Slicehost being converted to Rackspace Cloud Servers

In order to prepare for the next set of advancements in Cloud Computing, driven by the industry changing shifts I mentioned above, we will convert current Slicehost accounts to Rackspace Cloud Servers accounts over the next year.
    http://go.rackspace.com/index.php/em...Oeb5BB%2BfA%3D

Great news for Linode. Slicehost has been dying for a while though.

yes as there are budget providers stepping up their game taking away customers from them, i think it is a good move.
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz and GETVZ - Complete VPS Package with SSD Drive

It was more that slicehost's offerings have been behind the times for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickWeb-Roel View Post
    yes as there are budget providers stepping up their game taking away customers from them, i think it is a good move.
    They don't really care about small customers it seems, that's the point. And to be more clear, really small customers will actually pay less on their Cloud Servers, but the middle ground customers will pay more because of bandwidth.

Of course their corporate and big customers won't care, so their served market has just been changed and their original user base pretty much abandoned.
    What did you expect was going to happen?
    6sync is where I've made my home ): // @tenkay

Quote Originally Posted by dyna! View Post
    And to be more clear, really small customers will actually pay less on their Cloud Servers, but the middle ground customers will pay more because of bandwidth.
    Actually, it's more for all if you use your bandwidth.

Slicehost: 256MB slice, 150GB BW = $20/month

Rackspace Cloud: 256MB on all month = $11/month. Bandwidth is 18 cents up/8 cents down. Even if it was only 8 cents for all 150GB, that's $12/month. So $23/month, and it's probably significantly higher...if 75% of your bandwidth was up rather than down, it'd be $20.25 for up bandwidth + $3 for down + $11 for the box = $34.25, versus $20 you were getting at Slicehost.

Slicehost: 512MB slice: 20GB storage, 300GB BW, $38/month

Rackspace Cloud: 512MB on all month = $21.90/month + 18 cents up/8 cents down bandwidth. Even at 8 cents a gigabyte for all, 300 * .08 = $24. So a total of $45.90 and probably much higher.

I think the market passed Slicehost by some time ago. They were an early leader, but if I wanted a premium, high-support vendor with a strong community, I'd get a lot more for my dollar at linode.

Since Slicehost is "build for developers," maybe the appeal is for people who want dev/lab boxes they only have on part of the time and only use a little bandwidth. But it's pretty much the same thing as EC2.
    My advice and reviews of VPS providers based on my personal experience: VPSadvice.com

Quote Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
    Actually, it's more for all if you use your bandwidth.
    So you do your math based on using all the bandwidth, and then close out implying a lot of those slices may not be using a lot of bandwidth

So you do your math based on using all the bandwidth, and then close out implying a lot of those slices may not be using a lot of bandwidth
    Yes, small users who are moved to the cloud may only find it appealing if it's a dev/test box and they don't use much of the bandwidth, don't leave it on all the time, etc.

If you used your slicehost VPS for some other purpose and used a lot of the bandwidth, this will be a price increase for you.
    My advice and reviews of VPS providers based on my personal experience: VPSadvice.com

Quote Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
    If you used your slicehost VPS for some other purpose and used a lot of the bandwidth, this will be a price increase for you.
    So the bigger and the corporate users, once again, why did you bother quoting my post then?

So the bigger and the corporate users, once again, why did you bother quoting my post then?
    Dude, it wasn't a personal attack, I was just doing some math

Assuming that only "corporate users" will use all the bandwidth is an incorrect assumption.
    I know people who have small $20/month VPS/cloud instances who only host hobby sites/apps on them but use every last bit of their bandwidth quota each month.

As for the original post, there have been hints that something like this would happen. It's a good deal in certain circumstances:
    • You don't use much bandwidth
    • You don't need slicehost's nice control panel or DNS manager

Windows instances and IPv6 are a nice bonus, but it still sounds like a reasonable portion of their user-base will be upset by this move.

It's funny that Linode announced native IPv6 shortly after Rackspace's announcement.

Shame that Rackspace bought Slicehost just to kill it off. Surely they are able to offer more competitive performance/price against Linode with the amount of resources they have available.

Tuxlite.com Complete LAMP and LNMP script for Debian and Ubuntu.

Good news for Linode & 6sync

At lot of people like to have a set monthly bill. They like to budget for $x/month for hosting, and don't want a variable bill based on bandwidth. This is especially true for hobby sites and small business, so if you're using way under your quota every month, it's nice to know your bill will always be x, and not have to worry that every time you put an add in the newspaper or something your hosting bill will go way up. If you're hosting something where the site it's self is making money, and making more money the more hits you get, it's less of an issue, but for websites where hits don't directly translate to revenue Rackspace's pricing model is really bad.