Is unlimited hosting the best choice?

I am still considering to use unlimited hosting. But I am confused about this matter. Does anyone know what factors should be considered beside cost?

Many thanks.

Unlimited Hosting is just a Marketing Strategy to lure clients/newbies to boost sales. Most of the unlimited hosting plans offered by web hosting companies are hosted on oversold servers, with intention to make fast money. The unlimited hosting plan can be mostly found with 1 server/vps companies.

Besides Cost, the most significant factor you should be worried about is the server you are hosted upon !

If the server performance is bad then you will start loosing clients and end up in a havoc. so my friend, just leave unlimited hosting and start with a legitimate host to propel your business in this million dollar trade.

Wish you luck
    █ l Host Monsterz Pvt Ltd • Superb Support Network • DES 64 bit Secured Network
    l Linux Shared/Reseller Hosting • Virtual Server • Dedicated Server • cPanel®
    █ l Nginx • Softaculous • Fantastico • RVSite Builder • WHMCS • 24x7 Available Server Admin
    l Premium Managed VPS • Reliable & Sustainable • Instant Setup • Raid Drives

Are you sure that you will be using and need those 'unlimited' hosting resources ?
    Most hosting providers commonly provide 'unlimited' just for marketing gimmick, but actually they will avoid their users to use/abuse their hosting resources. It's better for you to read their TOS in terms of 'unlimited' - don't let them suspend your account because of it.
    Web Hosting Business Guide Book - Getting & Managing Your First 1,000 Clients in Web Hosting
    Enter Your cPanel Login & We'll Back It Up, Every Day! - SiteAutoBackup.Com
    Got WHM instead? Enter your WHM login and we'll backup everything, everyday. It's simple.

What are your actual resource needs?

Most sites require less than a few GB of space. Don't fool yourself into thinking you 'need' unlimited hosting, if your actual needs are rather basic.
    vpsBoard - An active resource for all things Virtual Private Servers. Tutorials, Guides, Offers and more!
    Come join the conversation! 90,000 posts and growing daily! The fastest growing hosting forum around!

Go with actual needs, Not unlimited. There is no such thing as unlimited when it comes to hardware.

Do you really need unlimited resources ? I don't think so ! Then why you want to risk ?
    SlickWebHost::Quality Personal and Business Hosting Solutions
    USA and UK, CloudLinux, LiteSpeed, R1Soft Shared Hosting
    USA and UK Virtual Private Servers with Best Connectivity to Europe, North America and Asia
    SlickWebHost::Non-outsourced 24/7 Support

No it is not best choice. Calculate your actual needs, then take your decision and look shared hosting offer section.
    HostPair LLC - Providing Reliable Web Hosting - Since 2009 | Authorized cPanel Partner
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Premium Xen VPS | Windows VPS | Dedicated Server

Fast Support | 99.9% Uptime | 30 days Moneyback Guarantee!
    WHMCS Integration Service - Get your site integrated today!

There are plenty of reliable unlimited hosts. Just don't expect to actually use up the unlimited terabytes of disk space and bandwidth.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

Quote Originally Posted by hostmonsterz View Post
    Most of the unlimited hosting plans offered by web hosting companies are hosted on oversold servers, with intention to make fast money. The unlimited hosting plan can be mostly found with 1 server/vps companies.
    Oversold servers can also be found with fixed space/bandwidth offers, especially when the prices are very low.

As most companies with unlimited offers will shut down your account as soon as you use too much space or bandwidth or server resources (as defined in their TOS) it's also possible with unlimited offers to keep a good server performance.

But I agree that "unlimited" is only a marketing term otherwise companies like Google or YouTube would only need one $10 unlimited account to run their business

Tom Tomson
    IP.MN - the fast and easy way to check your IP Number

for me it would be fine to have unlimited hosting considering that you are sure of the host you are using. for me it should be reliable, support must be great, no server downtime(can have downtime as long as support can deal with it properly and quickly), budget or amount paid is worth their service.

Quote Originally Posted by ehatsumi View Post
    for me it would be fine to have unlimited hosting considering that you are sure of the host you are using. for me it should be reliable, support must be great, no server downtime(can have downtime as long as support can deal with it properly and quickly), budget or amount paid is worth their service.
    With fixed space/bandwidth offers at a reasonable price there's a bigger chance to get good server performance and good support than with (cheap) unlimited offers.

But in any case you should research your potential host carefully before signing up. The WHT forum is an excellent source for information and can help you with your decision. At WHT you can also find very good promotional offers.

Tom Tomson
    IP.MN - the fast and easy way to check your IP Number

Unlimited best?
    No.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

No it isn't. Unlimited is only best if you enjoy being mislead by the host who told you it was unlimited.

I recommend you go with an account that has limits so you know what you can/can't use. Unlimited can end up causing your account to go over what they allow for your account and then they might suspend your account. I would stay away from unlimited.

You will really take a great risk when you go for Unlimited Hosting. These are just marketing strategy and you should start looking for a more reliable host.

Of course Unlimited is a marketing strategy, but there are still some Unlimited providers that are reliable, just as there are good and bad fixed providers. Do your homework on the specific provider you're looking at and match their offer to your specific requirements. There's no substitute for being an educated buyer.
    ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers

I think the real question is...

Have you yet, to see an advertised hard drive for ANY price, that automatically grows as you fill it??

Truth tells you, there is no UnLimited hard drive. As stated by so many others above and before, it is just a lie to get you to host with them. Starting off with a lie.. how can you trust them. Ever.

Just my thoughts. But clearly, I am not alone in my thinking.

Tim L
    Superior Host LLC - Quality Web Hosting since 1998
    We really do support you like no other
    Secure, ultra reliable hosting
    Website Maintenace Plans and a Personal Level of Support

Quote Originally Posted by superiorhost View Post
    I think the real question is...

Have you yet, to see an advertised hard drive for ANY price, that automatically grows as you fill it??

Truth tells you, there is no UnLimited hard drive. As stated by so many others above and before, it is just a lie to get you to host with them. Starting off with a lie.. how can you trust them. Ever.

Just my thoughts. But clearly, I am not alone in my thinking.

Tim L
    While there is no such thing as an "unlimited" hard drive, places like hostgator can easily toss in more and more (and bigger) drives as the need for them arises. I'm not taking their side, just saying that it is somewhat possible to keep space "growing" as needed.

People bash on "unlimited" a lot, but the people offering 500gb of space and 5000gb of bandwidth for $4/month aren't really any better. As many others in this thread have said, it's not so much about unlimited vs limits, but more about doing your homework on a host first. With that said, unlimited is EXTREMELY excessive if you just have a little 100mb site that barely gets any traffic like most people do. Good luck in your host search! =)
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

IMO companies the which choose to advertise unlimited bandwidth and web hosting space is more than a marketing gimmick, it is outright fraud. Not one company which so blatantly advertising such claims has ever provided such physically unrealistic promises. The bottom line is no company can actually provide unlimited disk space and bandwidth for any shared hosting account.

Red face

But I agree that "unlimited" is only a marketing term otherwise companies like Google or YouTube would only need one $10 unlimited account to run their business
    I will out smart Google I will take two for redundancy
    Lowest Host/Empire Technology LLC
    Offering Quality Shared, Reseller, VPS servers, and Dedicated Servers
    24x7 Tech Support http://empire-hosting.net
    XEN Servers Now http://xenserversnow.com - Budget XEN VPS /

Yes, yes it is the best choice.
    Hostwinds Unlimited Web Hosting
    Cpanel/WHM | Not Oversold | Low Server Loads | Reseller / Business Plans Available
    VPS Hosting | OpenVZ | SolusVM | Popular Distributions | Windows VPS's

Never use unlimited webhosting!
    Being a webhosting provider myself, I suggest you don't use unlimited plans as they are never true!
    The providers who give unlimited plans are over selling!
    There servers may get under load and you will have to switch the hosting due to continuous downtimes!

Hope I helped you!

Even though there are many features that are unlimited by means of how many you can create such as subdomains, email accounts, ftp accounts etc., they are still eventually limited by diskspace or bandwidth. If unlimited is the way you want to go then I would recommend doing your research very carefully.

The big boys, 1and1, GoDaddy, HostGator, all offer unlimited plans. It is a marketing plan that works well. If all hosts could offer unlimited shared hosting plans to compete with the big boys, they would. The simple fact is most hosts likely don't have the resources to do so.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.