Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by kugor View Post
    It's worth a shot. I've a meeting with the SU Student Services Offericer next week. She originally suggested I contact the IT Manager directly, but seeing as that was a complete failure, I'll she what else she can suggest.

I have managed to get the full blessing from our Head of Department for Computer Science, so I'll have a chat with him as well, and see IF he can put some pressure on.
    You're more likely to have success with the SU to be honest, the Head of Dept shouldn't really be involved with the running of a society, and won't be senior to the IT Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by kugor View Post
    It's worth a shot. I've a meeting with the SU Student Services Offericer next week. She originally suggested I contact the IT Manager directly, but seeing as that was a complete failure, I'll she what else she can suggest.

I have managed to get the full blessing from our Head of Department for Computer Science, so I'll have a chat with him as well, and see IF he can put some pressure on.

Edit: this has strayed a bit, so to attempt to get it focused again - we will re-investigate using a VPS and access what benefits this will give us; but what are our real alternatives? I mean, we could buy a new basic Dell T110 server within our budget, eBay is awash with different used systems that could suit us, but should we forget that as an option? I think the main reason some of our group are looking for a physical server, is to benefit from seeing how the server is built, how it's constructed, how it all goes together, and, to some degree, how it can be replicated and improved!
    if you're looking through ebay make sure the system actually works, is packed properly - and watch where it's shipped from. i've seen shipping $ cost more than the server itself was :\

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph_M View Post
    You're more likely to have success with the SU to be honest, the Head of Dept shouldn't really be involved with the running of a society, and won't be senior to the IT Manager.
    Cheers. I can't blame the IT Manager, it's the college policy after all.
    Probably better, in the long run, if we managed to stay independent of the college.

I guess you should not wait for the college to come to you and help you to improve your IT skills. They have a limit to what they can provide and they should be more concerned about their own profit.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    if you're looking through ebay make sure the system actually works, is packed properly - and watch where it's shipped from. i've seen shipping $ cost more than the server itself was :\
    tbh I wouldn't buy a server off eBay, unless I could collect it and verify it was working! I do drive, and nowhere in Ireland is more that 5 hours from me - plus we do like adventures, and week ends away!

Seriously, there are a few Dell 2850 servers within a few hours of me, which may do the job. I depends, if that is considered the best option by you folks, then great, but it seems that most are recommending the VPS option.

You have to see how much money you have in hand and how far it can take you in terms of learning and term, have a look at VPS Hosting Offers, check which deal suits you and your budget, try to get a semi-managed VPS, so that if something goes wrong someone is there to fix it for you.

A VPS is advised as it resides on a good hardware, stable network and most of the providers offer some sort of control panel to manage the VPS operating system, like reloading the OS, test driving different Linux flavors, rebooting etc.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

OP: Don't forget that the VPS or server will need to "belong" to the society rather than you as a person. Buying hardware may be more complicated, as it will need to be assessed for electrical safety every year etc.
    A VPS will be easier, if the hardware breaks, then you don't need to worry, and you can budget much more easily.
    Also, keep in mind that you can't do things for profit within the society, and all funds generated have to go back into the society/SU, and you'd have to keep your non-society projects seperate from the society. For example, you couldn't use the society VPS to host someone's website for money, nor could you use it as a development environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph_M View Post
    OP: Don't forget that the VPS or server will need to "belong" to the society rather than you as a person. Buying hardware may be more complicated, as it will need to be assessed for electrical safety every year etc.
    A VPS will be easier, if the hardware breaks, then you don't need to worry, and you can budget much more easily.
    Also, keep in mind that you can't do things for profit within the society, and all funds generated have to go back into the society/SU, and you'd have to keep your non-society projects seperate from the society. For example, you couldn't use the society VPS to host someone's website for money, nor could you use it as a development environment.
    Yep, already have those details in our SU Clubs & Societies guide book. The server is not for me, but it is my responsibility to organise hosting. There won't be any funds gererated, as we want to provide hosting access for free. There is a small Society membership fee, which has been introduced to A). stop the messers, and B). provide some funds for further society assets.
    We can use the society server for development, so long as the member is still an active student, and it's part of their course work, i.e. research, masters or phd studies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12