In need of a server for hosting business.

Hey guys. Need a server for starting-up web hosting business. Looked at a few places like Server 4 You, Lease Web, HostDime,iWeb, Volume Drive and a few others. Budget is around $100

Specs:
    Don't mind what process, can be either AMD or Intel
    2 GB of RAM
    250GB or 500GB hard drive
    5TB data transfer
    cPanel/WHM
    Good uptime

Cheers and hope to hear from you all soon.

Hi Velocity drives - That looks to be a realistic budget for those specifications - I would definitely consider any of the ones you've listed already, as well as checking the "dedicated hosting offers" section of this forum: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Good luck!

There's quite a few available... Are you actually looking for Managed/Unmanaged? Your requirements are quite reasonable and the price you're willing the pay is quite good as well. So it should not be hard to find a few.

By the way, there are quite a few good resellers from the Offer section, look at them as well. They have nice deals sometimes
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    There's quite a few available... Are you actually looking for Managed/Unmanaged? Your requirements are quite reasonable and the price you're willing the pay is quite good as well. So it should not be hard to find a few.

By the way, there are quite a few good resellers from the Offer section, look at them as well. They have nice deals sometimes
    I am looking at unmanaged for the moment.

5. Need a server for starting-up web hosting business
    Your specs depend on how many clients you want and or have to host. Most places will pretty much give you the machine but they charge alot for the hard drive space.

OP, do you only need 1 drive? If you're doing hosting, I doubt that 1 drive is going to cut it... no raid system?
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Make that 2x250GB then

If you are just starting a web hosting business and have no clients as yet then considering a Reseller package from a good host might be a better place to start to keep your initial costs down until you start earning some revenue.

A reseller package would also mean not having to worry about server maintenance/security etc.

What happened to those providers you mentioned already? That seems to fit your budget there.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

10. Yes and no. Reseller account limit your hard drive space alot. So how manny clients can you smash in at 70 GB. I don't know... What kind of server performance will you get?
    What version of PHP?
    Are you running FCGI?
    What kind of firewall do they have in place?

I just feel that I would be feeding the beast (bigger company) my hard earned money.

Quote Originally Posted by velocitydrives View Post
    I am looking at unmanaged for the moment.
    You can get a fully managed server with the specs you're after and cPanel/WHM included for $100 easy. You have a realistic budget.

All the best,

Yeah that budget is great, don't just always for the cheapest.
    I found out the hard way with my recent experience with Volume Drive - one of the worst experiences I've had.