Hosted in China, need speed boost for 2-3 clients in the US

Hi, first post, really need some ideas:

My company aims to produce web seminars with streaming webcam, audio conferencing and screen sharing. Average number of guests per session is between 3-500.

All of the guests are in China. The speakers per session come from the US or UK. Because of this, our dedicated server is hosted in China. This is fine for ourChina users, but for US and UK users, the connection speed is very slow, webcam and audio connections are extremely choppy.

We can either switch hosting to the US west coast, but this will slow things down for our 500 Chinese guests for benefit of 2-3 US/Uk guests.

Is there another alternative, that can allow my overseas guests a direct connection to my server, perhaps bypassing the Great Firewall?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Moved > Dedicated Server.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Could you perhaps fashion a system that relayed the data from a US based VPS/server to the Chinese server directly? Or is that what you've tried and has been blocked by the great firewall?
    NetHosted Ltd. - UK Based Web Hosting
    Like us on Facebook!

Could you not look in to using a CDN?
    I do things. - Consumer and b2b IT solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by BretW View Post
    Could you perhaps fashion a system that relayed the data from a US based VPS/server to the Chinese server directly? Or is that what you've tried and has been blocked by the great firewall?
    No, I hadn't considered that. Any more information, on how that might work?

Quote Originally Posted by Akisoft View Post
    Could you not look in to using a CDN?
    I had a consultation with chinacache.com and was told that CDN is not able to handle video-conference software, just static stuff...

Instead of a CDN, they suggested I purchase a private line between the US and China at a price of USD$10,000 per month – not an option.

In theory, should CDN services be able to help, with web conference software?

Try Korean servers. They have good speed to CN and EU/US.
    HK is another option but is considered not as good as KR, since some CN to HK lines are slow.

what conferencing software are you using? It should be possible to setup a reverse proxy on a cheap vps using free software.

Futureguy, the people you talked to obviously didn't know what they were talking about. A large number of CDN providers offer RTMP live support, including Amazon (as part of CloudFront, I think).

Edit: http://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/faq...zon_CloudFront

Q. Does Amazon CloudFront support live streaming?
    Yes. Amazon CloudFront can be used with Amazon EC2 running Adobe's Flash® Media Server and Amazon Route 53 (AWS's DNS service) for live HTTP streaming. We've made this simple for you by creating an AWS CloudFormation template that handles all of the provisioning and sequencing for all the AWS resources you need for this live streaming stack. You pay for the AWS resources you consume, and you have full control over your live streaming origin server (Adobe's Flash® Media Server running on Amazon EC2). A detailed tutorial on live streaming using CloudFront is available here.
    Last edited by Akisoft; 05-04-2011 at 10:17 AM.

I'm not too sure if this would work but perhaps you could try routing your traffic? Perhaps a use of IP Transit/Transport? Route traffic from 1 source to another place then connect from there (should have better speeds).

Did some homework, found a way for you to actually do it via IP Transit. Not sure about the cost but it should be less than US$10,000 per month. Not sure coz I'm not really asking too in-depth about it.
    Last edited by aodat2; 05-04-2011 at 10:25 AM.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

What streaming software do you use?

It depends on the technology you're using... but usually for live streaming what you do is set up 'relays' that will reflect the stream on more than one server... so you could have one on each continent.

Basically, you build your own CDN on the software you're already using.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    What streaming software do you use?

It depends on the technology you're using... but usually for live streaming what you do is set up 'relays' that will reflect the stream on more than one server... so you could have one on each continent.

Basically, you build your own CDN on the software you're already using.
    Depending on the volume of traffic, getting a few US servers from say Softlayer, then a bunch of CN servers (from another provider), this option could work out better than a CDN.

What we do for one client who needs targeted streaming in Asia, Europe and the US is setup an origin machine in the UK, which pushes out to machines in Softlayer (more than one location) for US clients to grab from (we use GeoDNS), pushes out to some hardware in Singapore for our Asian clients and pushes to Amsterdam for Europe. Works pretty well, though if they're volume gets to too high a point - we'd be looking at moving them to something such as Cloudfront, Akamai or one of the other RTMP Live supported providers.

Quote Originally Posted by Akisoft View Post
    Depending on the volume of traffic, getting a few US servers from say Softlayer, then a bunch of CN servers (from another provider), this option could work out better than a CDN.

What we do for one client who needs targeted streaming in Asia, Europe and the US is setup an origin machine in the UK, which pushes out to machines in Softlayer (more than one location) for US clients to grab from (we use GeoDNS), pushes out to some hardware in Singapore for our Asian clients and pushes to Amsterdam for Europe. Works pretty well, though if they're volume gets to too high a point - we'd be looking at moving them to something such as Cloudfront, Akamai or one of the other RTMP Live supported providers.
    Thanks for all the info, I have been in touch with Softlayer and their service looks good.

I also like the idea of a self-built CDN, with an origin machine (in China) that 'pushes' the video stream to perhaps a server in the US and one in the UK (if necessary).

Unfortunately, this is way beyond the ability of myself or my tech staff. Does anyone know of a company that offers consulting services for this type of thing?

PS: I am not sure the brand of software we are using, it's a generic Chinese brand, we'll likely switch to something more robust (like Adobe Connect 8 or something similar) once we get this current issue sorted.

So I guess you're not going to go with IP Transit? All the best in getting your servers up. There's quite a few server management companies around. I'm sure they could help to get your server up and running in no time.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Welltodo Century

Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    So I guess you're not going to go with IP Transit? All the best in getting your servers up. There's quite a few server management companies around. I'm sure they could help to get your server up and running in no time.
    Thanks aodat2, I am looking into the IP transit as well. I fear the complexity of this issue is beyond our in-house abilities though, so I think I will focus more effort on finding a server management company.

If you're actually looking for IP Transit, then I would suggest letting the provider handle the transit part of it and only handle the part of connecting the 2 ends.

It's kinda simple actually.
    Aaron Ong
    Welltodo Century

Location, Location , Location. Even in real estate they will tell you its all about location. I didn't do any research on this as yet but couldn't you simply find a central location to host your clients? This does not mean that everyone will be super charged with high speeds etc but it does mean that everyone will be fairly treated and you can have greater control over the quality of the streaming by upgrading the server specs as well as providing greater bandwidth speed and quality.
    If you're the smartest person in the room then you're in the wrong room

The network in China mainland is not quite good. Host your server from hongkong or taiwan or somewhere closer to China will solve your issue.

NetDNA.com offer CDN with "live zones" for webinars etc, they might work for conferencing software depending on the URL's
    They also have a Pay-As-You-Go brand MaxCDN 1TB of bandwidth costs around $99 dollars, far cheaper than putting servers everywhere in the world.

Try getting a server in the West Coast and link that to your UK/US customers.

Quote Originally Posted by ughosting View Post
    NetDNA.com offer CDN with "live zones" for webinars etc, they might work for conferencing software depending on the URL's
    They also have a Pay-As-You-Go brand MaxCDN 1TB of bandwidth costs around $99 dollars, far cheaper than putting servers everywhere in the world.
    Oops, misread post, MaxCDN would be a good bet.

Can't blame great wall in your case. You need a better cdn service

Quote Originally Posted by Lincxu View Post
    The network in China mainland is not quite good. Host your server from hongkong or taiwan or somewhere closer to China will solve your issue.
    Network in china is not bad in fact. Placed a server in Taiwan also useless, its bandwidth between china us uk is quite limit and expensive. In fact, Japan is much better than hk and tw.

China's outbound speed to countries except china would definetely be much slower. Thus it is much better for those in china