Should I look at spamming issue now, or wait for it to happen again?

We have a site that's under development, so only 4 of us have access to it. We've been with this host about three months.

Two days ago, out of nowhere, I begin receiving tons of emails to a test account I have. I look at the Outlook status bar, and it says there are 2,000 emails being downloaded. When I check the email account on the server, I notice that this email account has grown to over 5K emails. Apparently, this went up to 100K emails today.

The web host deleted all the emails and things are working properly, but I would like to know what caused this.

Should I just wait for this to happen again? I have absolutely no clue why this happened.

Thanks.

What exact emails? What full headers? Is it actual spam or is your development site going into an endless loop or something?

What's the content of the eMails? should give you some idea where they came from...
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Sorry about that. I thought I had posted the screenshot.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10067449/spam.gif

This is from right now, after the 100K emails had been erased.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10067449/mailenable_queue.gif

They are all "delivery failure emails". I do not recognize any of the emails addresses. And I have a dedicated server just for our site, so those there is no way that they came from me.

Our development teams consists of two people. Three other people do the testing. That's it.

Thanks.

Can you post the full content/headers of the emails, sanitizing your own addresses if wanted?

so someone is using your server to send out emails? And your getting many reply's from email providers?..

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Can you post the full content/headers of the emails, sanitizing your own addresses if wanted?
    Yes, this will be a little more helpful..

Yeah it looks like your server has been compromised. Try changing your email password, you might also want to hire an administrator to help secure the other parts of your server.

The host provider for my server just confirmed that.

Since those 100K messages were emails that bounced, how many emails were actually sent and received by email addresses?

Is it possible that this can ruin the domain's reputation with email providers?

Quote Originally Posted by vmhatup View Post

Since those 100K messages were emails that bounced, how many emails were actually sent and received by email addresses?

Is it possible that this can ruin the domain's reputation with email providers?
    IP's reputation, probably. Not sure about domain.

It does not necessary mean that your server has been compromised, someone could fake the sending email to yours and bounced emails come to you even though he sent the emails from somewhere else or from a botnet.

we see that quiet often here, and we were never the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by EDIS View Post
    someone could fake the sending email to yours and bounced emails come to you even though he sent the emails from somewhere else
    Being a dictionary word, "test@" would be a target for guessing a valid email account. I'd look to see if the mail was actually outbound from your server first, rather than judging by the received bounces. Look in the mail logs for outbound sendings.
    Quote Originally Posted by vmhatup View Post
    They confirmed the account had sent all those messages, or that it kind of looks that way based on the received bounces only?
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

You should definitely take care of this now, especially since it is possible your server was compromised. This can ruin your IP's reputation.
    Fully customized hosting to your specific needs, no general plans found here!
    'Read before you click I agree' - J

Apparently, the "test@" account had a very easy password. So they cracked the password and used my account and server settings to send spam. But I don't believe the server was compromised; it's just a very poor choice for a password.

Is is possible to know how many emails were sent using that account? I have mailenable.

Thanks.

grep your logs for test@ and wc -l?