Advice on Dedicated Server Hosting

First question I have is: Are most people here VPS resellers or webmasters?

I currently use a Linux VPS Server at InMotionHosting.com
    Everything was great for the past few years, but last year they had hard drive failures and all of my websites disappeared. They stated they do free backups, but it turns out they didn't back up after a certain amount of web space used. Partly my fault for relying too much of them for backup and not doing my due diligence.

I would like to upgrade to a Dedicated Server, not for VPS resell but just for myself to use.

I have read that a Windows Dedicated Server can use XAMPP, enabling it to run php, mysql sites. Is this a good idea to do? Does this run as well as a linux server?

The reason why I want windows is because I would like to run some windows programs in the clouds 24/7 (senukex, scrapebox). I figured I can get my hosting and programs running at the same.

Can someone please provide some insight?

I figured I do not really use much bandwidth, so a reliable top rated dedicated server that is not so spendy would be great.

Thanks.

Hello and Welcome to WHT.

1. I would say most people who posts here on a regular basis are Web Hosting people or they are Techies.

Windows can easily run PHP and MySQL. Installing PHP on windows and configuring it is not a hard thing to do at all. As far as I am concerned, PHP runs "ok" on Windows. It's not doing the same things which a Linux is doing because of the codes but all I did was tweak the codes a bit and everything seems to be running fine now.

As per your request for some insight, can you tell us what insight do you need? Explain what you want and we'll try to help out as much as possible.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Hi aodat2, thank you for responding.

I host 100% linux files (PHP+MYSQL), wordpress, etc.
    But I am currently also paying for a windows VPS server just to run
    SENUKEX and Scrapebox.

My knowledge in Dedicated Server is zilch...but I am adaptable and can learn.

I would like to give out remote access logins with the programs installed to outsourcers so they can log in and work. So basically what i am doing is:

1. Host PHP MYSQL, Wordpress sites.
    2. Need to run CPU intensive scrapebox and senukex
    3. Need to create either VPS of some sort where my outsourcers can remote login to work.

I'm paying close to 100 total for linux VPS and a windows VPS.
    I want to see if I can upgrade to a dedicated and run everything on a dedicated windows server.

Since you're running on 100% linux, why are you still wanting to get Windows? Just because of your SEO and the other program?

My advice is for you to actually learn about how to deal with a server before actually getting 1 yourself. Not knowing how to administer a server will make things bad in the end. Giving out RDP logins is not a problem if you know how to limit access and such.

Erm... you need a CPU which is able to create VPS as well? I don't really get it. Are you going to work on RDP or are you trying to create VPS?

From what I think you are talking about and all, I still think that sticking with Multiple VPS would still be your best solution.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Welltodo Century

Hi iamdedicated!

I have to agree with aodat2 in that jumping into a dedicated environment can be a tricky thing if you're not yet familair with it. Do you have someone on your staff that has experience administering a server?

If what you're trying to accomplish requires a move to dedicated, and you don't yet have the resources to administer it, you may want to look at some options offering managed services in addition to the server itself.

Maybe look at a few options offering fully managed dedicated hosting and some other VPS options, then weigh those out. You can even post back here to get some thoughts on the providers you're looking at, and the costs of each.

Hope this helps.
    SingleHop | Chicago - New York - Phoenix - Amsterdam | People Empowered by Automation
    TJ Waldorf | VP, Inside Sales & Marketing | @tj_waldorf | twaldorf @ singlehop.com | poweredby.ai

I have to agree with aodat2 in that jumping into a dedicated environment can be a tricky thing if you're not yet familair with it.
    I think if he decides to chose small and low end dedicated server with good management he will be fine about everything and that will never put him in big trouble.
    WebIntellects - Fully Managed Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers since1999.
    WebhostGIANT - LOW Cost Hosting

If you'd rather combine both Windows and Linux features, I'd go for Dedi + VirtualBox Windows VPS in.

Xen of course is another option as HostZealot may have alluded to, dedicated with both Windows and Linux running on the same box in different VMs. Often budget minded clients who are yet to use the full resources of a server or multiple VPS go this route with pretty good success. The learning curve though coming from no experience administering a server to running your own can be pretty steep. I say Xen if you need them both.

Why not just start with a basic linux panel like directadmin? It's really not that hard...

if i were you, i'd just get a cheap server and colo it.

what is colo?

Colo (Colocation) means that you buy your own Hardward and you send it to the DC to just plug it in for you. Colo will be cheaper where you don't have to pay additional cost of the server, they just charge you Power/Bandwidth/Space used.

Again it would be something like a dedicated server, just that the server is your own instead of the DC owning them.
    Aaron Ong
    Welltodo Century

Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    Colo (Colocation) means that you buy your own Hardward and you send it to the DC to just plug it in for you. Colo will be cheaper where you don't have to pay additional cost of the server, they just charge you Power/Bandwidth/Space used.

Again it would be something like a dedicated server, just that the server is your own instead of the DC owning them.
    Sounds nice, but in case of hardware troubles with your OWN server?
    Monthly payment will be less, but what about upgrade??
    Someone calculate expenses???