Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    http://serversdirect.com/product.asp?pf_id=SY4722

is what we are using. nothing special we slap 6x 15k 6G/s drives in + 2 sata drives and its a happy xen server. We could throw xen on a thumb drive but were not that greedy. Mainly due to the non oversubscribe model we do for these vms.
    why get something like that?

its not either dense, nor super cheap (its ok considering its SM), but why pay for a chassis that does not excel in no aspect I can possibly think of?

- it hosts 1 mobo
    - ok the psu looks solid ( 80+, RPSU), has UIO , what else does it make it worth?

if SM is the only way you can go ( not my case), then :

SC825TQ

is quite cheap, add a good psu and the mobo you want ( could all be SM ) and would end up being cheaper.

Ofc, if you need several hundreds, then man power might be a factor . I think its not the case as you mentioned that adding a powerful raid might not cut the ROI .
    Last edited by elvis1; 05-06-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
    why get something like that?

its not either dense, nor super cheap (its ok considering its SM), but why pay for a chassis that does not excel in no aspect I can possibly think of?

- it hosts 1 mobo
    - ok the psu looks solid ( 80+, RPSU), has UIO , what else does it make it worth?

if SM is the only way you can go ( not my case), then :

SC825TQ

is quite cheap, add a good psu and the mobo you want ( could all be SM ) and would end up being cheaper.

Ofc, if you need several hundreds, then man power might be a factor . I think its not the case as you mentioned that adding a powerful raid might not cut the ROI .

• It works for what we want it to do
    • its a superserver no assembly required, my techs time is better spent doing other tasks than building servers
    • Space? We don't care about space we have over 5k sq feet and over half a mw of power.
    • Cost is 5k per server for us for the specs we require
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

I get it. What I was considering was that you might save costs by having someone assemble and test the server for you than buy the bundle but that does not seem to be the case

I would agree that building a "big bad vps server" is not the best idea unless you're sure you can fill it with customers first. Build a server that can take 10-30 clients, and you'll probably be able to fill it. Maybe if you make the wrong business decisions you won't make as much off the server as you were planning, but things will generally be ok. Build a server that can take 60-200 clients, and now you've got a real problem if your intended offer and pricing doesn't go over well with people. Not only that, but a mid range server can easily be repurposed for something else. A "big bad vps server" that can handle 200 clients is not as easily going to be rented out to someone else or repurposed.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Makes tons of sense Gabe!!

Not the idea of OP but I guess that Ive just thought about just a case ( which BTW is not my situation ), but as Spudstr makes reference he has a 5 k sqft DC or cage I guess he has more than 10-30 vps clients to fill an "average" server and a "bad ass" would make you able to squeeze investments ( yeah with more risk if server gets nasty)

Not the idea of OP but I guess that Ive just thought about just a case ( which BTW is not my situation ), but as Spudstr makes reference he has a 5 k sqft DC or cage I guess he has more than 10-30 vps clients to fill an "average" server and a "bad ass" would make you able to squeeze investments ( yeah with more risk if server gets nasty)
    Certainly it all depends on the situation. If you're setting up 10 new vps clients a day, then it's really no issue and you should just buy whatever gives the most bang for the buck. If you're not even selling VPS's yet, and are looking to buy some hardware in order to start doing that, start small.

Actually around 15 per server. Its about the quality service you provide, not the race to the bottom.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6

Actually around 15 per server. Its about the quality service you provide, not the race to the bottom.
    Just an example mind you. I find most of my VPS customers don't need a lot of cpu or disk i/o. Because of this I'm more constrained by available ram than anything else. A "typical" vps server with 4 disks, 16gb ram, and a quad core cpu might have 10-12 customers on it, whereas a 72gb ram dual quad core server with 16 disks in it would need to have 4x as many customers in it to get full.

In either case, my point wasn't "how many customers you should fit on a machine", but rather, if a given box has 4x the capacity at 3x the price, it still might make sense to go for the smaller server even though it gives less bang for the buck, simply because you won't have a lot of unused capacity if your business model doesn't work quite as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    Just an example mind you. I find most of my VPS customers don't need a lot of cpu or disk i/o. Because of this I'm more constrained by available ram than anything else. A "typical" vps server with 4 disks, 16gb ram, and a quad core cpu might have 10-12 customers on it, whereas a 72gb ram dual quad core server with 16 disks in it would need to have 4x as many customers in it to get full.

In either case, my point wasn't "how many customers you should fit on a machine", but rather, if a given box has 4x the capacity at 3x the price, it still might make sense to go for the smaller server even though it gives less bang for the buck, simply because you won't have a lot of unused capacity if your business model doesn't work quite as intended.
    not sure why you assume its unused capacity. They are built for a specific purpose to serve a specific purpose. Just because we choose not to oversubscribe a machine is our choice. If we give someone a core they get a core. The customer pays for the resources they bought and have the right to those resources.

There is a reason why our VPS customers have had zero downtime and have been online since inception of some nodes. Weather the box has 16g of ram or 72g of ram it doesn't mean you need to cram what you can into it. Just takes a few customers to start pegging CPU's to make life miserable for everyone else.
    Yellow Fiber Networks

not sure why you assume its unused capacity. They are built for a specific purpose to serve a specific purpose. Just because we choose not to oversubscribe a machine is our choice. If we give someone a core they get a core. The customer pays for the resources they bought and have the right to those resources.

There is a reason why our VPS customers have had zero downtime and have been online since inception of some nodes. Weather the box has 16g of ram or 72g of ram it doesn't mean you need to cram what you can into it. Just takes a few customers to start pegging CPU's to make life miserable for everyone else.
    Again, just an example. Whatever thing it is you consider your limiting factor, buying a server with 4x as much of that resource, at 3x the cost, may or may not be cost effective, even though it would appear to give better bang for the buck at first glance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12