Thumbs down 123Systems VPS - STAY AWAY!!!

For almost a year I've been with this 123Systems, they have great customer support like Gary.

Until last month, all of a sudden my VPS is inaccessible and "unPINGable" or in other words DOWN.

I contacted support and I was told that it MIGHT be deleted together with another server that might have the same ID. I don't know the technicalities of this, but he also told me that IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT.

So who should I blame? Me?

My support ticket was put on hold, I contacted customer service and got no reply.

It was good before but the way you guys handle situations like this and running away from it is just a shame.

You guys have been warned, my 50gb server was gone in a snap without resolution.

They basically deleted your VPS by a mistake? I don't see how 2 virtual servers can have the _same_ IDE.
    KnownSRV.com - Privacy. Managed. Secure. Guaranteed!
    Web Hosting | Dedicated Cloud VPS | Dedicated Server
    YOUR Day and Night, Fully Managed Hosting Solutions with REAL 24/7 Support

Thumbs down

1: I emailed them regarding the VPS, telling them that I didn't cancel anything.

1st reply:
    I'm not showing any records of this container even existing anymore.

Hell yeah for customer service reply, leaving the customer in a hang for reasons.

2: That's not good as I have it since last May. It couldn't just vanish out of the blue. Is there any active vps in my
    Account at all?

2nd reply:
    I'm not sure what happened, I'm not showing any record of this server being active at all.

Another round of enlightening the mind of the customer on what happened to the VPS.

on and on and on:

Here's one of the replies:
    It's quite possible that SolusVM had duplicate vServerID's so when one was terminated it terminated the other one which isn't entirely our fault if SolusVM made duplicate vServerID's.

we will get back to you on this.

But until now I haven't receive any emails from them.

You have been warned

Quote Originally Posted by jobski View Post
    Here's one of the replies:
    [I]It's quite possible that SolusVM had duplicate vServerID's so when one was terminated it terminated the other one which isn't entirely our fault if SolusVM made duplicate vServerID's.
    Can i just clarify that SolusVM uses SQL auto increment for the vserver id's, so it's not possible for that to happen.
    SolusVM Website - VPS Management Control Panel
    SolusVM Blog - Latest News & Updates

It sounds like to me they didn't remove an old client's VPS information in WHMCS so therefore when they went to go remove a VPS with id "222" (or whatever yours was) they didn't realize it was still active. Still no excuse but it is the only thing i can think of in this case. WHMCS doesn't remove information when you terminate or cancel a VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Soluslabs View Post
    Can i just clarify that SolusVM uses SQL auto increment for the vserver id's, so it's not possible for that to happen.
    What if one versver is manully modified by mistake and 2 vps have same vps id?
    Will it terminate both vps?

thx for the warning.

Sounds pretty bad.

I will avoid.

Hmm... their name honestly rings a bell, but I cannot remember where I heard about them before. Maybe I was a customer back in the days when I was with a million budget VPS hosts... but I could be mistaken. - Seriously though, budget VPS are fun to experience with around.

The experience sounds pretty bad, and I agree that even though its a budget VPS the experience shouldn't be that bad... I have a VPS with many budget providers and never had such terrible experiences!

All the best to you mate, my wishes are all to ya. Hope it gets resolved!

~Chris

Well hopefully they'll have something to say about it. I'm sure that if it happened the way you described and there was no breakdown in communication they're probably a little embarrassed about it. If something like that slipped past me I'd be more than a little angry at myself.
    Ain't here to spam my signature, I'm not desperate for sales.

Actually, it's not SolusVM or the SQL, but the API to WHMCS. I've noticed myself that if too many orders are 'provisioned' at once it's possible for the API to pass along the same vserverid for multiple containers. This causes all sorts of fun, even down to clients being able to access each other's VMs. If you're not careful, or not double checking your work, it's grounds for a pretty severe fustercluck.

As a side note, this is an issue that's existed for quite some time. I wrote a custom sanity check into the old module that prevented this from happening (among other sorely-missed features for us), but now since this new module is closed-source you are pretty much stuck having to double-check everything you do just to be safe.

No longer affiliated in any way with Frantech/BuyVM

Quote Originally Posted by Aldryic C'boas View Post
    Actually, it's not SolusVM or the SQL, but the API to WHMCS. I've noticed myself that if too many orders are 'provisioned' at once it's possible for the API to pass along the same vserverid for multiple containers. This causes all sorts of fun, even down to clients being able to access each other's VMs. If you're not careful, or not double checking your work, it's grounds for a pretty severe fustercluck.

As a side note, this is an issue that's existed for quite some time. I wrote a custom sanity check into the old module that prevented this from happening (among other sorely-missed features for us), but now since this new module is closed-source you are pretty much stuck having to double-check everything you do just to be safe.
    That is why I love BuyVM, you know what you are doing,,

For OP, I wish you good luck with this, even though their support was disappointing to me most of the time, to extent that no matter what happen I don't contact them now.

I can also confirm that Solus has had previous issues with the VEID field in WHMCS and that we actually wiped one of our name server VPSs by accident while deleting a customer VPS due to this. Like Aldryic we had to modify the module ourselves for our own needs to prevent it from happening again.

I'm not sure if this is what happened in this thread but wanted to substantiate Aldryic's claim with our own experience.
    Corey Arbogast | CEO
    █ 888-X10-9668, x703 - corey[@]x10hosting.com

This is a shame considering they have a fairly decent reputation here on WHT. I hope someone from 123Systems finds this thread and gives us a good reason why and how this occurred.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

No taxation without module modification

Quote Originally Posted by flam316 View Post
    This is a shame considering they have a fairly decent reputation here on WHT. I hope someone from 123Systems finds this thread and gives us a good reason why and how this occurred.
    I think the others explained what happened quite nicely (123systems explained via ticket [what the OP posted])

That's not true. BuyVM has had this issue. It happened to me when they were bombarded with sales. It assigned the same IP, and we later realized that it had assigned the same ID. The other person and I were writing over each other's data. You should take a look at it.

Edit:

I guess the issue is with WHMCS. I just saw this post, and I had to comment that this can happen. It is just much better when you don't have any data on it. This was the case for me!

Quote Originally Posted by dclardy View Post
    That's not true. BuyVM has had this issue. It happened to me when they were bombarded with sales. It assigned the same IP, and we later realized that it had assigned the same ID. The other person and I were writing over each other's data. You should take a look at it.

Edit:

I guess the issue is with WHMCS. I just saw this post, and I had to comment that this can happen. It is just much better when you don't have any data on it. This was the case for me!
    Their SQL setup (for the vserverid field) is fine, the problem stems from SolusVM lacking a queueing system. Whether you try to process 1 or 100 orders, it will literally attempt to begin provisioning anything it's sent, regardless of the current workload. I suspect this is why the SolusVM->WHMCS module passes incorrect data at times. I had made revisions to the prior module (which was plain PHP, unencoded) that added a sanity check on each provision to prevent the problem, but alas the new module is enclosed with IONcube. So, short of guessing which variables get passed and writing a 'new' module ourselves (which got us in trouble with them when we implemented our own fix for the IPv6 rDNS), all anyone can really do at this time is be very cautious about provisioning, and make sure to double-check all of the data the module passes back to WHMCS.

No longer affiliated in any way with Frantech/BuyVM

I bought one long time ago, totally waste my time and money.
    Always reboot reboot reboot reboot....