guess what I stated above should be more than sufficient for your use.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com
      0 Not allowed!

CPU: Xeon X3470
    Mem: 16GB DDR3 RAM
    HDD: 500GB SATA-II
    BW: 5500 Gigs+ (100Mbps)

OR

Mem: 8GB DDR3 RAM
    BW: 3250 Gigs+ (100Mbps)

The X3470 is more powerful than the E5620, so you would actually be above Super-Earth in CPU power(per core).
    Last edited by NateN34; 05-05-2011 at 06:45 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

For 50-60 users, I would recommend:
    -Xeon X3470 or similar Intel CPU. Avoid AMD processors, too slow per core compared to Intel's and more cores is pointless.
    -8gb + RAM -- If you can find 16 gb RAM, that is even better! Trust me Minecraft leaks so darn much RAM.
    - Fast RAID configuration, for MySQL. Bigbrother is hard on the disk. Put the world(s) in the RAMdisk.
    - 3-4 TB+/month 100 mbit connection will be more than enough. Uses ~3 mbit for 15 people.
    How would this suit me:
    Got it from here:
    https://www.tailormadeservers.com/or...FAULT-i7&CFG=1
    SETUP:
    http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6398/72395618.jpg

Can you help with the fields "HDD2:, Control panel:, Hardware raid:, and R1soft backup (if i even need it)

This is my first server, and im terrible with this stuff, but a fast learned. Just gotta get it all sorted out.

For control panel how would it be as easy as possible for me. Like would the computer basically be rented out by me and mine? I usually teamviewer my computer lol when i travel and want to manage server... would it like that, or can i do something like that watch the console and so on if i need to.. instead of refreshing server.log lol

EDIT: Don't get a Core 2, trust me lol. That is what I have and its choking hard with Minecraft.
    Xeon is better im assuming? The one i chose above?

run garbage collection
    tried that once after reading sk89qs tutorial on it. Didnt make a difference

EDIT:
    just saw your above post during the time i was writing mine, oops reading it now.

Mem: 16GB DDR3 RAM
    BW: 5500 Gigs+ (100Mbps)

I really can't find much info on the E5560, but my guess is that the x3470 is more powerful per core. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Curious why would i require 4 HDDs.. ? world is only 500megs lol? Unless its something i dont know that i need (Im assuming you mean raid-0, where they all work together to be faster...but umm... one fails...im screwed right?)
    Last edited by andrewkm; 05-05-2011 at 06:51 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

I'd recommend asking if they have any SSD drives. 100+ Users writing simultaneously will create huge block problems on normal drives. Normal drives might be OK in a raid setup.

So if you can, try and get a small SSD mounted for just the world and player files, and have a small SATA drive for the OS.

16GB RAM will probably be best for 100+ users. I don't think 8GB would cut it.

Have a look around in the offers section
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom, View Post
    I'd recommend asking if they have any SSD drives. 100+ Users writing simultaneously will create huge block problems on normal drives. Normal drives might be OK in a raid setup.

So if you can, try and get a small SSD mounted for just the world and player files, and have a small SATA drive for the OS.

16GB RAM will probably be best for 100+ users. I don't think 8GB would cut it.

Have a look around in the offers section
    RAMdisk for the world. All the chunk writing and disk smashing is from the World. Easy way to save money and smoke SSD's.

MySQL plays a small part in this, but I am sure 4 hard drives could handle it.

EDIT: Yeh, try get a a couple of hard drives. 3 would be good. 8 gb RAM would be fine for 50 players and would be pushing it too much for 100.
    Last edited by NateN34; 05-05-2011 at 06:57 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

[QUOTE=andrewkm;7434903]How would this suit me:
    Got it from here:
    https://www.tailormadeservers.com/or...FAULT-i7&CFG=1
    SETUP:
    http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6398/72395618.jpg

Can you help with the fields "HDD2:, Control panel:, Hardware raid:, and R1soft backup (if i even need it)

This is my first server, and im terrible with this stuff, but a fast learned. Just gotta get it all sorted out.

For control panel how would it be as easy as possible for me. Like would the computer basically be rented out by me and mine? I usually teamviewer my computer lol when i travel and want to manage server... would it like that, or can i do something like that watch the console and so on if i need to.. instead of refreshing server.log lol

Xeon is better im assuming? The one i chose above?

run garbage collectionQUOTE]

tried that once after reading sk89qs tutorial on it. Didnt make a difference

EDIT:
    just saw your above post during the time i was writing mine, oops reading it now.

Curious why would i require 4 HDDs.. ? world is only 500megs lol? Unless its something i dont know that i need.
    Your not going to be able to have 100 users connected writing to a 7.2k SATA drive, even if you use ramdisk. You could try two drives in RAID 0 or four in RAID 5 but I still thin you'll have huge block problems.
      0 Not allowed!

Ok guys here is what I have so far.
    http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/964/55141935t.jpg

Still need help with the Hardware Raid options... and control panel thing.
    ? Please and thank you

PS: If theres anything i can do like write somewhere that you referred me nate i would gladly do it.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom, View Post
    Your not going to be able to have 100 users connected writing to a 7.2k SATA drive, even if you use ramdisk. You could try two drives in RAID 0 or four in RAID 5 but I still thin you'll have huge block problems.
    If you are running the world in the RAMdisk, then block lag or any other chunk writing problems will not be a problem at all. Especially with the new world format, as it is FAR more efficient and easier on the disk.

As far as the hard drives, you will want something that can handle huge databases, with over 1.5 million rows constantly being modified.

Ok guys here is what I have so far.
    http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/964/55141935t.jpg

Still need help with the Hardware Raid options... and control panel thing.
    ? Please and thank you

PS: If theres anything i can do like write somewhere that you referred me nate i would gladly do it.
    Wow, that looks very good. As far as the control panel, I would not have a clue. I actually use a free, noobish control panel, called WebMin. It does everything I want, all in one place, from managing Cronjobs, to MySQL databases and server information.
    Last edited by NateN34; 05-05-2011 at 07:07 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, this is embarrassing.

I just noticed that it is Windows server in your screenshot, as your OS.

Is Windows Server 2008 the OS, that you surely want to use?

I am not sure as to what control panels would be good or available for Windows. Also I would have no clue as to how to setup a RAMdisk on Windows Server

I am sure some other people here would know and be able to help you.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, this is embarrassing.

I just noticed that it is Windows server in your screenshot, as your OS.

Is Windows Server 2008 the OS, that you surely want to use?

I am not sure as to what control panels would be good or available for Windows. Also I would have no clue as to how to setup a RAMdisk on Windows Server

I am sure some other people here would know and be able to help you.
    Yes id like to use windows server 2008 rc 2 because ive heard good things about it and prefer it.

I am wondering though...
    is it possible to have such a thing as remote desktop on your dedicated server? Like would i be able to use it like a normal computer, and control it. (I heard its only possible on windows OS servers...im just checking to make sure.)

Never did this before.
      0 Not allowed!

Windows Server 2008 does indeed include Remote Desktop. So just login from your pc and you can use it just like it was next to you.

Regarding your setup, you have 4x 250GB drives but no RAID selected. If i was you i would choose RAID10 as that will give you the best speed but only 500GB of usable space.

As others have said the current restriction that everyone faces is that Minecraft does not properly utalise multiple cpu cores. When that is fixed it will totally change the sort of specification server that is required.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Rackedeu View Post
    Windows Server 2008 does indeed include Remote Desktop. So just login from your pc and you can use it just like it was next to you.

Regarding your setup, you have 4x 250GB drives but no RAID selected. If i was you i would choose RAID10 as that will give you the best speed but only 500GB of usable space.

As others have said the current restriction that everyone faces is that Minecraft does not properly utalise multiple cpu cores. When that is fixed it will totally change the sort of specification server that is required.
    What is KVM in their purchase page?
    Is this what i need to get for the remote access? KVM over IP?
      0 Not allowed!

Hi,

Try Netrouting Miami. Savvas is doing a good job over there and has his own network connected. We're using their colocation facility in the Netherlands and I'm glad to be connected to their network. They are using Globalcrossing in Miami as well. Globalcrossing is one of the best carriers and Cogentco will be connected soon.

http://netrouting.com or send an e-mail to sales@netrouting.eu
      0 Not allowed!

What is KVM in their purchase page?
    Is this what i need to get for the remote access? KVM over IP?
    Windows has built in remote access, KVMoIP is required if you wish to have bios level control or you have a problem booting into windows.

I personally would not bother with a KVM on a windows machine.
      0 Not allowed!

We've got 3400+ Minecraft servers running and their total combined bandwidth usage is just less than 50TB/month.

Honestly, you don't need some huge powerful server for a single Minecraft server. You can pick up a cheap $50/month Intel Atom box and run it from there with 1-2GB Ram and easily fit 50-100 active users in the map.
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Used to be a full time server administrator, now I help build cruise ships and inspect homes.
    My company, Ferrell Solutions, specializes in home inspections and property management.
    RecallScan is a service for monitoring appliances and vehicles in your home for recalls.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast