Colocation and Managed Firewall Port

I'm hoping someone knowledgeable can help me out. I've got a colocation data center offering me a managed firewall port. I have a single 2U server running Win 2008 R2 and was asking about a firewall and was told they have a managed firewall port.

Can anyone tell me what that means? I'm trying to protect my server from being hacked from various attacks and wondering what I should be doing at a budget level. Is what they're offering me enough? If not, what should I be doing?

Any insight is appreciated.

Ask them... how the hell would we know what it means?

If they offer a firewall'd connection TAKE IT.
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

A bunch of centers say they offer a managed firewall port. I'm simply trying to get information of what it means.

What they offer is going to differ by each datacenter. You need to ask yours what their offering includes.

A "firewall" is not a ddos mitigation appliance though, so if thats the type of "attacks" you are getting, its not going to do you much good.

Generally it means a port on their firewall, which may (or may not) allow you to set the rules for your IP ... but for clarification of what any individual provider offers, you'll have to ask them.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

I agree, it sounds like they have a shared firewall and are willing to setup rules for you on that firewall. Depending on your application I would inquire for more details. Things that can be a problem on a shared firewall are number of sessions, total throughput among other things.

Questions I would ask.

1) Can you please give me the model of the firewall your using?
    2) How many other customers use this same firewall?
    3) What is your policy on firewall rule updates? How many can I have, and How quickly can you change them if required?
    4) What are my upgrade options if I were to need my own dedicated firewall?

I think that will give you some general ideas on where to go, Best of luck!

Thank you all.

The problem with using a shared firewall policy is that you cannot be sure it won't be overloaded by other customers using it. Unless the provider is putting a hard session limit per VLAN then you could end up with some downtime because someone else flooded the firewall.

Good info. Will ask them.