What do you guy's think

What do you guy's think the best cloud service provider is?

I'm currently just browsing for personal use. i don't really have much set requirements/budget i'm currently just browsing looking at different places/products.

A true cloud service, and such. Provide recommendations that you have tried / and details about the service if you can also budget/links that they offer/describe around here if possible.

Thanks in advance.
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

Amazon EC2

This for UK, USA or what?
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

EC2 is my defacto cloud, just because it provides pretty low-level control over your cloud infrastructure alongside the most robust security model I've seen. Not all my apps are simple web servers.

I've had Rackspace Cloud servers in the past and wouldn't really recommend them over EC2 except for some specialized cases. Also, for personal use, they're not going to teach you much about the requirements for web scale software.

The only downside with EC2 is that they're not representative of the new bred of Cloud Hosting that's targeting the mass market appeal of 'cloud'. AWS is as hardcore as you can get.

I'm not so sure about EC2. We have a lot of customers coming from EC2, I also have some customers that run ours and run EC2. Integration with EC2 is the hard part. I guess if you don't "do" it right, you have results like the customers that have come from EC2 that say they have 70% uptime. I guess that's one way that separates other providers that are not agnostic in their setups.

How much time and money do you want to put into it?
    Michael Wallace - michael@innoscale.net
    Innovative Scaling Technologies Inc. - A Cloud Service Provider
    24/7 Support, Call us @ 1-307-200-4880
    www.innoscale.net - Seattle, Silicon Valley, Dallas, Chicago, Washington D.C., and Europe

There's already quite a few different cloud providers out there - many who are specializing in various niches, or have different infrastructure types. So, a lot of it depends on what you're trying to do and your familiarity with cloud hosting/servers. For example, a lot of what we see is people struggle with using EC2 due to it's complexity, while others have zero problems with it. Others aren't nearly flexible enough or their billing isn't setup to be most beneficial for certain consumers.

Are you looking for cloud servers, or cloud hosting. There is quite a big difference between the two.
    PRESSD - Dynamic WordPress Hosting v2 is in BETA status, set to launch 1st q 2019.
    PRESSD is an OKTANE.COMPANY

Quote Originally Posted by tchen View Post
    The only downside with EC2 is that they're not representative of the new bred of Cloud Hosting that's targeting the mass market appeal of 'cloud'. AWS is as hardcore as you can get.
    I don't wanna be "hardcore." At all. I want to be that dumb idiot that doesn't want being a sysadmin as a second job yet wants his website to experience the wonderful/mystical/enterprise-level benefits of the failover/redundancy/uptime of a cloud. Can u blame me?

Quote Originally Posted by B r a n d o n View Post
    Are you looking for cloud servers, or cloud hosting. There is quite a big difference between the two.
    what's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by vader2 View Post
    what's the difference?
    Depends on the providers setup. But one thing for sure is you wouldn't get Root Access with a standard Cloud Shared Hosting account, where as you would with a Cloud VPS Server.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

12. Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    Depends on the providers setup. But one thing for sure is you wouldn't get Root Access with a standard Cloud Shared Hosting account, where as you would with a Cloud VPS Server.
    @HostXNow: I'm trying to figure out exactly what you mean by "Cloud Shared Hosting" by definition all the public clouds are multi-tenant but shared hosting to me implies something different. <<snipped>>

Scott
    Last edited by bear; 05-16-2011 at 04:32 PM.

EC2 FTW, it is run by Amazon and is very reliable, I've never had a problem with it.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Wolf95 View Post
    EC2 FTW, it is run by Amazon and is very reliable, I've never had a problem with it.

Too funny, I guess you don't is the Virginia data center.

Quote Originally Posted by arisythila View Post
    I'm not so sure about EC2. We have a lot of customers coming from EC2, I also have some customers that run ours and run EC2. Integration with EC2 is the hard part. I guess if you don't "do" it right, you have results like the customers that have come from EC2 that say they have 70% uptime. I guess that's one way that separates other providers that are not agnostic in their setups.

How much time and money do you want to put into it?
    If you do it right, you essentially have no downtime.
    If you do it wrong, you end up screwing yourself.

EC2 is a beast that needs to be tamed, pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAtVirtacore View Post
    Too funny, I guess you don't is the Virginia data center.
    I have stuff at ec2 east, had no problems at all.

Cool There's really no such thing as a Cloud Server...

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Mark View Post
    What do you guy's think the best cloud service provider is?

I'm currently just browsing for personal use. i don't really have much set requirements/budget i'm currently just browsing looking at different places/products.

A true cloud service, and such. Provide recommendations that you have tried / and details about the service if you can also budget/links that they offer/describe around here if possible.

Thanks in advance.
    I don't understand why a provider is asking this kind of question. How do you rate your own service?

Take a look over at lowendbox and follow the ratings. You can get good services for 10 bucks a month - buyvm.net has people standing in line. They don't oversell, and when they introduce new nodes for their VPS's all inventory is gone the same day.

That's the mark of a good provider.

In a nutshell, if you can't touch it, it's in the cloud - i.e., there's really no such thing as a "Cloud Server" or "Cloud Hosting". it's just a buzzword to describe a rented host or webhosting account you can get from any rented colo provider, VPS provider, or hosting provider like hostgator, dreamhost, etc.,

In fact, many companies brand both types of services, and sell them as different concepts, while you'll find that you can buy one shared hosting account, one cloud hosting account, and realize they're both on the same actual host.

No such thing as "Cloud Services". You can also call it SaaS, ASP, VPS, rented dedicated host. It's just a marketing term borrowed from the telecommunications industry to describe 'out there somewhere' on, for example, a visio diagram

If you can touch it, it is still in the cloud if it's a forward facing host on the internet and available to others not located where you are

You can argue semantics all day long, but in the words of Mr. Ed: "A host is a host from coast to coast unless of course the horse is Mr. Ed." LOL.

--
    Registered Linux User #190795

- "Ask Bill why the string in [MS-DOS] function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that." - Dr. Gary Kildall.