* Good riddance to GoDaddy

A couple months ago, a bogus complaint was made against my domain for having incorrect contact info, due to a personal dispute with a very tech savvy individual. Rather than simply contact me at the phone number or address listed, GoDaddy (GD) marked my info as incorrect because an internal and unwritten GD policy states that it must match my GD billing info or it will be flagged as invalid when a complaint is filed. They charged me an administrative fee and demanded that I change my domain registrant info to match my billing info within 7 days or they would shutdown my domains.

I did as instructed because I didn't want my domains shutdown, but obviously, this made me pretty angry as I don't like being bullied or blackmailed. Alas, when I tried to transfer my domains away a couple days later, they informed that there was now a 60-day lock on my domains for making the changes they demanded I make. Nice Catch 22! I filed a complaint with the BBB and as a result, got the administrative fee refunded and a promise in writing from Brian Goble stating: "Should Mr. *** still wish to transfer his domain names to a registrar separate from Go Daddy, we will be happy to assist him with this process. Our office may be reached directly via phone at (480)505-8828 if he experiences any difficulties." Initially, I was excited to have this so close to being resolved, but GD once again refused to release the hold. They stated that they would be happy to assist me with a transfer - in 60 days. As an alternate option, they stated that I could change the information back to what it was and they would "consider" lifting the hold. To this I replied, "If you guarantee it in writing, I will gladly oblige." They refused. As the old Chinese adage goes, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." If they chose not to release it after I changed the info back, the 60-day clock would start all over again and I would be stuck in GD hell for another 2 weeks.

After 2-3 weeks of arguing with a slew of GD employees, I gave in because at this point, the time it was eating up was starting to interfere with work. Fast forward to today, which is the exact day that the hold has expired. After spending another hour completing the steps required to approve the transfer (GD really doesn't want to let you leave), I am finally free of GD.

Quote Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
    After 2-3 weeks of arguing with a slew of GD employees, I gave in because at this point, the time it was eating up was starting to interfere with work. Fast forward to today, which is the exact day that the hold has expired. After spending another hour completing the steps required to approve the transfer (GD really doesn't want to let you leave), I am finally free of GD.
    Congratulations! And the grass really is greener
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter