Generally, whats the most bandwidth and disk space usge u can use on shared hosting?

Whats the most bandwidth usage and disk usage (GB) can you use on a shared hosting before they ask you to get something else like a VPS or something. For mid sized hosting companies

How long's a piece of string? springs to mind

The disk space will be dependant on your hosting provider's setup

the bandwidth will also depend on your hosting providers allocation and deals with their upstream to purchase more should they run out

joe
    www.JGwebhosting.co.uk - CPanel Control panel, domain registration, Reseller packages And 24X7 Technical support! - Now Taking in Hosting Refugee's

www.JGpcrepair.co.uk - Computer repair, New Systems, Software, Hardware

Usually providers focus on CPU usage. For providers with high disk space and bandwidth, you would usually hit a certain CPU limit first. It's different for everyone, since not everyone uses the same software online.

You could use all of your allocated disk space with just static files and not have a problem.
    Preetam Jinka

Isomerous - High performance web services for business and individuals.
    Bitcable Colocation, KVMs, cPanel hosting, Oracle expertise, and more.

No one is going to be able to answer this question. As already mentioned, it depends on the setup of the provider.
    Hosting Community Talk - A new community orientated Webhosting discussion, guides, and industry news forum. Why not JOIN TODAY!
    My North Wales - A Community/Tourism discussion forum for residents and visitors to North Wales, United Kingdom.

Most of the providers oversell.

For Example if some provider has 20GB Disk VPS 1GB RAM 2.2GHz Processor...

If they make packages of 10Gb and sell 50 accounts, ofcource most of them will use up around 5GB disk space and his server will get under load!

I suggest people to use VPS or Dedicated Servers if they want to run forum as running a forum needs alot of bandwidth, RAM and CPU which you get dedicated on a VPS or Dedicated Server!

Just think about those stuff which will eat alot of CPU or RAM, you should not host such stuff on shared hosting!

Answer to your question:

It depends on the server you are having the hosting account and the load on the server!
    Last edited by dareknyght; 05-02-2011 at 06:57 AM.

6. Most providers would offer a fixed amount of disk space so that would obviously be the amount you could use, while others offer unlimited disk space, which is usually provided by very cheap prices for storage when purchased in extremely large quantities. What exactly are you interested in, simply mass storage? file-sharing services? Most companies do not allow such websites and you would most likely need to consider VPS or dedicated services

If you have limited disk space and bandwidth plan on shared hosting then you can not cross you limit but if you are using unlimited plan then it completely depends on CPU usage by your websites or blogs. Most of the companies have 8% CPU usages limit. It may be vary from one host to other host. My webhost said me to upgrade my shared hosting plan to VPS when my blogs cross 8% CPU usages limit.

thanks for the info. Is it possible to check the cpu usage on my side? My host is underhost,share hosting at the moment. They have cpanel and I have about 1GB disk used and about 50 GB bandwidth a month. it may increase a bit do to more sites beind made add and traffic
    Last edited by larrylane; 05-02-2011 at 07:25 AM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by larrylane View Post
    thanks for the info. Is it possible to check the cpu usage on my side? My host is underhost,share hosting at the moment. They have cpanel and I have about 1GB disk used and about 50 GB bandwidth a month. it may increase a bit do to more sites beind made add and traffic
    This would usually depend on the hosting provider, so you would most likely get a far better reply to this question by simply contacting their support staff. cPanel does not provide this for end-users by default so most likely they had to build or install such a solution manually, so their support would be able to let you know if your account is still within normal limits and if additional websites can be added to your account

@ larrylane

thanks for posting this thread. i am also on shared unlimited hosting package. My host is xtraorbit. i am using 200 mb disk space and 8 Gb bandwidth per month and was thinking i am crossing the limit but you are using 5 times more than mine.

it's depend on the provider man...wel..to my understanding dey might said it's unmmetered or unlimited but definitely they will not allow you to boost up to a certain level...as it is nt good ofr other customers within the server also..it's highly recommended to go for Dedicated Server if you wish to use alot of resources..cheers!

There's no real answer to a question like that. Every provider will give you different type of account, and there is a different setup for every provider.
    Hey Mikey likes it!

There are shared hosting that provide you unlimited bandwidth and disk space which is great if your site needs it.

Move to VPS or Dedicated server if your site needs a high CPU Usage.

There are shared hosting that provide you unlimited bandwidth and disk space which is great if your site needs it.
    Actually there is no such hosts. BW can be unmetered, while the limits are set by the possibility of the certain equipment, such as RAM and CPU resource.

depends on what is hosted on the server

Nobody knows. Not even the providers themselves. Actually they do, but they will never ever tell you that on public.

Go ask any unlimited hosting company how much is enough and what there limit is and you will never ever get a straight answer, because that would be admitting their offers are not really unlimited. They will just tell you thinks like enough or the average for all customers combined and things like that. If you then ask and how much is that? Again, no answer.

Don't believe me? Go ask in a few chats or sales tickets departments and come back with your results.

Personally I want to know my limits upfront. Don't you want to know how much space your new computer drive can take or how long your laptop battery will lasts more or less? I do.

I want to know when to upgrade a hosting plan and I want to be able to calculate my costs and grow. I don't want to be surprised one morning with a suspended website because I used too much.

Its actually scary that so many business websites don't care about how much they can really use either. They just don't know and don't care until they have a problem. And that is the whole dilemma. You don't know the limits, so you don't know when you are going to hit that problem in the first place. Its like a bomb waiting to go off. Unless you plan to host 1 page and only have your friends visiting it, I think most websites want as much traffic and visitors as they possible can.

I know it sounds confusing, but its like leasing a car and you can't possible know how much fuel the tank has and there are no indicators either. Running a business website based on faith is bad business.

Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    Nobody knows. Not even the providers themselves. Actually they do, but they will never ever tell you that on public.

Go ask any unlimited hosting company how much is enough and what there limit is and you will never ever get a straight answer, because that would be admitting their offers are not really unlimited. They will just tell you thinks like enough or the average for all customers combined and things like that. If you then ask and how much is that? Again, no answer.

Don't believe me? Go ask in a few chats or sales tickets departments and come back with your results.

Personally I want to know my limits upfront. Don't you want to know how much space your new computer drive can take or how long your laptop battery will lasts more or less? I do.

I want to know when to upgrade a hosting plan and I want to be able to calculate my costs and grow. I don't want to be surprised one morning with a suspended website because I used too much.

Its actually scary that so many business websites don't care about how much they can really use either. They just don't know and don't care until they have a problem. And that is the whole dilemma. You don't know the limits, so you don't know when you are going to hit that problem in the first place. Its like a bomb waiting to go off. Unless you plan to host 1 page and only have your friends visiting it, I think most websites want as much traffic and visitors as they possible can.

I know it sounds confusing, but its like leasing a car and you can't possible know how much fuel the tank has and there are no indicators either. Running a business website based on faith is bad business.
    Very detailed exploitation of those myth "unlimited" providers indeed. I do too agrees everything is said, there isn't a "unlimited" HDD/SSD meaning there won't be "unlimited" hosting ever. Even if they could get massive storage and bandwidth throughout for "next for nothing" they also would have to account for CPU and RAM utilization as well.

It will be actually depended on the hosting company, if one account is consuming high resources it would affect the whole server. To tackle this problem they set the CPU and bandwidth limit. If you are frequently reaching the limits you can try optimizing the script so that it will consume less resources. The bandwidth problem can be reduced by making use of the options like Hotlink protection. If you still have the problem then you would need to consider switching to VPS or a dedicated server.

This is a question that really can't be answered by anyone in particular. The answer you are looking for depends unfortunately on each provider. Sorry for not being able to help you...
    HostCosmos - Your Personal Hosting Provider
    LiteSpeed - cPanel - Cloudlinux - Multiple PHP Versions
    www.HostCosmos.net