How to connect internet in two PC through switch/Lan?

I have two PC and want to connect internet in both PC through switch. I Plug in internet cable of both PC to 5-port switch and one internet cable from modem to switch. These all well connected and showing power on light in switch. I keep internet setting automatically detected and work-group of both PC is same. But I got error unidentified connection in both PC while connection is well establish. So want to know that there is other setting required to run internet in both PC or need to run any wizard to access internet properly in both PC.

Please give me suggestion.

You need a router between the internet connection and the computers. Chances are the two computers are trying to obtain an IP address each from the ISP, but that isn't permitted. The use of a router will assign a local network IP (as many as needed), and use one outbound IP assigned from the ISP.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

The line connection is correct. I had done it about a year back with a cheap 8 port switch but don't recall having got any such error.

Try this: switch off the power to the modem and restart the system. After the system is rebooted fully power on the modem again and wait for a few minutes before checking if its connected.

You should properly connect both PC's with switch via LAN cable, connect modem to 1st port of your switch. Please make sure that you have DHCP on your network otherwise you have to configure LAN setting manually for both PC's and it includes setting up manual IPs for both.

Quote Originally Posted by johnston981 View Post
    You should properly connect both PC's with switch via LAN cable, connect modem to 1st port of your switch. Please make sure that you have DHCP on your network otherwise you have to configure LAN setting manually for both PC's and it includes setting up manual IPs for both.
    I have set automatic IP address option in both PC. Connection is right. However in my one PC has Windows7 while another has Windows XP. Might it be due to different windows using in both PC?

Like it was states before, you need a router. Your ISP will permit you one IP address, the router will use NAT to give you private ip addresses, generally 192 range by default.

If you took the connection from your router into the switch, both pcs would get an ip address automatically aslong as dhcp was set up on the router.

A switch will allow computers to talk to each other without a router as it used MAC addressing instead of IP addressing, but in order to distribute an internet connection you will you definitely need a router, providing NAT and DHCP
    Last edited by Digg; 05-10-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Was unclear
    Simon,

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I will follow your tips to get solution.

Quote Originally Posted by RajanUrs View Post
    The line connection is correct. I had done it about a year back with a cheap 8 port switch but don't recall having got any such error.

Try this: switch off the power to the modem and restart the system. After the system is rebooted fully power on the modem again and wait for a few minutes before checking if its connected.
    that might be because all those years ago it wasnt an 8port switch it was proberly an 8 port hub.

Hub
    Switch
    Router

all three are very different.

what the OP wants to do simple wont work with a switch.

either needs to set one machine up to be master and use a hub or buy a router simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Flumps View Post
    that might be because all those years ago it wasnt an 8port switch it was proberly an 8 port hub.

Hub
    Switch
    Router

all three are very different.

what the OP wants to do simple wont work with a switch.

either needs to set one machine up to be master and use a hub or buy a router simple as that.

This is what I had used with an ISP provided ADSL2+ modem: http://shopping.expressindia.com/?page=detail&pId=39205

It was connected like this: Phoneline - Splitter - Modem - Switch - two systems (neither was set up as master)
    Last edited by RajanUrs; 05-12-2011 at 07:42 AM.

That is because the ADSL2+ modem also acts as a router.

So @OP: check your modem first whether it is modem only or modem+router.
    If it is the former, you will need a router OR set 1 computer as one.
    If it is the later, just plug your modem/router to the switch and ensure that DHCP is enabled on it.

Good Luck !

Quote Originally Posted by RajanUrs View Post
    This is what I had used with an ISP provided ADSL2+ modem: http://shopping.expressindia.com/?page=detail&pId=39205

It was connected like this: Phoneline - Splitter - Modem - Switch - two systems (neither was set up as master)
    Try connecting your router on each of your computers (without the switch). Does both computers have internet?

If not then check your IP settings on both pcs.
    If it worked, check if your switch have additional settings to configure.

Right click on LAN. You'll see some options there. Double click on IPv4 and do the rest as given above!

configure both computers to obtain ip address automatically, then enable the DHCP server on your DSL router now connect the pc,s in such a way
    === D S L router ======= S W I T C H ======= P C 'S
    and you should be good to go .