What is providers limit to help heat issue?

Howdy. Long time lurker here.

I had a full cabinet at about half physical capacity with some Dell 2U boxes and an Isilon array for a year now with no trouble. I added a large disk array and a couple 1U boxes in the top half of the cabinet just a few days ago and am now getting very hot exhaust air on the hot side from all the new machies and two of my 2U's in the bottom half shut down on their own since I installed the new array. I can't tell for sure that it's the heat, but it seems more than coincidental because I had zero downtime before. I think all the fans are running fast but I can't tell because of the noise level and haven't installed OpenManage yet.

Up to what level is the responsibility of the colo provider? Since I am paying for a full cab, should I get to put a bunch of equipment there and expect the provider's cool side to handle it or is there a physical limit to what I can put in and then have to pay for another cabinet. The provider is telling me it's too much equipment and won't help me. I'm just wondering what others have experienced and what the provider's responsibility is, generally speaking.

Thanks.

How close are you to the promised power limit?

All power you consume gets turned into heat.
    So if your colo provider sold you a rack telling you can use X amperre, it's not that unreasonable to expect they are also capable of cooling that amount.

If the air outside of the rack is cold (on the intake side / front of servers), they have done their job. They are delivering you cooled air sufficient to cool your equipment.
    You need to properly engineer your in-rack situation for effective cooling.
    It sounds to me like you may have hot air from your exhaust side leaking into your intake side.
    You need to make sure that you are not leaving any rackspace open between servers, and if there is, you need to purchase blanking panels.
    You may also want to buy some small fans that you can attach to the rear door of your cabinet to vent out hot air more directly and forcefully to further prevent exhaust leaking into intake side.

All your servers are facing the same way, and they are also facing the proper direction of the setup of your datacenters hot row / cold row setup, right?

Yep, as Chris said, if they're delivering air inside the proper SLA'd temperature range across the front of your cabinet, they're meeting their requirements. You are responsible for making sure your power (and thus cooling) usage stays under the limits you're purchasing and you're also responsible for airflow inside your own rack/cabinet.

Some easy solutions are using blanking panels, making sure you're following the proper cold aisle/hot aisle alignment, etc.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

The provider should give you enough cool air to handle the amount of power that they're selling you for that cabinet. It is completely reasonable for the datacenter to have a limit, but it's up to them to make you aware of what it is. With that said, you need to make sure that you're taking the air in from the cold aisle, and properly exhausting it into the hot aisle, without having it get sucked back in.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Assuming correct racking, a box fan placed at the back of your rack may be the solution, if your provider will allow it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=box+f...w=1680&bih=887
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    Assuming correct racking, a box fan placed at the back of your rack may be the solution, if your provider will allow it.

Hehe, that is dirty Gordon :-)
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post

Ugh, its going to look really ghetto...
    I would get something like this and put one in the middle of the rack and one near the top.

http://cableorganizer.com/middle-atl...fan-panels.htm

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    Ugh, its going to look really ghetto...
    I would get something like this and put one in the middle of the rack and one near the top.

http://cableorganizer.com/middle-atl...fan-panels.htm
    $250 vs $40. Also CFM of the box fan is presumably much higher. All the OP needs to do is help force excess heat out of the bottom/back of the rack. Place inside the rack at the bottom, back, sucking hot air out the rack and into the hot aisle. I've seen a lot of datacenter pics with these box fans, you're correct it looks bad.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

Your data centre will only consider it an issue if the cold aisle is out of SLA, the air in a hot aisle can get very hot, I have seen a few data centres using hot aisle containment with no issues, which by the nature of how it works would have probably been hotter than where you are...

All the servers racked in a normal way? nothing back to front?
    Also the same for fan's, air flow defiantly going front to back? no dead fans?
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Have you installed blanking panels in the open spots on the cold side? This should help significantly.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters