dell 6248 compatible 1g optics?

Hi everyone,

I've got a need to use 1gbit optics with my dell powerconnect 6248 switch. I bought some off ebay that aren't working, and I'm not sure if it's because they're broken or just not compatible. Have tried them in two switches and haven't gotten a link nor have I gotten any visible laser light output like I've gotten with 10g optics before.

These are the ones that I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1293wt_1064

SFP module transceiver, SM 1000Base-LX LH, 1310nm, 10Km

The SFS-7010-L31 is a Gigabit Ethernet SFP (Small Form Pluggable) optical module with 1.25G data rate and LC optical connector.

It operates as 1000Base-LX standard, covering a range of 10Km singlemode fiber optical circuit. It can be used in any modern Ethernet switch equipped with SFP (miniGBIC) slots, as well as on any of the fiber optic media converters with SFP slot provided on eBay by sales_fo4all.

The optical module has been tested and found 100% compatible with various Ethernet switches from major manufacturers like: Cisco, Nortel, Extreme, ZyXEL, D-Link or Netgear.

Technical Specifications:

Operating media :SM - singlemode fiber 9/125um (10Km - distance covered)
    Data rate : 1.25G
    Optical connector : LC
    Wavelength :1310nm
    Max. Output Power(dBm) : -3 dBm
    Min. Output Power (dBm) : -9.5 dBm
    Sensitivity (dBm) : -20 dBm
    Power budget (dB) : 10.5 dB
    Diode type : FP
    the seller has 100% feedback, and they're listed as new, and both are not working for me, so is it safe to assume they're simply not compatible? Is there anything else similar that will work that also has LC connectors? (I've already ordered LC cross connects) Or are these supposed to be compatible in the first place?
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Why don't you buy them directly from Dell?
    We also had issues with using non-Dell brand SFP+ optics on Dell switches (the 5548's).

We then ordered SFP datacables which are working ok (it's like an optic / cable in 1). The only disadvantage is that they are limited to a few meters.
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

well, I believe these are just SFP, not SFP+ (SFP+ is 10gbit right?). The XFP / 10gbit optics I've bought all worked no issue, just not had luck with the 1gbit so far.

As to the reason not to buy the Dell ones, I assume they cost an arm and a leg (could be wrong I guess, will check on that), whereas these were $50 apiece.

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    .....and haven't gotten a link nor have I gotten any visible laser light output like I've gotten with 10g optics before.
    First, 1310nm is outside of the visible spectrum of light. 850nm, the most common multi-mode wavelength, is near infrared but still visible. I would try to avoid looking directly into either, especially the more powerful LX/LH optics.

That said, most generic LX/LH optics should work in there. While I have no experience with the 6248 in specific, the few Dell's I have used haven't been very picky.
    iCall Carrier Services - Carrier-grade VoIP services from a licensed CLEC - http://carriers.icall.com
    Domestic termination and origination, toll-free origination, A-Z International termination, dedicated servers, and colocation in our wholly-owned datacenter
    Real-time ordering via our control panel or XML-based API with over 20,000 numbers in stock

Quote Originally Posted by voipcarrier View Post
    First, 1310nm is outside of the visible spectrum of light. 850nm, the most common multi-mode wavelength, is near infrared but still visible. I would try to avoid looking directly into either, especially the more powerful LX/LH optics.

That said, most generic LX/LH optics should work in there. While I have no experience with the 6248 in specific, the few Dell's I have used haven't been very picky.
    Thanks for that info on the wavelength, it hadn't occurred to me that it might be invisible. Even so, the switch doesn't seem to detect the optics, and the light doesn't come on showing that it's powered up, so I would think they're not working.

I haven't hooked up a cable yet to them because the cross connect isn't in place, but the 10g optics show up in the switch configurations and diagnostics even without any cables attached, so I would assume the SFP's would do the same.

Last I quoted MM sfp for dell gear are like $100/ea or something. I know the last gen and new gen dell switches had different part numbers for the SFP.

Ask your dell rep for a PN then find a cheapo model.
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

Quote Originally Posted by Visbits View Post
    Last I quoted MM sfp for dell gear are like $100/ea or something. I know the last gen and new gen dell switches had different part numbers for the SFP.

Ask your dell rep for a PN then find a cheapo model.
    Sounds like a good plan. $100 is more than I paid for the other ones, but it's certainly not going to break the bank, especially to get one that actually works. Will look into this.

PM me your email, I will forward you any quotes for dell switches I've had the past few months.

http://hostthenpost.org/tyler/2011-05-04_2033.png Looks like $55.89 for the MM SFP..

thanks for that info. my email is gabe at ioflood.com (as per my signature). Unfortunately, need LX optics / single mode fiber as that's what it's being terminated to.

Sent, look for tyler@.

Quote Originally Posted by voipcarrier View Post

MM and SM LX/LH optics are powered by LEDs. Its the 1500 stuff that is powered by lasers.. those are the ones that can give you free lasik eye surgery without knowing.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

Not sure why you are having problems any cisco compatable sfp works fine in dell equipment. SM SFP optics run about 25 bucks a pop off ebay or less i think we paid 20 each for our last order of 20 or so.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net