VPS required- detailed explanation of my needs

- Need USA based company and USA based data center

- Project - web site with 75,000 registered members. Each member has to log in a few times a year to complete training units (text, survey questions, maybe some streaming video, and some discussion forums). There is no particular time that users must log in but it may get lots of traffic around Nov/Dec due to user procrastination.

-Project Languages/Framework Asp.net 4, MVC 3, SQL Server. I could use SQL express but think SQL standard or web would be better long term. (your thoughts?)

-Server needs - not exactly sure but I am guessing a VPS or Dedicated. I really prefer to have it managed by the host. IMO it is money well spent. So at this point I don't think I need admin access but I might need it in the future incase a 3rd party graphing tool needs installed. I will need a dedicated certificate too. I don't need tons of storage space. I think 10-20 G should be fine. I would like backups with at least 14 day retention.

-Budget - $100 to $300 a month (includes hosting + service)

- I would a company that offers excellent support for my type of needs (a single vps or dedicated server). That is, I would be concerned hosting at a site that has a million $2.99 per month domains (too many small fish).

- I prefer a control panel like plesk over remote desktop.

- I would like hosting that does not keep the SQL server ports wide open. I would like a vpn or secure connection to enable management studio to connect.

- I would like to be able to to scale without having to reinstall/reconfigure everything. I want to be able to add ram/cpu allocation without too much hassle or move from a vps to a dedicated server. I think that I would need at most 1 dedicated server given the project size. Your thoughts on this too?

- And of course - I don't want the online help chat to change anything to my site without proper verification.

- Might have to be HIPAA compliant later but I would worry about this later.

I might think of some more requirements later. I am curious to see what is offered and if anyone can offer suggestions/experience based on my requirements.

Hi Jaybers,

Your budget definitely is great for your project and everything you require any VPS or Dedicated provider should be able to offer. I would recommend starting out with a dedicated server if you don't want the hassle to move from a VPS to a dedicated server, especially since the project is quite large and could potentially grow.

Do you have any specific processor, RAM and bandwidth requirements?

One thing I did not point out is that 75000 person membership should be pretty stable. That is the number of people in the organization and I don't anticipate it growing more than say 2% or 3% each year.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybers View Post
    One thing I did not point out is that 75000 person membership should be pretty stable. That is the number of people in the organization and I don't anticipate it growing more than say 2% or 3% each year.
    I would recommend you go with a Quad Core or Dual Quad Core, this should be great for your project.

5. From my experience, based on that amount of users, you would most likely need to go with a dedicated server, especially since this would be a Windows solution which would require more processing power. If I were to name a company that would spring to mind after reading your requirements, it would be Lunarpages. Some might say their services are a bit pricey, but they are worth it as they do have excellent support and managed plans that you can add to your server so they would monitor it for you and install various software and such. Their upgrades are pretty seamless as they did almost everything for me when I had to upgrade from a VPS plan to a dedicated server some time ago. All in all, I would warmly recommend them as their Windows administrators do know what they're doing.

I'd suggest you go with highend VPS or dedicated server.
    In my opinion, highend VPS is sufficient to handle your project well.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

I would suggest going into a high-end XEN VPS; or a nice dedicated server.

Do you need management?
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

-Project Languages/Framework Asp.net 4, MVC 3, SQL Server. I could use SQL express but think SQL standard or web would be better long term. (your thoughts?)
    You should use Web Edition. Express edition has limit of 1GB Memory and 1CPU which is not enough for busy database driven site.
    High end vps is a good option because you can backup the whole vps image and move to a more powerful server when you need upgrade.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL SmarterMail Enterprise

I recommend Up2VPS.com Windows VPS plans, they have Windows Server 2008, 2003, R2 version which will be a great help.

I also suggest you do go with a high-performance vps or a dedicated server, this will make sure it will fit your needs.

I hope this helps!

I think firehost might be exactly what you're looking for; it's scalable, fully managed, and HIPAA compliant. Another thing that might be worth looking at is rackspace cloud, but I think firehost is better fit, and will probably be cheaper.

I haven't use firehost, and I've used rackspace for email hosting, but as I said, they seem to fit your requirements.

Yes, you should go with dedicated server (at least quad core) and 8 GB RAM. You can start with MS SQL workgroup edition. Check the offer section for good dedicated server offers at USA data center
    Dedicated server India | VPS Hosting India

Managed dedicated server and VPS hosting at 8 data centers in India, USA , Australia (Sydney), Singapore, Malaysia (Cyberjaya), China (Beijing) and UAE (Dubai) .

I agree that with your budget and requirements you will probably be better off with a managed dedicated server.

- Might have to be HIPAA compliant later but I would worry about this later.
    I would look into this now. You may have to move the server if HIPAA is like PCI for financial information. The requirements can be really tough on some of these things, requiring the server to be in a locked cage and physically accessible only by bonded techs, etc. This requirement can severely limit who can host your server.

Quote Originally Posted by Question Everything View Post
    I think firehost might be exactly what you're looking for; it's scalable, fully managed, and HIPAA compliant. Another thing that might be worth looking at is rackspace cloud, but I think firehost is better fit, and will probably be cheaper.

I haven't use firehost, and I've used rackspace for email hosting, but as I said, they seem to fit your requirements.
    +1 for firehost. I've read a lot of good stuff about them. They seem like a good fit for you, but that's for you to decide.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net