Suggestion for new video card

So I've been troubleshooting an issue I've been having for about a year with Valve games where TF2, Portal 1 and 2 all give this glitch in the graphics that make the game unplayable and after some digging I found my 8800gts 320mb getting up to 110c in temps. At idle it's around 95-99c. So I'm looking for the best bang for my buck for a replacement. I'd like to stick with Nvidia GPU's, looking in the budget range of $150-200. I have a recently replaced 650 watt PSU from newegg, It will be on a q6600 stock @ 2.4ghz, 3GB of RAM. I play games like TF2 and currently Portal 2 co-op, but I also like Dawn of War and Call of Duty. I do some light netflix streaming, mostly web surfing but I want a card that can handle my 1920x1080 resolution on my 24 inch LCD and be able to show me what I've been missing in upgrades.

I have a GTX 470 card that I'm quite fond of. Runs on a 750W power supply. I had a 550W Antec power supply, but the system choked under load, so I had to upgrade. I have EVGA's version, the one that isn't overclocked from the factory, although I'm able to overclock 10-15% without losing stability.

For what it's worth your card might have a BIOS defect where the fan doesn't kick on when the temperature rises. I had a 8800GT and a co-worker shared a BIOS link that made the fan more aggressive. Noisier, but much more stable.

I have a E8400 CPU (OC'd to 3.6Ghz, stable), 3GB RAM, same resolution. The GTX 470 card will be a night and day difference to you.

I added a two-slot cooler underneath my video card, where a PCI card normally goes. Lowers the temp another 5 degrees or so under load.

Edit: Yeesh, can't even buy a GTX 470 card on Newegg anymore. I swear mine is only 6 months old.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Now that I'm off work I can access my screenshots to post pics of the problem:

linky

All other games do not do this, Battlefield heroes, BF2, World of Warcraft WoTLK expansion, Dawn of War, Call of Duty 4 MW. But once I installed Rivatuner and saw the temps that gave me a clear picture. Even now, it's at 98c.

There is definitely something wrong with that card. I have a similar generation model (over clocked too, with stock cooling) and mine idles at 50c and can play all of those games you are having issues with. If you can go for it $200 will really buy you a nice graphics card with a bit of future proofing.

Quote Originally Posted by kmonchamp View Post
    There is definitely something wrong with that card. I have a similar generation model (over clocked too, with stock cooling) and mine idles at 50c and can play all of those games you are having issues with. If you can go for it $200 will really buy you a nice graphics card with a bit of future proofing.
    Yes.. I agreed with that!

@Pavix, you might check your FANS in the cpu if its working or not.Cooler Master will do

Get something by ATI. It's better. Eyefinity 6 is nice.

or you could go with Nvidia, I just prefer ATI because of their multi monitor support.
    Brad T. Burns - CEO - brad.burns(@)zioinc.com
    Zio, Inc. - Shared. Reseller. VPS. Dedicated. Gaming. Cloud.
    AIM: ZioEspeed Skype: ZioBrad Steam: ZioBrad
    Website

I'm using dual Radeon HD 6970's, and they are fantastic.

Try the AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB. It's a high end card priced at a mid range level. It can be unlocked to perform identical to a 6970 also, as it IS a 6970 that has a software lock on it.

Check techpowerup for more info on that.

The other cards I can recommend for performance/price are the gtx 460 and gtx 560ti.

The 560ti is a little more future proof than the 460.
    GorillaServers Inc | Direct Unmetered Dedicated Servers