Always, stay away VPS.net (too many downtime & slow support )

I don't know why there are still so many people choose VPS.net, what they mean to me is "too many downtime" + "slow support". Frequently, your server goes down for half an hour or even several hours without any pre-notifications, and sometimes you have to wait 12 ~ 24+ hours for their support response.

So, what you could expect from them? Only because their website looks great?

For those who plan to order the VPS.net cloud server, please check their official blog (downtime blog): http://status.vps.net/

Have you seen that they are having so many known downtime & issues every month?

I was a VPS.net customer but I decided to leave them after 1 month that I signed up. I was thinking go back to VPS.net many times, I even monitored several *famous* sites that hosted with them, uptime is terrible. That's why I don't know why there are still so many people choose VPS.net...

VPS.net is just like (mt)MediaTemple and GoDaddy, they are hot, they looks good, but they are crap. Please, always, stay away!

PS: please check their blog and twitter response carefully to see if they are really terrible VPS provider:

http://status.vps.net/

http://twitter.com/vpsnet

http://twitter.com/search?q=vpsnet

http://twitter.com/search?q=vps.net

I would like to look into your account so I could see what happened. Could you give me a ticket number or could you PM me your email address?

A lot of these things you're saying are quite simply, not true. Many of our clients are such fanatical supporters of our service because they go 6/12/18 months without a blip of downtime. WooThemes, WillieJackson and several others have publicly their uptime percentages showing this.

Thanks for the quick response. You do care your customer's feeling here, really appreciate. If the response time of the VPS.net support team could be so fast, I would 300% recommend VPS.net to all my friends and clients.

However, I would like to post some statistics here so that more people could learn, even those statistics has been published on the VPS.net blog (http://status.vps.net).

Known Issues that VPS.net had in the past 30 days: (from their blog)

May 3: Lon-I SAN issue

May 2: VPS.NET Connectivity Issues

April 25: EMERGENCY MAINTENANCE SLC-C

April 24: EMERGENCY MAINTENANCE SLC-C

April 22: EMERGENCY MAINTENANCE SLC C

April 22: ATL cloud network problems

April 21: SAN issues in SLC-C

April 20: Easter Weekend Maintenance – London H

April 14: ATL-A SAN issues

April 10: Power Actions Disabled in ATL-B

April 8: Chicago C SAN Connectivity

April 5: Atlanta-D SAN problem

--------

Is this just for fun? Is there anyone who knows that a VPS provider has so many known issues per month? Please note, most of the issues could absolutely cause the server down!

Terry, I think you don't need to be here and waste your time to reply threads that complaints your company, you don't also need to advertise your company, if your company could improve the technique, the VPS system and the support team, new customers will come naturally to purchase your products & services.

I have no more to say, thanks and have a good day!
    Last edited by Roy_1986; 05-03-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Well, I'm sorry that we couldn't serve your needs. I can't look into the issue without some information on your account -- I'd be glad to do so, and try and make things right for you.

Some things to keep in mind is that we're one of the largest cloud providers in the world. We host over 200,000 domains, and have over 1,000 servers. While the amount of issues we have is without a doubt far too many, our size needs to be taken into consideration. We've never experienced an entire cloud wide outage, and it's been over a year since we've even experienced an entire datacenter outage. There aren't many providers who can claim to have that same track record. If you look at some of competitors who are similar in size, you'll see that the amount of issues we experience really isn't outside the norm for our size. That's not an excuse, one issue is too many and that's why we'll always be working to eliminate them.

Quote Originally Posted by IGobyTerry View Post
    We host over 200,000 domains
    How can you possibly know how many domains your clients host with you?

We've never experienced an entire cloud wide outage, and it's been over a year since we've even experienced an entire datacenter outage.
    Are you sure about that? Have you forgotten about the entire Amsterdam cloud going offline earlier this year?

Quote Originally Posted by reloaded View Post

Are you sure about that? Have you forgotten about the entire Amsterdam cloud going offline earlier this year?
    That number is derived from our DNS system, which a number of our clients make use of.

You're right about Amsterdam... was thinking of our locations with multiple clouds located within them.

Well Terry, like I said, "they are hot, they looks good, but they are crappy", the size of company / the servers you have has nothing to do with the quality of the products and services. GoDaddy hosts millions of websites, also MediaTemple hosts far more websites than your company, could you say GoDaddy and MediaTemple are good Hosting Provider? Well, we've already known that GoDaddy Hosting is one of top terrible hosting providers in the world, while MediaTemple even has more downtime and slower than VPS.net, so it's not a problem of the company size or number of the servers you have.

Anyway, I have no choice to force people choosing this or that provider, I just tell what I encountered and what I learned, I hope smart people could make a right decision before they choose a web hosting provider, that's all.

I won't reply to this thread anymore, this is my story, thanks everyone.

If anyone who interested another VPS.net story, please check this too: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7430736

Best Regards.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by reloaded View Post

Amsterdam cloud going offline earlier this year??? Wow... that's f*cking awesome.

OP, why don't you give @IGobyTerry your ticket details and maybe you can work something out? Even if you have full intent to leave them, they may be able to either offer you some sort of refund, an account credit to stay, or they could just use your feedback to improve their service.

If I were in your situation, I'd be incredibly frustrated too, but I'm sure Terry & co will more than happily take care of you. By the looks of several past threads here, they're always responsive and keen to resolve issues.

Just my two cents.
    Theo Robertson | vividWire | Solid IT solutions for business
    vividWire VPS - Low-latency London, UK VPS based in Telehouse North, SSD RAID10 storage & KVM virtualisation
    vividWire Shared Hosting - Performance UK hosting with cPanel, CloudLinux, CloudFlare, 99.99% SLA

Quote Originally Posted by Roy_1986 View Post
    Well Terry, like I said, "they are hot, they looks good, but they are crappy", the size of company / the servers you have has nothing to do with the quality of the products and services. GoDaddy hosts millions of websites, also MediaTemple hosts far more websites than your company, could you say GoDaddy and MediaTemple are good Hosting Provider? Well, we've already known that GoDaddy Hosting is one of top terrible hosting providers in the world, while MediaTemple even has more downtime and slower than VPS.net, so it's not a problem of the company size or number of the servers you have.
    You sort of proved what Terry was saying. The larger you get, the more issues you're gonna have.

VPS.net have not had many issues when you actually look at what's involved in hosting that many domains.

Terry can't help you until you give him the required information.

Hi everybody. Happy to see this Tuesday is going well. =)

In response to "they are hot, they looks good, but they are crap. Please, always, stay away!"

First of all, I understand where you are coming from and apologize for the downtime you may have experienced at Media Temple. We understand that our shared service has produced some frustration, needs more work, and has put us in a negative light. Believe me, we get it, and are working ourselves to the extreme to make you a better product.

As a hosting company, and as people that have our own websites, we understand that UPTIME and SPEED are necessities. And if those things are lacking in any way, there will be a price to pay, which we're seeing through this type of feedback. We want to provide every customer with perfection, or something close to it. Even though many of our customers are happy, if we can't provide that happiness across the board, then it's a problem.

I'll be the first to point out that we have had our share of problems. Periodically we see high loads on particular clusters that may affect web, email, or both. Two weeks ago we had an issue with our DNS servers, which is rare, but affected our entire customer base. Two days later, Amazon also experienced a major outage. It goes to show that sometimes, things break, even for the larger webhosting companies. It's a constant learning experience for everybody involved. When problems happen, we are doing our best to learn and apply what we learned, so that incidents will become less frequent in the future.

In closing, I am willing to guess VPSnet and many other webhosting companies are in the same boat. We want to make everybody as happy as possible, but we know that new technology comes with new problems. Being able to provide solid webhosting is something that every hosting company strives for. But, since it's still a fairly new idea, every company is still trying to find out how to deliver everything the customer wants, along with keeping UPTIME and SPEED stable. It's a matter of learning from our mistakes, and applying that knowledge to bring you a better product in the future.

I hope that either one of us can help out with any other issues or questions you have.
    Media Temple Customer Support
    Webhosting @ http://mediatemple.net

VPS.net Cloud Hosting Review ( Worst Hosting)

I have been using vps.net for last 5 months, and in this 5 month was my really worst time. VPs.net advertise with 100% uptime but i think its not even close to 80%. Last saturday there was a serious issue in Atlanta cloud due to which i lost all my new data and they failed to recover.

VPS.net is the Worst Hosting Provider for me. I really had a very bad experience with them.
    1. No Good Support ( Very Slow response)
    2. Server Down Max..
    3. Very Slow server esp. while working with cPanel
    4. Very Insecure ( i lost my data)

ridiculous response please have a look at the attachment
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vpsnet.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	21431

I really dont suggest anyone to use vps esp. if your website has a good reputation, userbased, corporate .

I think VPS.net is just for the developers to run a demo websites/ or test apps.