Disk space reported incorrectly after deleting GIGS of files

Hi,
    Hopefully it's ok to post this here.

I run a small, private imagehost on a dedicated server that has a single 500 gig drive.

Just the other day, i got an email stating that was dispatched from my Directadmin panel saying that disk space is low with 95% of the drive full.

I went into the admin panel of the imagehosting software and deleted perhaps 20 gigs of images.

After running many commands at the command line:
    df -h and du -sh *, my dirve is still showing 95% full.

Code:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda3             448G  400G   25G  95% /
    /dev/sda1              99M   22M   72M  24% /boot
    tmpfs                1009M     0 1009M   0% /dev/shm
    digging deeper into /dev/sda3, i get

Code:
    636K    admin
    4.0K    ftp
    371G    image96
    25G     madman71
    550M    marko
    115M    tmp
    The directory that im dealing with is IMAGE96 It's the one that contains the imagehosting script and images.

I have rebooted the server, and that didnt fix it. And i can not think of any files/service that may be running that would prevent it from dispalying the proper disk space.

any suggestions?

Im running Centos with Directadmin only. No other admin panels. Im very, very limited with my Nix commands. Plz be gentle
    Last edited by russ71; 05-04-2011 at 12:56 PM.

The real question is, did the "Admin Panel" of your image hosting software actually delete anything? You should check your error logs and see if the script had trouble removing files.
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    The real question is, did the "Admin Panel" of your image hosting software actually delete anything? You should check your error logs and see if the script had trouble removing files.

The admin panel of my script showed the number of files uploaded, and that number was greatly reduced after i deleted them. Should i still check the error logs?

i think i might have someone to help you, i will check it and get back to you.

You're deleting it via the Admin Panel. Did you try checking the file name which you deleted within the folder? I bet the file is still there and that nothing got deleted. Like Nich says, scripts may give errors sometimes.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    You're deleting it via the Admin Panel. Did you try checking the file name which you deleted within the folder? I bet the file is still there and that nothing got deleted. Like Nich says, scripts may give errors sometimes.
    yes, i was pruning it via the scripts admin panel. I did it this way because that should also remove the thumbnails associated with the image the image info from the database.

Ok, ill go do a few "delete" tests and i'll report back.

Ok, some good news!

After deleting a few more test files , I went to a gallery where they were posted, and sure enough, the script did not remove them. The images are still there.

According to the script writer, i have to set up a cronjob to get it to work.
    I found this post: https://yabsoft.com/forum/aih-troubl...=pruning+files

thanks for your help guys.

Nice to see you got it working now. Have a nice day then
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Quote Originally Posted by russ71 View Post
    Ok, some good news!

After deleting a few more test files , I went to a gallery where they were posted, and sure enough, the script did not remove them. The images are still there.

According to the script writer, i have to set up a cronjob to get it to work.
    I found this post: https://yabsoft.com/forum/aih-troubl...=pruning+files

thanks for your help guys.
    Ah, that makes sense too. Glad it's working!
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)