Looking for a good managed/semi managed VPS with cPanel/WHM

Alright, well here's what I need:
    2-3GB RAM
    150-500GB Space
    4-10 Terabytes of bandwidth
    cPanel/WHM
    Managed, or semi-managed.
    Budget: $70/month.

I don't need those exact specs, but a lot of storage, and a lot of bandwidth. I am starting a web hosting company/business, and want to start small with a VPS.

Thank you.
    Last edited by net; 04-29-2011 at 03:45 AM.

you need to raise your budget to $60 ~ $70 for such spec.
    Bandwidth itself isn't cheap. cPanel alone cost range from $7 ~ $15, i don't think the host willing to work on negative income.

By the way, which virtualization platform you're looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by CH Hosting View Post
    you need to raise your budget to $60 ~ $70 for such spec.
    Bandwidth itself isn't cheap. cPanel alone cost range from $7 ~ $15, i don't think the host willing to work on negative income.

By the way, which virtualization platform you're looking for?
    Alright, I guess I can do $70, I want to do this right.

I'm looking for OpenVZ or Xen. I'd prefer Xen though.

If you looking for stability and non-oversell host, go ahead with Xen VPS. Even though xen still possible to oversell, but if you select the right host who setup on LVM based VPS, the chances for oversell is low.
    which location you're interested to?

You want to "start small" with 500GB space and 10TB transfer? Here's a thought: look for a dedicated server with those specs, and say at least RAID 1 for failure tolerance. Can you find any (even unmanaged) within your budget? If not then how do you expect to get a managed VPS for that? Whenever you look for huge resources at a low price you're almost certainly going to get something that's heavily oversold.

I'd suggest you look instead for realistic specs from a reputable provider, even though they may seem like much less than you want. How did you calculate those space and transfer needs for a startup hosting business anyway?

Why you don't go with some reseller hosting first if you are starting You can search advert section maybe you can find something useful.

Regards
    DracH

Quote Originally Posted by DracH View Post
    Why you don't go with some reseller hosting first if you are starting You can search advert section maybe you can find something useful.

Regards
    DracH
    I am sure that OP owns some good experience at reseller hosting that's why he is looking for some help from WHT members to help him shortlist some good companies. now, sticking to original query asked by OP:

I would advise to go for a unmanaged server with these specs and check with your host if they can provide a one time server hardening and optimization service for some fees
    (In case you are not familiar with these processes)and you can always hire some server administrator for as low as $10-20/month for issues or time-to-time scripts/software updates. There are many available here on WHT willing to help for a low remuneration.

You can get these specs for a charge of $65-$70 per month with some low cost unmanaged vps provider which also has to be good at support.

Just Ask your selected host some queries to get a glimpse of their response times.

Wish you luck

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    You want to "start small" with 500GB space and 10TB transfer? Here's a thought: look for a dedicated server with those specs, and say at least RAID 1 for failure tolerance. Can you find any (even unmanaged) within your budget? If not then how do you expect to get a managed VPS for that? Whenever you look for huge resources at a low price you're almost certainly going to get something that's heavily oversold.

I'd suggest you look instead for realistic specs from a reputable provider, even though they may seem like much less than you want. How did you calculate those space and transfer needs for a startup hosting business anyway?
    While this is a good suggestion, and I question the "small" of this request as well with 2-4gb of ram, someone just starting out doesn't need more then 1gb ram 1tb transfers and 50gb of disk, since this is a VPS, resources are very elastic/dynamic and can be changed very easily as needs change. Opting for a dedicated subjects the users to double and then some the cost for cPanel. I know our cost difference for internal VPS and internal bare metal is 3 fold.

TMZVPS.com seems to have a nice following here, though per WHT guidelines I've never personally tried them.

Up until a few days ago I would have also mentioned clubuptime but they've recently done away with budget OpenVZ and their Managed VZ plans are no longer shown on their website. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by theprimehost View Post
    TMZVPS.com seems to have a nice following here, though per WHT guidelines I've never personally tried them.

Up until a few days ago I would have also mentioned clubuptime but they've recently done away with budget OpenVZ and their Managed VZ plans are no longer shown on their website. (please correct me if I'm wrong)
    The managed VPS's are no longer shown as they're by request only. We have limited stock in their availability as we don't intend on adding more OpenVZ nodes at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by theprimehost View Post

Thanks for recommending us!

At the OP: If you are starting a hosting company you do not need all of that space and bandwidth. You don't even need that RAM to start off. Start small, go with a company that can scale you up as you grow.

Good Luck!

- Daniel

Considering the fact that the OP needs about 150-500GB HDD and 4-10TB Bandwidth, I do feel that getting a Dedicated Server would definietly be a better solution than compared to a VPS.

The only problem is that he needs it either Managed or Semi-Managed. Those might be a little bit hard to come by with his budget. Then again, some good companies might be able to do it for them.

Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    Considering the fact that the OP needs about 150-500GB HDD and 4-10TB Bandwidth, I do feel that getting a Dedicated Server would definietly be a better solution than compared to a VPS.

The only problem is that he needs it either Managed or Semi-Managed. Those might be a little bit hard to come by with his budget. Then again, some good companies might be able to do it for them.
    I don't really 'need' that much, I just wanted to get a lot, so I could offer big plans to my customers (if I do get any, that is! )

I'm looking at TmzVPS' 1536 plan at the moment, now I've got to come up with a name.

I like the name 'PeckHost' I am not sure why, but it just kind of seems catchy...but...it's registered, but not being used

Quote Originally Posted by DylanP View Post
    I like the name 'PeckHost' I am not sure why, but it just kind of seems catchy...but...it's registered, but not being used
    Reminds me of the movie "Willow". ... "Peck"

I don't really 'need' that much, I just wanted to get a lot, so I could offer big plans to my customers (if I do get any, that is! )

I'm looking at TmzVPS' 1536 plan at the moment, now I've got to come up with a name.

FYI, we are out of stock on our US VPS's because of their high demand. US VPS's will be available by Friday of next week.

UK is available.

Also do not post your name idea on the forum, because someone else might register it before you get to it .

- Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    FYI, we are out of stock on our US VPS's because of their high demand. US VPS's will be available by Friday of next week.

UK is available.

Also do not post your name idea on the forum, because someone else might register it before you get to it .

- Daniel
    I figured there would be someone who has money to blow and would buy it up just to stop me from starting

As for the VPS.. I was just about to buy one.

I seriously suggest OP do more research before starting up as OP's requirements were way over the top for the budget given.

It's best to start small and upgrade plan/service when needed. Avoid signing up with extreme oversellers or you'll annoy many people in no time at all.

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    I seriously suggest OP do more research before starting up as OP's requirements were way over the top for the budget given.

It's best to start small and upgrade plan/service when needed. Avoid signing up with extreme oversellers or you'll annoy many people in no time at all.
    I was lazy and didn't search up a lot of VPS hosts myself...I think i'll go with TmzVPS.

I was lazy and didn't search up a lot of VPS hosts myself...I think i'll go with TmzVPS.
    Okie dokie

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    Thanks for recommending us!

At the OP: If you are starting a hosting company you do not need all of that space and bandwidth. You don't even need that RAM to start off. Start small, go with a company that can scale you up as you grow.

Good Luck!

- Daniel
    Probably the best advise here with a solid NEEDS based recommendation.

Bravo fine sire.
    Last edited by BlazingSwitch; 04-29-2011 at 02:03 PM.