Question External vs. Local DNS Management

It is usually commented that external DNS management is not needed, and local DNS management by BIND or tiny DNS is OK. I would like to know the pros and cons of these two options.

In my humble opinion, external DNS management by registrar is better (at least harmless without disadvantage).

Hi

No difference in terms of setup etc. but to do it internally adds an extra headache (something else to go wrong)

Also the answer to the question depends if your the host or the client using hosting. I guess you should stick to what your comfortable with.

Andrew

I am fond of external domain management as it saves my memory.

Bind/named will take a good 60+MB just running a few zones. So if you don't have the extra memory, like on budget vps, then you should avoid running bind there.

What I don't suggest it to use your registrar for dns management. There are other companies and even free services that do a better dns handling than many registrars.

I don't also suggest what is the most common thing this last decade...at least. A single cpanel server running bind and all the other services and keeping there both your nameservers. Nameservers do a specific job and that job is done almost heretically if you have them both on the same machine.

So yes I suggest to use a 3rd party service for dns management. More fun though is to have your own boxes on two or three different locations and run there your nameservers.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MBGear View Post
    What I don't suggest it to use your registrar for dns management. There are other companies and even free services that do a better dns handling than many registrars.
    Thanks, I totally agree with you. I wanted to free my memory from BIND (which was 80 MB for me). But I did not get why you suggest not to use the registrar. I used to work with GoDaddy over 10 years. I found it very reliable at different situations.

Quote Originally Posted by etrader View Post
    It is usually commented that external DNS management is not needed, and local DNS management by BIND or tiny DNS is OK. I would like to know the pros and cons of these two options.

In my humble opinion, external DNS management by registrar is better (at least harmless without disadvantage).
    Whatever you feel comfortable with and whatever your level of skill is.

I like DNSMadeEasy for secondary DNS. Setup bind on your control panel of choice (or without a control panel in the os) and allow DNSME to AXFRs from your nameserver and set your nameservers to notify DNSME when changes are made.

If you use strictly an external DNS service, then you always have to make sure you make any changes there when you change your hosts, etc. Another opportunity to make an error.

I believe the control panels allow you to setup dns clustering also that would be seamless but then you need a couple of accounts (some could be cheap/limited).

Quote Originally Posted by etrader View Post
    Thanks, I totally agree with you. I wanted to free my memory from BIND (which was 80 MB for me). But I did not get why you suggest not to use the registrar. I used to work with GoDaddy over 10 years. I found it very reliable at different situations.
    Me too. Never had a problem using Godaddy, Namecheap etc. What I was trying to say is that there are companies that have mastered the dns management and are offering more features. And for sure not all the registrars are like Godaddy or Enom, Namecheap etc. So nothing against using registrars like Godaddy for dns handling, but if you want more features and freedom then there are companies that do exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by MBGear View Post
    Me too. Never had a problem using Godaddy, Namecheap etc. What I was trying to say is that there are companies that have mastered the dns management and are offering more features. And for sure not all the registrars are like Godaddy or Enom, Namecheap etc. So nothing against using registrars like Godaddy for dns handling, but if you want more features and freedom then there are companies that do exactly that.
    Thanks for your subtle advice!

Besides saved memory, you (usually) get redundancy and you can avoid the negative DNS cache when your VPS is down.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Andreias View Post
    Besides saved memory, you (usually) get redundancy and you can avoid the negative DNS cache when your VPS is down.
    Nice point, Adrian. Thanks!

You can run a single point DNS server, using one IP address and one BIND server. I run a single point DNS server on the same machine that the websites are hosted on. It works very well.

The single point of failure argument doesn't hold a lot of water as far as I'm concerned. If the server is down for some reason visitors aren't going to get to see the website anyway, so a successful DNS lookup at a redundant DNS server won't do visitors any good.

I know I'll get flamed for saying that, but my ego can stand it.
    Last edited by ajonate; 04-29-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Hello, i use the dns free service provided by namecheap, i am very happy with the service. It avoids the problems if your server goes down.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by ajonate View Post
    You can run a single point DNS server, using one IP address and one BIND server. I run a single point DNS server on the same machine that the websites are hosted on. It works very well.

The single point of failure argument doesn't hold a lot of water as far as I'm concerned. If the server is down for some reason visitors aren't going to get to see the website anyway, so a successful DNS lookup at a redundant DNS server won't do visitors any good.

But it would help if you have services on other servers.

Quote Originally Posted by ajonate View Post

It will however be beneficial if you have an email server setup as well because if the DNS still works, the emails will simply be queued up for delivery later.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    It will however be beneficial if you have an email server setup as well because if the DNS still works, the emails will simply be queued up for delivery later.
    And if you do have a single point of failure, the emails not only don't get queued, but they get "bounced" back to the sender with the message that you no longer exist.

That's a bad thing for a small business.

I have recently moved most of my sites to external DNS management either at the registrar, however mostly using the free CDN cloudflare.

At the moment I am only running my sites on 128mb VPS servers so RAM isn't really in an abundance, I use about 30-40mb depending on the configuration that is running, adding BIND is an option however it's just going to add more complexity and use more resources.

Another big advantage was the CDN service it's self, actually cuts down quite a few requests meaning that I am less likely to need a VPS upgrade any time soon, and the VM doesn't die with large traffic spikes.

Also I only need one VPS now, however before running my own DNS servers you really do need two of them for some redundancy in there...

I don't really see any disadvantage unless your a hosting company, really strict on security or already have the infrastructure in place.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -