hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : MX questions

Forum Jump

MX questions

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

MX questions

I am an end user and I have several domains with their respective e-mail accounts which I manage myself.
I have signed a contract with a large multinational which is allowing me to use one of their domain names (let's call it multinational.com)and associated e-mail (abc@multinational.com), however the web site must be hosted on their servers and they do not wish to manage the e-mails.
They have told me "tell me where to point the MX"...

My question: if I give them the MX of one my current domains, will I be able to send mails with the @multinational.com address? or will I be limited to the @mydomain.com to which it is pointed?

If this were possible how should the MX records be written, would it be:

multinational.com MX 10 mydomain.com

Thanks for your help because as you can probably guess I am quite confused.

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Yes you will be abe to send using @multinational.com address.
The MX address will be your mailserver so check what the mx record is for your current mydomain.com
hth

Old
Community Liaison 2.0

I suggest you also ask the admins of multinational.com to also include mydomain.com in their SPF record as a permitted sender.

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Sponsored Links
Old
Disabled

Yes, you can send mails with the multinational.com address but if they include your domain name in their SPF record as a permitted sender then it will be better for you.