Thumbs down VPS.net nightmare - STAY AWAY - Horrible customer service

About 6 month ago I switched from MediaTemple to VPS.net after lots of research for a fast and reliable hosting company.

VPS.net seemed like to right choice. As soon as I had my site hosted on VPS.net I saw a tremendous speed increase which I have tested with Pingdom.com and GTMetrix.com.

I could have not been any happier. One issue I had to get used to is to pay $10 for every issue I had, since my service was an unmanaged server. I didn't want to pay close to $100 per month extra for a managed hosting. I am now paying $43 per month, which is more that I have ever paid in the last 10 years, but the speed increase is worth the investment.

I have probably spend about $200 for various issues (each time $10) that I needed help with. I didn't mind it at all, as I also learned to fix small issues myself.

Now 6 month later I feel very comfortable with the ISPmanager and many of it's functions.

After a big server issue. VPS.net restarted my server and since then (about one month ago) I am not able to send anymore emails from any of my domains. So I paid another $10 to have that issues fixed. The issue got closed by VPS.net, but it never did get fixed. I have been send the supposedly correct settings, but none of these worked.

After getting too frustrated, I asked to talk to a manger higher up if they could help and got referred to Simon James the Director of Technological Operations. It has been 3 days now without any reply. That should show you how little they care.
    At the end it will not make a difference to them to lose $43 per month.

My conclusion, If you are looking for a fast VPS hosting, VPS.net could be a great solution for you. But if you are not a super professional who knows the ins and outs of server programming, STAY AWAY. It's beyond me that a sophisticated hosting provider is unable to fix a simple emails issue.

If anybody knows a good hosting company that offers great customer service and fast server at a reasonable price <$50 please let me know.

I think you'll need to decide if you want a managed provider or an unmanaged provider.

There are some premium unmanaged providers that I think will not charge you $10/ticket in most cases with your issues, but you could opt to just constantly pay the higher management fee. This is again a decision you'll have to make based on what you've learned and how much help you think you need.

There are several managed providers that are quite popular around here; I won't recommend any as I don't use managed services, and I'll leave that to actual clients.

However, I can suggest an unmanaged provider that I do use that I think would meet your needs and that's 6sync. They are unmanaged, but given my experiences with support, I believe you can work something out where you're not paying $10/ticket and still be happy.
    What did you expect was going to happen?
    6sync is where I've made my home ): // @tenkay

+1 for mhensel...

Looking to go away from VPS.NET too!!! my ticket for DOS/Abuse Issue is 3 days without any reply! Plus I have already reported to the manager without any luck. The new Web site is totally mesh. They removed contents from the Forums, no any help no documentations, last weekend I order a daily nodes for some test and there was a problems. Now also they are not support any more white label with there DNS Service. Without any reasons you can't access your site and in the next minute you can.

I think Linode is my next choice...

Quote Originally Posted by mhensel View Post
    My conclusion, If you are looking for a fast VPS hosting, VPS.net could be a great solution for you. But if you are not a super professional who knows the ins and outs of server programming, STAY AWAY. It's beyond me that a sophisticated hosting provider is unable to fix a simple emails issue.
    I would agree that VPS.net is a 100% unmanaged service and you shouldn't expect help. The problem here seems to be that you're paying for managed tickets and those should be taken care of. I'm sure Terry will see this and look things over.

Their support is not the greatest. I've had issues with their SAN in Salt Lake. Then I asked to be moved to Chicago and they said they couldn't until the SAN had finished resyncing. Like 5 days later I was able to move to Chicago and all is good now. Some tickets took quite a long time to answer. Anyways things are nice and fast on their Chicago cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by expandmind View Post
    +1 for mhensel...

Looking to go away from VPS.NET too!!! my ticket for DOS/Abuse Issue is 3 days without any reply! Plus I have already reported to the manager without any luck. The new Web site is totally mesh. They removed contents from the Forums, no any help no documentations, last weekend I order a daily nodes for some test and there was a problems. Now also they are not support any more white label with there DNS Service. Without any reasons you can't access your site and in the next minute you can.

Linode is an amazing provider. Just keep in mind that they don't offer management with their plans, if you need it. (That's more of a note to the OP).

I'd highly recommend them, though.
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Currently a Master Electrician on Broadway.
    My company, BurstAV, specializes in A/V Systems Design and integration.
    I also own ConcertCables. We build power/data cables for the entertainment industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    I would agree that VPS.net is a 100% unmanaged service and you shouldn't expect help. The problem here seems to be that you're paying for managed tickets and those should be taken care of. I'm sure Terry will see this and look things over.
    That's much of the case - he's not a managed customer, so there's only so much we can do. He raised a ticket to our management last week and Simon, our CTO, is attempting to help when possible, but it was a long bank holiday in the UK so he hasn't been in the office, hence the non-reply.

Believe me, I would love to offer fully managed services at $20 a pop, but it's simply not feasible. Simon I believe has responded to you, and is still trying to figure out what you need. From the last reply, he's asking you how you want your server configured so he can set it up to your specifications.

+1 for mhensel...

What is your ticket ID? The removal of the white label DNS was disappointing, but it was out of our hands and something our vendor needed to do. We looked into a lot of other 3rd party systems, but our current provider certainly offers the most reliable services at this time. It is still possible to run white label DNS on your own system. If you'd like, you can email me at terry(at)vps.net and I'd be glad to show you how to set it up. With us having 5 locations, you can actually setup your own DNS cluster on VPS.NET infrastructure if that's something you would want to do.
    Last edited by IGobyTerry; 05-02-2011 at 11:09 PM.

mhensel, I'm 100% feel your pain, please check my review of VPS.net: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1045299

Unlucky. I think you will be better off with a managed provider.

I totally agree with OP. VPS.NET was a terribly disappointing experience.

VPS.NET talks the talk, but support is vague at best. Frustrating to get half-answered questions that make no sense. You get Ukranian support techs who don't fully understand your questions, and are not really interested in solving your problems.

Paid or unpaid support management has nothing to do with it. The servers go down constantly, and they always find a way to blame you.

Be warned, this company is nothing more than a great marketing agency with questionable technology behind their cloud server offering.

If you want real service then like someone else said on this thread try Linode. Or try Knownhost, Servint, Liquidweb, or Wiredtree.

Probably not a $20 per month hosting solution, but at least you won't be disappointed.