Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How strong is this server?

What do you think of this dedicated server?
    Can it power multiple websites(lets say 10) on a server with combined 20 Million pageviews/month?
    Server may experience between 1,000 to 2,000 concurrent visitors from all sites combined [occasionally].

***** average website with lets say 5(500px by 500px jpeg) images/page.

SERVER:

Intel i7 920
    4x 2x 2.66GHz
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    2 x 1 TB RAID 1 Storage
    100Mbps unlimited bandwidth

So my question is can the server single handedly handle such demand of power? Just give an estimate.
    Superb Houston/Los Angeles Colocation: LAYERHOST.COM https://www.layerhost.com/colocation
    *not affiliated, just recommendation*

sounds cool nobody wants to reply to this.
    all is well.
    Superb Houston/Los Angeles Colocation: LAYERHOST.COM https://www.layerhost.com/colocation

It depends on the material of the chassis... hopefully it is a steel chassic...

On a more serious note, I don't think it would be able to handle that many visitors efficiently. You should probably go for a cluster of less powerful servers instead.
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting
    Powered by OpenVZ | Servers located in the USA | 99.9% Uptime

Assuming those drives are 7200 RPM SATA 3 Gbps with a decent RAID card, that server should have no problems with that load. The i7 920 is one of the best processors out there, though it is really for a desktop rather than a server.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghan_04 View Post
    though it is really for a desktop rather than a server.
    Does this matter at all as long as it can get the job done.
    It's either it can or it cannot.
    Right?

> Does this matter at all

No, it does not matter much at all. There are small differences between server processors and desktop processors, but both can be used to serve sites.

Quote Originally Posted by AHN-Jay View Post
    You should probably go for a cluster of less powerful servers instead.
    What you mean?
    You mean go for cloud hosting? with NAS storage that may not be as good and performance not as good if cluster is heavily loaded?
    I may be wrong.

> Does this matter at all

No, it does not matter much at all. There are small differences between server processors and desktop processors, but both can be used to serve sites.
    True.
    But do you agree that the i7 920 will even beat some quad core Xeons?

> But do you agree that the i7 920 will even beat some quad core Xeons?

Yes, many of them. It depends mainly on the architecture of the CPU in question. I would say that the i7 920 is better than any Xeon 32xx series. The 920 is about level with the Xeon 55xx and 56xx series chips in terms of architecture so the Xeons may be slightly better in that case. But the 920 is still a great chip by today's standards.

> But do you agree that the i7 920 will even beat some quad core Xeons?

Yes, many of them. It depends mainly on the architecture of the CPU in question. I would say that the i7 920 is better than any Xeon 32xx series. The 920 is about level with the Xeon 55xx and 56xx series chips in terms of architecture so the Xeons may be slightly better in that case. But the 920 is still a great chip by today's standards.
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
    The i7 980X is a powerhouse.
    Last edited by nokia3310; 05-02-2011 at 10:34 PM.

1 million pageviews per day is quite a lot of views... About 700 page views in a minute. Kinda putting a real strain on your server. But then again, why are you looking for i7? Just go for a Cloud and you'll be totally fine, no need for the headache.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    1 million pageviews per day is quite a lot of views... About 700 page views in a minute. Kinda putting a real strain on your server. But then again, why are you looking for i7? Just go for a Cloud and you'll be totally fine, no need for the headache.
    We live in a world of money; looks like you forgot that.

Huh? What does the world of money has anything to do with i7 and a Cloud?

We are discussing about the feasibility of using i7 for your purpose and I'm suggesting that you go with a Cloud Hosting instead. Oh well... take it or not, it up to you.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    Huh? What does the world of money has anything to do with i7 and a Cloud?

We are discussing about the feasibility of using i7 for your purpose and I'm suggesting that you go with a Cloud Hosting instead. Oh well... take it or not, it up to you.
    You don't get it.

Hello,
    If you are serving up 20,000,000 pages per month (with 5 images per page) then that rounds to around 100,000,000 images served per month. This is roughly 3,333,333 images served up per day or 40 images per second for the entire month.

With this said, CPU and RAM are not going to be your biggest concern, it is simply going to be a matter of bandwidth as you will max out the 100 MBIT Port rather quickly.

As others have said, a cluster of 3-10 smaller servers (i5 with 4 GB RAM) may be best, especially if they are load balancing on 1 GBPS Ports. Of course this will be expensive. You should also look to using SSD or RAID5 as they will have faster read speeds then 2x 1 TB in a RAID

If the images are static, then look into a CDN to offload the images
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

Quote Originally Posted by KDisk View Post
    Hello,
    If you are serving up 20,000,000 pages per month (with 5 images per page) then that rounds to around 100,000,000 images served per month. This is roughly 3,333,333 images served up per day or 40 images per second for the entire month.

With this said, CPU and RAM are not going to be your biggest concern, it is simply going to be a matter of bandwidth as you will max out the 100 MBIT Port rather quickly.

As others have said, a cluster of 3-10 smaller servers (i5 with 4 GB RAM) may be best, especially if they are load balancing on 1 GBPS Ports. Of course this will be expensive. You should also look to using SSD or RAID5 as they will have faster read speeds then 2x 1 TB in a RAID

If the images are static, then look into a CDN to offload the images
    So if the bandwidth is pushed to 1Gbps then the server is okay?
    Also what is static image and what is dynamic image?
    if image doesn't disappear from website is that what static is? cos i hear this alot but don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by nokia3310 View Post
    So if the bandwidth is pushed to 1Gbps then the server is okay?
    Also what is static image and what is dynamic image?
    if image doesn't disappear from website is that what static is? cos i hear this alot but don't get it.
    Hello,
    1 GBPS will help but I feel a few smaller servers on a 1 GBPS connection would be best.

Static Images are simple .jpeg, .bmp, .gif, etc images uploaded to the website (such as a photo sharing site)

Dynamic Images are images created or modified by a script (such as imagemagic). (CAPTCHA, Maps, etc).

Dynamic images cause a higher CPU load as they are generated on the fly.
    Keith I Myers

Hello,

That will be really expensive 3-10 servers with loadbalancing. That enough will shut the business down..lol..seriously.
    Especially when added to CDN, that will just close the whole business down. No need for downtime, the price will shut down the servers...lol

That will be really expensive 3-10 servers with loadbalancing. That enough will shut the business down..lol..seriously.
    Especially when added to CDN, that will just close the whole business down. No need for downtime, the price will shut down the servers...lol
    Hello,
    Truthfully there if you are getting 20,000,000 visitors per month, with proper monetisation, you should easily be making $2,000 per month (on the low end) - $15,000 per month.

You can have a small cluster setup (with the specs I quoted above) for $120 per server (Lets assume you go with 3 to start), that's roughly a $360 per month investment.

May I ask... are you CURRENTLY seeing that many page views or is that what you hopefully will start expecting? If you are simply guessing what you expect to see, then go with 1 server, more can be added as needed (hence the beauty of the cluster). This also allows you to scale up and scale down as needed, truly flexible if you ask me.
    Keith I Myers

Hello,
    Truthfully there if you are getting 20,000,000 visitors per month, with proper monetisation, you should easily be making $2,000 per month (on the low end) - $15,000 per month.

You can have a small cluster setup (with the specs I quoted above) for $120 per server (Lets assume you go with 3 to start), that's roughly a $360 per month investment.

May I ask... are you CURRENTLY seeing that many page views or is that what you hopefully will start expecting? If you are simply guessing what you expect to see, then go with 1 server, more can be added as needed (hence the beauty of the cluster). This also allows you to scale up and scale down as needed, truly flexible if you ask me.
    lol...no way am i experiencing such traffic..not even near at all. But just wanted know what the server can take.
    I hear people saying a 1GB RAM VPS can handle 2 Million pageviews/month easily, so i thought the server should be able to handle such power too.

lol...no way am i experiencing such traffic..not even near at all. But just wanted know what the server can take.
    I hear people saying a 1GB RAM VPS can handle 2 Million pageviews/month easily, so i thought the server should be able to handle such power too.
    Hello,
    Just to shine some light on the scope of 2 Million Pageviews, On K-Disk, I currently host over 5,000 domains (countless sub domains). I do not see 2 million combined page views on all the servers combined.

A site with that many visits should be clustered
    Keith I Myers

This server can take 20 million hits per month w/ proper optimization. You might want to look at nginx. I don't think it will be able to handle apache though. Is that hardware raid or software? What type of drives are those?

What will the server run? If you're planning on running heavy database applications, then this server is definitely NOT build for that.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyVox View Post
    This server can take 20 million hits per month w/ proper optimization. You might want to look at nginx. I don't think it will be able to handle apache though. Is that hardware raid or software? What type of drives are those?

What will the server run? If you're planning on running heavy database applications, then this server is definitely NOT build for that.
    The OP stated 2 1TB Hard Disks, (RAID 1 I assume), this would mean it is either 5400 or 7200 RPM Drives. nginX would be a requirement but you would need to set up some heavy cacheing if you have some database driven applications
    Keith I Myers

Quote Originally Posted by TinyVox View Post

SERVER:

Intel i7 920
    4x 2x 2.66GHz
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    2 x 1 TB 7200 RPM RAID 1 Storage
    100Mbps unlimited bandwidth

Also you asking if its database intensive but i gave good enough information to answer that question. You may want to see the opening post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast