Do I need SFTP in web hosting provider?

Hi.
    I've been told that connecting via SFTP is better for protection rather than FTP. But it seems that a majority of web hosting providers don't offer SFTP. In fact, I don't really ever see it advertised. Am I wrong about SFTP being better? Do most people just not care about encryption while transferring files? Or is there some SFTP alternative that web hosting providers employ?
    Thanks.
    -tres

Many do not advertise it, but most host will allow you SFTP access if you ask them.

Indeed Sftp is better, more secure, you don't want your password on a public network in plain text.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

You don't need it but most hosts will allow you to use it.

It is more secure, you should use it.
    Hydro Host – Affordable UK Web Hosting - cPanel
    Shared Hosting – Reseller Hosting – Domain Name Registration - Affiliate Program
    www.hydro-host.net

Along with that don't save your passwords in the SFTP/FTP client. There have been a few different viruses/worms going around that steal the password then exploit your sites using it.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

SFTP is better, it depends on how secure your network is.

My client asked me if he could use SFTP to transfer encrypted files securely, I just knew that the default port for that SFTP was not enabled but the host provider changed/customied it with another port (2222).

You might also want to check with your host provider if you can't connect through the standard/default SFTP port
    And sure, SFTP is better and more secure than standard FTP.
    Web Hosting Business Guide Book - Getting & Managing Your First 1,000 Clients in Web Hosting
    Enter Your cPanel Login & We'll Back It Up, Every Day! - SiteAutoBackup.Com
    Got WHM instead? Enter your WHM login and we'll backup everything, everyday. It's simple.

SFTP is the most secure medium to transfer files from computer to server and due to this most of the web hosts offer it. However they do not advertise it. It is little bit slow than FTP but offers complete protection form virus during transferring files.

By the way, speaking about that SFTP, which one of these encryption methods is good/better to be used for SFTP: PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) or GPG (Gnu Privacy Guard)?
    Which one is more popular and is used commonly by hosting companies, and why they chose to use either one of them?
    Just curious and want to know the difference between PGP and GPG (cause my client also asked about it, and I couldn't give the proper/right answer).
    Web Hosting Business Guide Book - Getting & Managing Your First 1,000 Clients in Web Hosting
    Enter Your cPanel Login & We'll Back It Up, Every Day! - SiteAutoBackup.Com
    Got WHM instead? Enter your WHM login and we'll backup everything, everyday. It's simple.

Usdually it is not required. But Agree - many hosts offer it on demand.