Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,942

    Arrow Microsoft buys Nortel's vintage web addresses

    Cha-ching!


    WILMINGTON, Del. (MarketWatch) -- Nortel Networks Corp. NRTLQ -0.36% won court approval Tuesday to sell 666,624 IP addresses of an increasingly scarce vintage to Microsoft Corp. MSFT -2.96% for $7.5 million.

    For Nortel, the sale was a welcome opportunity to cash out on strings of numbers that were handed out for free at the dawning of the Internet.

    The Canadian company has been liquidating assets since June 2009. Last year, Nortel tripped over a brief opportunity to get money for Web identifiers accumulated during the years when the rising technology star was buying businesses.

    The addresses being sold are among the last of the IPv4 addresses, created in 1981 and now almost completely used up. The strings of numbers identify particular devices--computers, Web-enabled phones and other gadgets--hooked to the Internet.

    A new batch of addresses is already being handed out, the IPv6 standard, which promises an unlimited supply for the future.

    Regular warnings of an Internet space crunch once the IPv4 addresses were all distributed culminated in an official announcement in February that the Web was full--at least as far as the 4.3 billion original strings of identifiers were concerned.

    The American Registry for Internet Numbers, one of five registries worldwide that maintains the database of Web identifiers, raised some questions about Nortel's planned sale, but resolved them in talks with Microsoft, Nortel attorneys told Judge Kevin Gross at a hearing in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Del. Gross signed off on the sale.
    ARTICLE
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Laurel, Ms
    Posts
    185
    666,624 ip adresses? "666" but i'm just kidding but thats pretty interesting
    [] Next Door Web Hosting
    [][] Coming Soon
    [][][] Christopher Pollock

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,942
    Quote Originally Posted by NextDoorWebHosting View Post
    666,624 ip adresses? "666" but i'm just kidding but thats pretty interesting
    It sets the bar pretty high for those looking to buy IP space.

    Although, they must have really wanted them. I do not see other IP space being sold at those numbers (yet). It will be interesting (and profitable) to see how the next 18-24 months shake out before full IPv6 compliance. I think for a lot of smaller web hosting companies (especially budget) without access to IP space, this will be a major game changer for them over the next 2 years.

    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,446
    yes you are right it will make a major changes in all over web world
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
    It sets the bar pretty high for those looking to buy IP space.

    Although, they must have really wanted them. I do not see other IP space being sold at those numbers (yet). It will be interesting (and profitable) to see how the next 18-24 months shake out before full IPv6 compliance. I think for a lot of smaller web hosting companies (especially budget) without access to IP space, this will be a major game changer for them over the next 2 years.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,942
    Quote Originally Posted by humawebdesign View Post
    yes you are right it will make a major changes in all over web world
    In does indeed.

    The Microsoft-Nortel deal values the IPv4 address blocks at $11.25 (£7) each, higher than the price many firms charge for a .com domain. This was indicative, said experts, that the market for IPv4 addresses was heating up.
    ADDITIONAL LINK
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
    It sets the bar pretty high for those looking to buy IP space.

    Although, they must have really wanted them. I do not see other IP space being sold at those numbers (yet). It will be interesting (and profitable) to see how the next 18-24 months shake out before full IPv6 compliance. I think for a lot of smaller web hosting companies (especially budget) without access to IP space, this will be a major game changer for them over the next 2 years.
    The bar is already pretty high - I don't know what percentage of IPs are "owned" instead of "assigned", but I can't imagine it's much. The blocks that can actually be sold like this are likely only a small portion of the IPv4 address space.

    It will be a game changer though... I personally predict a lot of people who have IPs on flimsy justification will start complaining because their hosts are reclaiming them out of desperation. WHT is probably going to become SEO-host hell next summer.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,942
    Quote Originally Posted by fwaggle View Post
    The bar is already pretty high - I don't know what percentage of IPs are "owned" instead of "assigned", but I can't imagine it's much. The blocks that can actually be sold like this are likely only a small portion of the IPv4 address space.

    It will be a game changer though... I personally predict a lot of people who have IPs on flimsy justification will start complaining because their hosts are reclaiming them out of desperation. WHT is probably going to become SEO-host hell next summer.
    There is still plenty of legacy IPv4 space out there. Plus plenty of web hosting companies with a ton of IP space willing to rent/lease/loan to the highest bidder. I know of a few dozen off the top of my head alone. Obviously, it's pricey.

    Yes. It will be a changer for those budget markets who no longer get their IP's for free and will have to raise their prices. You will also see web hosting companies cut down on the number of IP's provided. I know some companies that literally give you 10+ on a single dedicated.

    A lot of that stuff will change.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,686
    Seriously, why does microsoft need 666k+ ip addresses? Way, way too many
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    Seriously, why does microsoft need 666k+ ip addresses? Way, way too many
    Microsoft owns DCs like the one that powers T-Mobile's Sidekick - I'm guessing that could have something to do with it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,942
    Quote Originally Posted by fwaggle View Post
    Microsoft owns DCs like the one that powers T-Mobile's Sidekick - I'm guessing that could have something to do with it.
    Could be any number of reasons. But sounds like they are well prepared to ride out the next 18 months.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    8,945
    Quote Originally Posted by fwaggle View Post
    Microsoft owns DCs like the one that powers T-Mobile's Sidekick - I'm guessing that could have something to do with it.
    Speaking of that, Sidekick service has been shut down now, hasn't it?

    -mike
    Mike G. - Limestone Networks - Account Specialist
    Cloud - Dedicated - Colocation - Premium Network - Passionate Support
    DDoS Protection Available - Reseller Program @LimestoneInc - 877.586.0555

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike - Limestone View Post
    Speaking of that, Sidekick service has been shut down now, hasn't it?
    I have no idea honestly, but I do know Microsoft have their thumbs in a lot of DC-type pies, and they probably just want to make sure they have the IPv4 address space to do anything they need.

    It's probably a smart move, but I fear this "free market trading" of legacy IPv4 space will slow people's desire to move to v6.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kshatriya
    Posts
    2,725

    Talking

    Microsoft provide valid reason for Each IPs? (666k reasons )
    Dewlance® Cheap Windows VPS - Chicago/Orlando/Vegas/AZ - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    Super Cheap Annually Shared Hosting - Canada/US/UK

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by DewlanceHosting View Post
    Microsoft provide valid reason for Each IPs?
    I know you're joking, but just to be clear: they don't have to. These IPs (unless I'm seriously mistaken) are from the time when numbers could be owned, not just assigned.

    If the IANA had any sway over them at all, all the original "owned" netblocks would have been taken back to be reassigned in a less generous fashion, and the "we're running out of IP" panic would have been set back a couple years.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,942
    Quote Originally Posted by fwaggle View Post
    I know you're joking, but just to be clear: they don't have to. These IPs (unless I'm seriously mistaken) are from the time when numbers could be owned, not just assigned.

    If the IANA had any sway over them at all, all the original "owned" netblocks would have been taken back to be reassigned in a less generous fashion, and the "we're running out of IP" panic would have been set back a couple years.
    You are correct fine sire. The rules for legacy IP space is a whole different ballgame. When buying legacy space, you can 'opt' to sign the ARIN RSA which would bind you to the justification rules. However, I seriously doubt that ARIN would hassle M.S. for the justification even if the RSA applied.

    There is still a TON of legacy space available. IPv4 could probably, easily, last another 5-10 years.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

Similar Threads

  1. Nortel selling 666,624 IPv4 addresses to Microsoft for $7.5M
    By dotHostel in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 10:19 PM
  2. If Microsoft Buys Yahoo - Good for Hosting?
    By cpureview in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-06-2007, 10:02 PM
  3. Microsoft buys Netscape
    By whtnub in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 02:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •