Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How strong is this server?

What do you think of this dedicated server?
    Can it power multiple websites(lets say 10) on a server with combined 20 Million pageviews/month?
    Server may experience between 1,000 to 2,000 concurrent visitors from all sites combined [occasionally].

***** average website with lets say 5(500px by 500px jpeg) images/page.

SERVER:

Intel i7 920
    4x 2x 2.66GHz
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    2 x 1 TB RAID 1 Storage
    100Mbps unlimited bandwidth

So my question is can the server single handedly handle such demand of power? Just give an estimate.
    mission critical!

sounds cool nobody wants to reply to this.
    all is well.
    mission critical!

It depends on the material of the chassis... hopefully it is a steel chassic...

On a more serious note, I don't think it would be able to handle that many visitors efficiently. You should probably go for a cluster of less powerful servers instead.
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting
    Powered by OpenVZ | Servers located in the USA | 99.9% Uptime

Assuming those drives are 7200 RPM SATA 3 Gbps with a decent RAID card, that server should have no problems with that load. The i7 920 is one of the best processors out there, though it is really for a desktop rather than a server.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghan_04 View Post
    though it is really for a desktop rather than a server.
    Does this matter at all as long as it can get the job done.
    It's either it can or it cannot.
    Right?
    mission critical!

> Does this matter at all

No, it does not matter much at all. There are small differences between server processors and desktop processors, but both can be used to serve sites.

Quote Originally Posted by AHN-Jay View Post
    You should probably go for a cluster of less powerful servers instead.
    What you mean?
    You mean go for cloud hosting? with NAS storage that may not be as good and performance not as good if cluster is heavily loaded?
    I may be wrong.
    mission critical!

> Does this matter at all

No, it does not matter much at all. There are small differences between server processors and desktop processors, but both can be used to serve sites.
    True.
    But do you agree that the i7 920 will even beat some quad core Xeons?
    mission critical!

> But do you agree that the i7 920 will even beat some quad core Xeons?

Yes, many of them. It depends mainly on the architecture of the CPU in question. I would say that the i7 920 is better than any Xeon 32xx series. The 920 is about level with the Xeon 55xx and 56xx series chips in terms of architecture so the Xeons may be slightly better in that case. But the 920 is still a great chip by today's standards.

> But do you agree that the i7 920 will even beat some quad core Xeons?

Yes, many of them. It depends mainly on the architecture of the CPU in question. I would say that the i7 920 is better than any Xeon 32xx series. The 920 is about level with the Xeon 55xx and 56xx series chips in terms of architecture so the Xeons may be slightly better in that case. But the 920 is still a great chip by today's standards.
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
    The i7 980X is a powerhouse.
    Last edited by nokia3310; 05-02-2011 at 10:34 PM.
    mission critical!

1 million pageviews per day is quite a lot of views... About 700 page views in a minute. Kinda putting a real strain on your server. But then again, why are you looking for i7? Just go for a Cloud and you'll be totally fine, no need for the headache.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    1 million pageviews per day is quite a lot of views... About 700 page views in a minute. Kinda putting a real strain on your server. But then again, why are you looking for i7? Just go for a Cloud and you'll be totally fine, no need for the headache.
    We live in a world of money; looks like you forgot that.
    mission critical!

Huh? What does the world of money has anything to do with i7 and a Cloud?

We are discussing about the feasibility of using i7 for your purpose and I'm suggesting that you go with a Cloud Hosting instead. Oh well... take it or not, it up to you.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

We are discussing about the feasibility of using i7 for your purpose and I'm suggesting that you go with a Cloud Hosting instead. Oh well... take it or not, it up to you.
    You don't get it.
    mission critical!

Hello,
    If you are serving up 20,000,000 pages per month (with 5 images per page) then that rounds to around 100,000,000 images served per month. This is roughly 3,333,333 images served up per day or 40 images per second for the entire month.

With this said, CPU and RAM are not going to be your biggest concern, it is simply going to be a matter of bandwidth as you will max out the 100 MBIT Port rather quickly.

As others have said, a cluster of 3-10 smaller servers (i5 with 4 GB RAM) may be best, especially if they are load balancing on 1 GBPS Ports. Of course this will be expensive. You should also look to using SSD or RAID5 as they will have faster read speeds then 2x 1 TB in a RAID

If the images are static, then look into a CDN to offload the images
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

Quote Originally Posted by KDisk View Post
    Hello,
    If you are serving up 20,000,000 pages per month (with 5 images per page) then that rounds to around 100,000,000 images served per month. This is roughly 3,333,333 images served up per day or 40 images per second for the entire month.

With this said, CPU and RAM are not going to be your biggest concern, it is simply going to be a matter of bandwidth as you will max out the 100 MBIT Port rather quickly.

As others have said, a cluster of 3-10 smaller servers (i5 with 4 GB RAM) may be best, especially if they are load balancing on 1 GBPS Ports. Of course this will be expensive. You should also look to using SSD or RAID5 as they will have faster read speeds then 2x 1 TB in a RAID

If the images are static, then look into a CDN to offload the images
    So if the bandwidth is pushed to 1Gbps then the server is okay?
    Also what is static image and what is dynamic image?
    if image doesn't disappear from website is that what static is? cos i hear this alot but don't get it.
    mission critical!

Quote Originally Posted by nokia3310 View Post
    So if the bandwidth is pushed to 1Gbps then the server is okay?
    Also what is static image and what is dynamic image?
    if image doesn't disappear from website is that what static is? cos i hear this alot but don't get it.
    Hello,
    1 GBPS will help but I feel a few smaller servers on a 1 GBPS connection would be best.

Static Images are simple .jpeg, .bmp, .gif, etc images uploaded to the website (such as a photo sharing site)

Dynamic Images are images created or modified by a script (such as imagemagic). (CAPTCHA, Maps, etc).

Dynamic images cause a higher CPU load as they are generated on the fly.
    Keith I Myers

Hello,

That will be really expensive 3-10 servers with loadbalancing. That enough will shut the business down..lol..seriously.
    Especially when added to CDN, that will just close the whole business down. No need for downtime, the price will shut down the servers...lol
    mission critical!

That will be really expensive 3-10 servers with loadbalancing. That enough will shut the business down..lol..seriously.
    Especially when added to CDN, that will just close the whole business down. No need for downtime, the price will shut down the servers...lol
    Hello,
    Truthfully there if you are getting 20,000,000 visitors per month, with proper monetisation, you should easily be making $2,000 per month (on the low end) - $15,000 per month.

You can have a small cluster setup (with the specs I quoted above) for $120 per server (Lets assume you go with 3 to start), that's roughly a $360 per month investment.

May I ask... are you CURRENTLY seeing that many page views or is that what you hopefully will start expecting? If you are simply guessing what you expect to see, then go with 1 server, more can be added as needed (hence the beauty of the cluster). This also allows you to scale up and scale down as needed, truly flexible if you ask me.
    Keith I Myers

Hello,
    Truthfully there if you are getting 20,000,000 visitors per month, with proper monetisation, you should easily be making $2,000 per month (on the low end) - $15,000 per month.

You can have a small cluster setup (with the specs I quoted above) for $120 per server (Lets assume you go with 3 to start), that's roughly a $360 per month investment.

May I ask... are you CURRENTLY seeing that many page views or is that what you hopefully will start expecting? If you are simply guessing what you expect to see, then go with 1 server, more can be added as needed (hence the beauty of the cluster). This also allows you to scale up and scale down as needed, truly flexible if you ask me.
    lol...no way am i experiencing such traffic..not even near at all. But just wanted know what the server can take.
    I hear people saying a 1GB RAM VPS can handle 2 Million pageviews/month easily, so i thought the server should be able to handle such power too.
    mission critical!

lol...no way am i experiencing such traffic..not even near at all. But just wanted know what the server can take.
    I hear people saying a 1GB RAM VPS can handle 2 Million pageviews/month easily, so i thought the server should be able to handle such power too.
    Hello,
    Just to shine some light on the scope of 2 Million Pageviews, On K-Disk, I currently host over 5,000 domains (countless sub domains). I do not see 2 million combined page views on all the servers combined.

A site with that many visits should be clustered
    Keith I Myers

This server can take 20 million hits per month w/ proper optimization. You might want to look at nginx. I don't think it will be able to handle apache though. Is that hardware raid or software? What type of drives are those?

What will the server run? If you're planning on running heavy database applications, then this server is definitely NOT build for that.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyVox View Post
    This server can take 20 million hits per month w/ proper optimization. You might want to look at nginx. I don't think it will be able to handle apache though. Is that hardware raid or software? What type of drives are those?

What will the server run? If you're planning on running heavy database applications, then this server is definitely NOT build for that.
    The OP stated 2 1TB Hard Disks, (RAID 1 I assume), this would mean it is either 5400 or 7200 RPM Drives. nginX would be a requirement but you would need to set up some heavy cacheing if you have some database driven applications
    Keith I Myers

Quote Originally Posted by TinyVox View Post

SERVER:

Intel i7 920
    4x 2x 2.66GHz
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    2 x 1 TB 7200 RPM RAID 1 Storage

Also you asking if its database intensive but i gave good enough information to answer that question. You may want to see the opening post.
    mission critical!

Yes, I read your first post. You haven't provided us with enough information though.

Here's some more for you.
    How much bandwidth do these site use? Is the 100mbps necessary?
    Can you provide information on the sites (iostats, queries/secs, query read/write ratio, concurrent mysql connections, etc)? especially info on the intense ones.
    Do these sites require mod_rewrite?
    What's your server budget?
    Did you know the i7 920 and the i7 950 are almost the same price?

Why are you all here discussing CPU, while the main point should be RAM + HDDs? i7 920 will perfectly handle the load, provided you don't have ultra heavy cron scripts combined with graphic computing.
    Depending on the nature of your websites, whether they are static (HTML) or generated live (PHP scripts), you'll require as much HDD speed as possible, so I'd opt SAS drives instead. Moreover NGINX caching requires lots of RAM in case both your webpages tend to be heavy and there are a bazillions of simultaneous connections.
    Hope you'll find that helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HostZealot View Post
    Why are you all here discussing CPU, while the main point should be RAM + HDDs? i7 920 will perfectly handle the load, provided you don't have ultra heavy cron scripts combined with graphic computing.
    Depending on the nature of your websites, whether they are static (HTML) or generated live (PHP scripts), you'll require as much HDD speed as possible, so I'd opt SAS drives instead. Moreover NGINX caching requires lots of RAM in case both your webpages tend to be heavy and there are a bazillions of simultaneous connections.
    Hope you'll find that helpful.
    Thanks for your take.
    Don't you think 1TB of SAS will be very hard to come by and very expensive also. Or you think the SAS should be used for database only. For a website using massive storage, SAS is really not economical to use.
    mission critical!

Thanks for your take.
    Don't you think 1TB of SAS will be very hard to come by and very expensive also. Or you think the SAS should be used for database only. For a website using massive storage, SAS is really not economical to use.
    You surely need 1TB of storage?

You can move all your databases to a SAS and SATA for the rest. That would be inexpensive setup but surely you need to look for a provider who does this---many won't.
    CurlHost - Affordable VPS/Dedicated Servers!
    Multiple Locations! We're right beside you!

What kind of hits are they? Is each page load hitting a mysql database? There are so many factors, a 100,000 hit website can need more hardware than one serving 10,000,000.. there really are missing information. Why not benchmark the current website? You were kinda impolite to the user trying to propose cloud, so I will say that you're probably not the right person for the job of determining what is required for your project. Fire yourself if you're a consultant or start reading and educate yourself a little more before you get all high and mighty.

You'll probably run out of disk I/O before CPU.

32. Quote Originally Posted by nokia3310 View Post
    Does this matter at all as long as it can get the job done.
    It's either it can or it cannot.
    Right?
    No, it does not matter as there isn't much difference.

If you are going to serve a db driven website 20million PV/month, try to use faster HDD or a larger RAM (Used as a cache). Sata drives will be a bottle neck.

Quote Originally Posted by mousepad99 View Post
    What kind of hits are they? Is each page load hitting a mysql database? There are so many factors, a 100,000 hit website can need more hardware than one serving 10,000,000.. there really are missing information. Why not benchmark the current website? You were kinda impolite to the user trying to propose cloud, so I will say that you're probably not the right person for the job of determining what is required for your project. Fire yourself if you're a consultant or start reading and educate yourself a little more before you get all high and mighty.
    I didn't intend to be impolite or anything...far from that..i was just making a joke that it will be costly...so maybe others took it differently.

As i said i gave some good information and i am only asking for estimate here and not some perfect answer. So my answer should at least be based on my information, if even nothing more.
    mission critical!

Hard to estimate really. If you're talking about 1k concurrent mysql users, then the server won't be able to handle that. The fact that you have a big database will make matters even worst. Have you thought of denormalizing your database? maybe vertical partition your big tables?

Quote Originally Posted by chennaihomie View Post
    Sata drives will be a bottle neck.
    Really?
    How come the hard drive speed will be a bottleneck? How does that work?

Thanks.
    mission critical!

I/O mostly, when serving so much pictures per minute.

Really?

Thanks.
    You need to check the hard drive speed. If it's serving lots of images per second, chances are load speeds would really spike due to the hard disk unable to keep up with the load. CPU wise should be fine.

What do you think of this dedicated server?
    Can it power multiple websites(lets say 10) on a server with combined 20 Million pageviews/month?
    Server may experience between 1,000 to 2,000 concurrent visitors from all sites combined [occasionally].

***** average website with lets say 5(500px by 500px jpeg) images/page.

SERVER:

Intel i7 920
    4x 2x 2.66GHz
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    2 x 1 TB RAID 1 Storage

So my question is can the server single handedly handle such demand of power? Just give an estimate.
    If these are all static sites and not using php/MySQL (you didn't specify) you could use lighttpd or nginx and I am sure it would handle them fine.

If you have 10 wordpress sites it would probably crush the IO of that system unless you had 8-10 disks in a raid-10 array.

also you could use squid to reverse proxy, or even be creative and store the images in memcached for ultimate speed.

thanks,
    -Drew
    XLHost.com
    Dedicated Servers, Virtual Private Servers, and more since 1995.
    drew @ xlhost.com

Quote Originally Posted by XLHost View Post
    If these are all static sites and not using php/MySQL (you didn't specify) you could use lighttpd or nginx and I am sure it would handle them fine.

If you have 10 wordpress sites it would probably crush the IO of that system unless you had 8-10 disks in a raid-10 array.

also you could use squid to reverse proxy, or even be creative and store the images in memcached for ultimate speed.

thanks,
    -Drew
    Yes it runs PHP/MySQL and it is definitely not static; I thought you will be able to tell it's not static website.

SAS disks are so freaking expensive for such huge storage, so what if i use the SAS disks for database only? Will that give great performance or how much difference will it be using SAS disks for all storage and using SAS disks for database only?

Also what about RAID 0, it gives performance also right? I really don't need redundnacy because i had rather backup all data, at a different server/server location than using RAID 1 or RAID 10 which doesn't protect from much.
    Last edited by nokia3310; 05-10-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    mission critical!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast