Got a new server, I can login for 30mins, then cant login for 30mins..whats going on?

Hey.

Got a new server, I can login for 30mins, then cant login for 30mins..whats going on?

I bought this new server 10 days ago and it has been a mess. The server company replies very late and they cant seem to find any problem with the system.

Here is the problem:

I can SSH login into my server for around 30mins, everything works fine. Then I would get logged out for some reason, and then when I try to log back in, it says the password is wrong, and login denied?

Then after waiting for another 30mins or so, I can login back again fine.

Whats going on? Can someone please help me solve this? Because I just wasted money on this server and it has been 12 days since I actually used the server.

Thank you.

Do you have any firewalls installed in this system? if so, disable the same when you login and check whether you are getting logged out there after.

Also you need check the server logs ( eg : /var/log/messages )

No firewalls, I just reinstalled centos only nothing else, but that didnt solve problem either.

Also sometime SOFTWARE REBOOT, fixes the problem aswell....

Problem I think is with IP assignment.

There might be another server using the same IP. Are other services working fine when you get the password incorrect problem?

You may wish to contact your hosting provider about this, they will be able to help
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

Here is also some more information that might help.

When the server disconnects me and I try to reconnect using PUTTY, I get that page again, you know, the page that says YES, or ACCEPT ONCE, ACCEPT AND SAVE?

Meaning something has changed, because my other servers I just press ACCEPT AND SAVE and it never ask me again for that information....

I am not sure about other services as there is nothing installed on the server.

Quote Originally Posted by awaisuk View Post
    Here is also some more information that might help.

When the server disconnects me and I try to reconnect using PUTTY, I get that page again, you know, the page that says YES, or ACCEPT ONCE, ACCEPT AND SAVE?

Meaning something has changed, because my other servers I just press ACCEPT AND SAVE and it never ask me again for that information....

I am not sure about other services as there is nothing installed on the server.
    Problem I think is with IP assignment.

There might be another server using the same IP. Are other services working fine when you get the password incorrect problem?

• You are either continuously connecting to a different servery 30 minutes.
    • The SSH keys are being deleted every 30 minutes.
    • Your server is being reinstalled every 30 minutes.

Thanks I have let the server company know that.

Hopefully now they can figure out whats wrong with it, because the last few times I tried to tell them they told me everything was fine with the server when it was not.

i second the ip assignement issue. people makes mistakes, yes, even guys at your datacenter. atleast they didn't assign you to a server with an xxx site.

Quote Originally Posted by XeHSean View Post
    You may wish to contact your hosting provider about this, they will be able to help
    Perhaps not.
    The server company replies very late and they cant seem to find any problem with the system.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

The server host key is changing every 30mins or so. And when it does change I cannot login until it changes again.

I notified my server company hours ago and still no response.

Any help of how I can solve this would be appreciated.

No possibility of Key being deleted every 30 minutes. Coz if it was the Key being deleted only, then you will still be able to login to your server without a problem. Just the annoying "accept key" thingy.

IP assignment seems to be the most logical at the current moment. Or maybe someone on the network is actually doing something stupid and adding your IP as their own and well, that could cause problems too.

Server being reinstalled every 30 minutes? Erm... not possible cause if it was reinstalled, the password to login would have changed. Unless of cause it is doing something magical to keep the password unchanged.

Firewall ain't suppose to act up for 30 minutes and come back down and up every ~30 minutes. Unless you're nuts and is inviting hackers to try to hack your box in less than 30 minutes, then perhaps that might be a good script to use. LOL. Then again, why would someone wanna lock himself out with the firewall going?

Only real logical explanation is the IP. Talk to your provider about this and if they still insist that it is OK, tell them to monitor it for 2 hours and see what happens. If still the same answer, then I'd suggest you look for a new host. One which would help listen to your problems more.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Happened to us yesterday, the firewall came up & since we use dynamic ips at work, it kept blacklisting our ips for 30-60 mins. There might be a bundled firewall where you need to add ip exceptions & you should be ok. Else, it will keep locking you out.

Quote Originally Posted by zahirw View Post
    Happened to us yesterday, the firewall came up & since we use dynamic ips at work, it kept blacklisting our ips for 30-60 mins. There might be a bundled firewall where you need to add ip exceptions & you should be ok. Else, it will keep locking you out.
    Firewall does not really explain the SSH Key being deleted and etc. How could that happen?
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Welltodo Century

Firewall was disabling services on different ports & blocking off ips that were accessing the server through ssh. It all started when we disabled selinux

Its confirmed, they dont have an idea on how to fix this.

I havent used the server once and I have paid for it fully.....what a waste.

Tell them to check their IP records to confirm if there is any IP conflict for your server. Either they assign you new IP's, without conflicts, or they put in a static ARP entry on their routers or layer 3 switches that maps your IP address to the mac address of your NIC. This should be pretty basic stuff for a provider.

Based on how inept this provider sounds based on your description however, I'd look to get a refund and go with someone else.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

If after what Han Hwei Woo said does not work, attempt to reinstall OS from the ISO and see if that fixes.

Perhaps they provisioned your system from a template/PXE and that has a bug in it.

Yes, they install it from a template. Well I can reinstall OS from template from powerpanel that they provide me with.

I have sent that information to them to see if they can do something about it now.

Thanks.

Would you mind sharing who the provider is? It would be nice to know.

Also if you get stuff reinstalled and still have the same problem, I'd advice you to move out and go to another provider. They do not only have to buck up on their service, they need to also think about getting real Techs to work for them. Something as easy as this should not be giving problems to them.
    Aaron Ong
    Welltodo Century

Yes, they install it from a template. Well I can reinstall OS from template from powerpanel that they provide me with.

I have sent that information to them to see if they can do something about it now.

Thanks.
    If you are using CentOS, you do not need KVMoIP or CD/DVD/USB to reinstall the OS.

If you are good at editing files in Linux and not making mistakes while you do, I wrote an article that can help you reinstall CentOS remotely without additional hardware or software: http://www.ganesh.me/29-install-linu...-remotely.html

But for this to work, you must be able to login to the server as root and know the IP/networking details your server is connected to such as the gateway, subnet and IP address.

This is due to IP conflict. Ask your provider to double check the IP allocation. Someone else must be using your IPs. If you have KVM, then login and restart the network. You should see a warning message.
    Zenex 5ive - Flexible High Bandwidth Hosting Solutions
    We can deploy high bandwidth servers in 20+ locations around the world
    10TB, 30TB, 100TB, 1PB, 1Gbps/10Gbps Unmetered Bandwidth
    Skype - zenex5ive