Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

$15/y VPS ideas?

So I picked up one of these trendy little $15/year 192mb ram vps systems that everyone seems to jump on like free candy. Here's what I'm wondering. What do you guys do with yours, or what would you do? It's like a tiny sandbox, on a really fast connection. Cool little product for sure. I just don't know what to do with it beyond maybe run a small single website on it or a proxy.
    Ain't here to spam my signature, I'm not desperate for sales.

I do plenty with mine - http://info.cedricd.org/servers (note: on multiple VPSs). 128MB is more than enough to run dynamic/multiple web sites. At the least you could add a DNS server (or a backup MX) to your lineup

I hope I gave you some ideas to test out/toy with!

~ C

Good thoughts!

4. One great use for VPS plans is quick and dirty tests, such as compiling different modules, PHP versions, and any kind of software that has tons of dependencies and might break your system one way or another. The fact that you can usually restore the VPS in just a few clicks for free, and almost instantly upload a new different OS might allow you to check the performance of your software or scripts on different PHP/Apache/accelerators/etc without needing to pay anything extra on server formats etc.

If you need more resources and good performance but you are not ready to pay for dedicated hosting then this will be great option I think.

Yup, YardVPS cheap VPSs are good for testing a lot of stuff.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Try a VPN for starters.

Great for securing your connection, especially on public wifi.

Run a small forum for specific people so that you get less traffic

And put Ads to earn monthly...

There are alot of ways to earn with a forum

$15/year 192mb is a good offer, running a small single website would be right decision.

You could run a blog without a contol panel on that kind of RAM.

Maybe its just me but why are people suggesting to run a website on this VPS? The company that this person is with isn't going to be in business long (hard to make profit from $1.25/month). The only thing I would put on this is info i'm not afraid of losing.

Quote Originally Posted by PogiWeb View Post
    Maybe its just me but why are people suggesting to run a website on this VPS?
    Nobody (seemed to have) suggested running a mission critical application on such a deal and I'd guess that there are plenty of web appearances (fitting such a plan) that can survive a little downtime just fine. If we're speaking of a worst case scenario here.

The company that this person is with isn't going to be in business long (hard to make profit from $1.25/month).
    Strange, as they seem to be doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Logain View Post

Strange, as they seem to be doing well.
    So were before my post did anyone provide a company name? So how can you say that the company is "doing well"?

So were before my post did anyone provide a company name?
    The OP mentioned a 15$/year plan and 192 MB RAM. There aren't that many companies offering this specific deal (to my best knowledge).

So how can you say that the company is "doing well"?
    I'm planning to get myself a VPS in that price range as well (15$ annually), so I investigated some on the different offers. Of the seven companies I know (and am not allowed to mention, due to forum rules) five have a decent to very good reputation within the low end box market. The two struggling ones do not offer a 15$/year 192 MB RAM plan, thus my conclusion that the company the OP uses seems to be doing fine. I'm sorry if my original posting appeared to be a bit vague, but judging from your replies in this thread you do not seem to know more than the concrete figures either and yet drew a conclusion. Same right for everybody?
    Last edited by Logain; 05-03-2011 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Added a little part that I forgot to mention

The company that this person is with isn't going to be in business long (hard to make profit from $1.25/month).
    May I ask what statistics you were viewing to draw such an ignorant conclusion?
    QuadraNet Enterprises | Providing Secure Infrastructure Solutions to modern businesses since 2001.
    QuadraNet is a globally recognized cloud solution provider ​with the Best-in-class responsive 24x7 customer support.​
    Locations: Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, New Jersey, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle & Amsterdam.
    Andrew Moore andrew.moore@quadranet.com Visit https://www.QuadraNet.com

Maybe its just me but why are people suggesting to run a website on this VPS? The company that this person is with isn't going to be in business long (hard to make profit from $1.25/month). The only thing I would put on this is info i'm not afraid of losing.
    I think 123systems is doing alright, but more popularly, buyvm seems to be doing alright with this too. I think you have to think of this as a limited promotion to generate traffic (although that may or may not be the intent). When I saw their network performance I said to myself "I'll be purchasing a higher VPS from them in the future if I have a need." It's an incredible advertising resource from my point of view, and may even be a little profitable for them, I don't know what their costs are.

Great ideas guys!
    Last edited by mxroute; 05-02-2011 at 12:18 PM.

How to see this? I believe the company is 123systems and they've been known, and have been in business for a lil over a year I believe and are doing well with there low-end box's. There's plenty of ways to make a profit on services such as low-end boxs like these.

There's also plenty of companys that proved this theroy that if you have the right team/services/setups your able to provide this and make a profit. For a example take a look at FranTech; there brand BuyVM has been over a year old now and are one of the biggest success/wanted/liked LowEnd VPS's and they provide a 128/256 plan for $15/year... and they sell out faster then they can release it/announce it.

If you have the right servers/nodes/managed well, and setups and the right prices of what you do, plus most of the providers that do this don't rent servers they personally own them and colo them with good deals that are able to offer this, take example BuyVM they have a setup with HE.net and as stated previously on WHT that they paid for the whole year upfront, so once they meet that marker all there income is profit, and as you can see by looking them up they are doing nothing but success.

Now; don't get me wrong not every single provider is able to offer packages like this and earn a income, some providers do as a limited time promotion to bring in some clients/traffic towards them and then don't offer it no more as most times the client's will purchase upgrades that cost additioanl money, etc.

These are not like other services either as you see most providers offering this type of package offer them under a yearly rate and have a limited stock to over them (BuyVM, 123SYstems) they have a stock because there not able to offer unlimited or keep providing them as theres a way you have to offer them.

But I still understand why you believe they won't be in business? 123Systems was actually one of the first providers to bring in the low-end market with BuyVM offering low-budget yearly package. Andrew and his team do very well, and the thing is with 123systems they have a variety of services/features that attack their clients, I actually was able to get ahold of one of their packages, they packages even lower then $15/yr, i believe there most cheapest one is a $10/year, and talking with Andrew they earn money off of that also, it just depends on the setups, the providers, and the service and to be quite honest the service is actually great; and better then most high-end providers that you find here now days.

Kudos to Andrew!
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

Not attacking you or anything, But without knowing inside knowledge of ones business operations it’s hard to make such a broad statement like that.

I myself have taken a very deep look into the $15/year business model and like others have said across the board, Its doable if you have your own hardware, switches, racks, and enter into contracts in order to buy down the cost of rack space or even go one step further and get your own IP space like buyvm.

Then if you process enough transactions per month you save additional costs on fees as your hitting much higher tiers with your payment processing, theirs a lot to factor in with this business model and it appears buyvm/fran is doing well from it...

UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

You're right that the $15/y market can be a scary one especially with many of the new comers in the past couple weeks. My own personal fear is that many of the companies that have taken it on (namely NordicVPS & availableVPS) will end up tarnishing it and scare people away.

There's more to how we operate than just Solus on some nodes, colocation & IP space. Yes, those things help quite a bit in making our costs easy to handle but there's much much more to our setup that simply isn't publicly stated/shared

With that being said, on a $15/y VPS we take a little over $10/y as profit so they're by no means a 'loss leader approach to marketing'. While we do sell our share of 128MB plans we also sell 2x - 3x more of our other plans. With that being said, though, we do have our customers, like cedr, that come back for a hit or 9 of 128MB's every time we add some stock (he has already personally asked me to block his orders if he buys more )

Interest in our brand happened before the $15/y deals went public (check our first sales threads, they're huge). The $15/y simply filled a gap that we saw form in the market and we've taken it as a good chance to make it ours.

We have many people running full blown websites/backups/load balancers/core DNS servers/etc on our 128MB's so it isn't like they perform badly or have bad uptime. Before this lemon of a kernel we're replacing the majoirty of our 128MB nodes had north of 60 days uptime. The only reason it wasn't higher was a large kernel update we rolled out cluster wide in January and Hurricanes power blips in November.

Thanks for the interest and feedback,

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Talking

If person have own hardware, or colo server and this specification:

48GB RAM
    12TB Hard Disk

6GB Reserved for System usage and 42GB for selling to users.

For Example: 42GB/198 = 203 users

$15 x 203 = $3045 per year from one server, so If they've a more then 10 servers?

10 server x $3045 = $30450 per year

and yes, If resources are not dedicated then they can earn more money through overselling
    Last edited by DewlanceHosting; 05-03-2011 at 12:38 AM.
    Dewlance® Shared/Reseller/Master Reseller - US/UK/EU/FRK/CA - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    DemoTiger.com - Buy Demo Videos for your Hosting Company

Quote Originally Posted by DewlanceHosting View Post
    If person have own hardware, or colo server and this specification:

48GB RAM
    12TB Hard Disk

6GB Reserved for System usage and 42GB for selling to users.

For Example: 42GB/198 = 203 users

$15 x 203 = $3045 per year from one server, so If they've a more then 10 servers?

10 server x $3045 = $30450 per year

and yes, If resources are not dedicated then they can earn more money through overselling
    Dewlance,

You are not going to fit 203 virtual servers on a node "willingly", Just because the RAM is there doesn't mean your I/O is going to be there. If you put 203 active virtual servers on a node then your going to have an extremely crippled I/O environment. Although, I would not doubt some providers out there already do this, But it's simply not a smart move to do. Your going to have constant complaints, cancellations, refund requests, etc. etc.

So in the end your're causing yourself more problems than it's worth.
    QuadraNet Enterprises | Providing Secure Infrastructure Solutions to modern businesses since 2001.
    QuadraNet is a globally recognized cloud solution provider ​with the Best-in-class responsive 24x7 customer support.​
    Locations: Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, New Jersey, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle & Amsterdam.
    Andrew Moore andrew.moore@quadranet.com Visit https://www.QuadraNet.com

There's plenty of uses for a low-end box...

I currently have a few low end boxs using them for the following, Backups, Shellbox, IRC Servers/Leafs/Services/Proxy/Bouncer, VPNs, small websites with low traffic or not much needed resources.

You can check out www.lowendtalk.com or www.lowendbox.com they have plenty of discussions how & whats the best uses for the low end boxs.

You should be able to find plenty of uses for your service, it's actually quite a nice deal for nothing major, or personal / development use!

What are you currently using it for?
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Mark View Post
    What are you currently using it for?
    A toy mostly
    If I walked in a local store and saw low end linux machines for $15, I'd come home with a hundred and no idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by jarland View Post
    A toy mostly
    If I walked in a local store and saw low end linux machines for $15, I'd come home with a hundred and no idea why.
    Ha! Yeah, that is me, too...

I run static web sites on mine. You might enjoy this article - 18 static sites served on a 64MB VPS:

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/yes-yo...mb-link-1-vps/

Some of what he's doing (replacing bash with pdksh, replacing openssh with dropbear, etc.) is a bit extreme, but it points out that you can do a lot without a ton of RAM if you are willing to get your hands dirty.

If you develop, you can also reimage at will to test things, keep a group of them for testing, etc.

I use 192MB/384MB VPSes to run static or low-use dynamic web sites. And why pay $15/year when you can get a 128MB/128MB VPS for only $10/year?

I don't know the economics personally, but 123systems.net has been around a while and participates here. I've had a great experience with them. I haven't personally used buyvm but they have a good reputation.
    raindog308
    LowEndTalk administrator, LowEndBox editor

I hope what I said helped everyone that's interested in 123systems. Don't let other business's throw you off of the great service they do provide.

@PogiWeb: I would like to hear a reply back from you also about why you come up with these weird comments like that?

Have you personally ever looked into the business plan? Setups? Operations? I highly doubt it with your conclusion.

The lowend boxs 123 is one of the best providers, and most reliable and stable with there services and no fighting over stock they keep it coming and always have been here to assit with anything needed, they're a great provider!

The low-end boxs have alot of uses, simple web servers, shell box, irc uses, proxys, vpns, back up server, file hosting, development, testing, you can find so many uses for one of these it's crazy that shared hosting market is still around with these prices.

Keep me updated on what all you do with your VM; I'd like to hear your feedback about it OP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast