Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I hate it when my host's status is "Major System-Wide Outage"

DreamhostStatus.com says:

Major System-Wide Outage
    Posted (April 30th, 2011 at 2:37 pm PST) by Josh

Hopefully they get it resolved. I've always admired the transparency of DH's status blog.

Sounds like the dream turned into a nightmare.

Why do you hate it? Every provider is going to have a problem from time to time - at least they let you know they're aware of it and they're working on it... I don't see the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Why do you hate it? Every provider is going to have a problem from time to time - at least they let you know they're aware of it and they're working on it... I don't see the issue?
    I love DH and have given then a nice review here. I've been with them for 5 years.

But I still hate downtime :-)

Quote Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
    I love DH and have given then a nice review here. I've been with them for 5 years.

But I still hate downtime :-)
    Understandable - but you didn't appear to be complaining about the downtime, but the fact that they posted about it. It just doesn't make sense to me, or at least, your original post and intent didn't.

Actually http://dreamhost.com is still up. Is your site down? From the sound of the OP i thought the whole company was off line. this obviously is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman153 View Post
    Actually http://dreamhost.com is still up. Is your site down? From the sound of the OP i thought the whole company was off line. this obviously is not the case.
    DH actually doesn't pull up for me.

DH main site loads instantly for me, and pinging random shared servers from the status page all respond normally.

Strange.

Dreamhost has had a lot of major outages lately, I wonder what's up.
    Last edited by Tyl3r; 04-30-2011 at 07:15 PM.

If it's a carrier outage, as they claim, then depending on which route your traffic to or from DreamHost takes, it may or may not be up or down for you.

It's up for me and I'm on Comcast.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    If it's a carrier outage, as they claim, then depending on which route your traffic to or from DreamHost takes, it may or may not be up or down for you.

It's up for me and I'm on Comcast.
    It baffles me that a single transit provider can take down their entire network.

"Update 2:54pm PST: One of our network providers is having issues right now. Our network admins are working on moving all traffic to our two other service providers. We will keep updating this post as soon as we have more information."

That means one of two things:

- They don't have enough capacity on their other providers, therefore saturating their links now.

- BGP isn't setup right (hard to believe?) or not all of their prefixes are being announced out all of their providers.

Either way, this surprises me, as DH is a fairly big company...
    Last edited by Tyl3r; 04-30-2011 at 07:15 PM.

DreamHost is down for me also and I am on comcast.

It is strange they are down considering they have fairly big company.

I also like how open they are about what is going on. More companies should follow...

Moved > Providers and Network Outages and Updates.

According to

http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2011/...m-wide-outage/

they are "still working to defeat this attack on our network."

So I guess there's more to the story than a single carrier problem.

BTW, I agree that DH's blog is a very good thing and I admire their transparency.

This is actually the first major DH outage I've really suffered, and I'm only inconvenienced because I was in the middle of setting up a new site. I know there have been other outages during that period but I've never noticed them

Wow, this is starting to look pretty ugly:

Update: 8:25pm PST: Our abuse team is getting involved as well at this point. We have resolved issues on most of our routers, and have found over 500 compromised sites so far, that we are working on fixing. Overall things should improve over time.

Yeah, not a single transit outage like their original message said.

Feel bad for them, hope they get it resolved!

I do feel bad for them. To bad there are people out there than just want to destroy other peoples hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by killigan View Post
    I do feel bad for them. To bad there are people out there than just want to destroy other peoples hard work.
    This was posted in the status page comments...I have no idea if it's legit or not:

http://i.imgur.com/zf0p8.png

I figured they were getting attacked because they announced the Abuse team was getting involved. Still, that is a major attack to take down everything they have. It isn't like they had just 1 rack or something.

Turned out to be an idiotic dispute between two kiddies about who was spamming who's board, etc. The comment stream on the DH status page has all the gory details.

Some kid gets upset that someone has a rival forum and has the ability to launch a DDOS attack. Great...

Apparently kiddies have nothing better to do.

Apparently kiddies are smart too eh? Taking down a Hosting Provider is purely what kiddies do right? Comeon this seriously can't be good for dreamhost...

Quote Originally Posted by Respite View Post
    Apparently kiddies are smart too eh? Taking down a Hosting Provider is purely what kiddies do right? Comeon this seriously can't be good for dreamhost...
    Anybody with access to enough bot/zombie systems can take down just about any network. It's not until people, in general, get educated about the importance of up-to-date virus protection and keeping their operating systems and software up-to-date that things like this will become less of an issue.

Allegedly the kid involved lives in England. I have no idea if that's true - just what I saw on the DH status blog.

Surely he'll be prosecuted for this...right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast