Preston Host Review

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately, I don't anticipate this being a really glowing review of Preston Host, but I thought I should post it all the same given the circumstances of my hosting account.

I signed up with Preston Host ~3 days ago for their Cloud Reseller account. Being fully aware that it was a steal at $2.50 I didn't expect a huge amount, but it's been quite a tiresome process to even have my sites online at all. I'll just try to give a chronological list of what's occurred:

04/25/2011 03:11
    Ticket submitted to append my domain to my order (for whatever reason, it appears it didn't get added to the order. Faris responds lightning fast, set it up within minutes, great experience.

04/25/2011 05:55
    Submitted a ticket because two domains I had on the account were not resolving correctly, in spite of them being pointed to the server correctly and that being confirmed. Was informed after ~40min by technical support that there was an error with the DNS on the servers, and that they were being reset. There was ~3 hours down time while this was being resolved.

04/26/2011 08:58
    Submitted a ticket due to extremely high load on the server (websites completely timing out, cPanel nor WHM working etc.) and receive a response ~30 minutes later that it's now been resolved. In total, I'd estimate anywhere from 1-2 hours of either highly interrupted service or downtime, dependant on how you look at it.

04/27/2011 02:54
    Submitted a ticket again where my websites were once again not working. Received a response 10 minutes later that the servers were undergoing firmware upgrades to improve stability, and just to wait. Downtime was somewhere between 2-3 hours.

04/27/2011 05:41
    Submitted a ticket, as the server has since come back online for around 1 hour, but in that time none of my websites have started working. After a bit of back and forward about what domains were down, usernames, passwords and IP addresses, this was resolved some 5 hours later. The reasons quoted for my websites not working were "server issues".

04/27/2011 17:29
    Submit a ticket after waking up, because again my websites are down. 3 hours later I get a ticket response saying this is all fixed and I should be all okay to go. I go on and check my main domain with no content on it, all okay. I check my other domains which use MySQL databases... all down. "Error establishing a database connection" on one, another just keeps trying to connect.

I've since given up on trying to find a resolution for this. Admittedly it's cheap hosting, the technical support is reasonably responsive, I really don't believe it's worth the hassle with all the downtime and errors I'm facing to keep persisting with these issues. I've tried to be as transparent as possible, I'm not really trying to bash Preston Host for anything, but more rather provide a cautionary tale.

Faris or anyone else is welcome to chime in with any thoughts or comments.

Regards,
    Chris

From my view. They have their Cloud hosted on Semoweb, meaning have no root access to fix it. If you were hosted on the servers into which they have access, I'm sure they can fix it fast.

Quote Originally Posted by last_wizard4 View Post
    From my view. They have their Cloud hosted on Semoweb, meaning have no root access to fix it. If you were hosted on the servers into which they have access, I'm sure they can fix it fast.
    How do you know Preston at Semoweb?

Quote Originally Posted by chhit View Post
    How do you know Preston at Semoweb?
    1. Check their IP address which is already given.
    2. Get one site hosted in the IP address.
    3. Check the SOA email record, it shows i.webhost.yahoo.com, which is the Yahoo account of Semoweb.

Okay now?

Haha i see. you are plenty smart. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MyCroft View Post
    I'd most certainly agree with you there, but I'd be of the thought that if you choose to resell services, you also choose to inherit some responsibility for the downtime. Even now, again, the server is down. I've given up on it sure, but really that's quite atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishollman View Post
    I'd most certainly agree with you there, but I'd be of the thought that if you choose to resell services, you also choose to inherit some responsibility for the downtime. Even now, again, the server is down. I've given up on it sure, but really that's quite atrocious.
    Well, they should give comphensation. Ask for it, as what their TOS says.

Thank for the honest review .. it will help people
    hostcats.com - Linux|Windows
    Shared|Reseller|Tomcat|vps|dedicated servers|Cloud
    Datacenters:USA|India Cloud: OnApp
    100 days Full Refund| No Questions are asked!

I am not sure how it is cloud hosting. CloudLinux is a OS not cloud hosting.

Thanks for your review.
    HostPair LLC - Providing Reliable Web Hosting - Since 2009 | Authorized cPanel Partner
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Premium Xen VPS | Windows VPS | Dedicated Server

Fast Support | 99.9% Uptime | 30 days Moneyback Guarantee!
    WHMCS Integration Service - Get your site integrated today!

But the important point is for all users including me is your true experience. This review will help us more.

Thank you for your honest review.

Yes indeed I have to agree that the server have been causing a lot problems lately and the techs at the DC have been working really hard solving the issue. We didn't issue any credits for the downtime due to the reason the server are having hardware failures and for most host out there, they do not offer credits refund for hardware issues and furthermore we didn't get a single cent from our host. We couldn't do much from our end as we do not have access to the server. Our staff have been bugging our host to resolve it asap but they from their side couldn't do much either as it is a serverside issue. Only the tech at the DC could solve the issue. I have a long talk with Dustin and he guarantee that the problem shouldn't occur again as 3ware have already been installed on the server and judging from the time the issue was resolved until now, it is much more stable. Do bare in mind that our staff have been complaining and bugging the host to resolve it asap which I didn't expect them to do it. I apologize for the problems you have encountered and will be more than willing to compensate you accordingly if you wish.

$2.50 sound really cheap, but we care for each of our clients. Cheap does not means slow and poor service. We guarantee that all clients are treated equally no matter which services you are on. I hope that you will give us another chance to prove ourself that we are reliable. As regard to your site, I will be more than willing to move you to the new UK location if you wish at totally no cost. In addition to that, I have to say that we have been handling downtime well on the servers we have full root access on.

If you have any more questions and quiries, feel free to drop me a PM or email Faris(at)prestonhost.com

Have a great day ahead

Quote Originally Posted by PrestonHost-Faris View Post
    Thank you for your honest review.

Yes indeed I have to agree that the server have been causing a lot problems lately and the techs at the DC have been working really hard solving the issue. We didn't issue any credits for the downtime due to the reason the server are having hardware failures and for most host out there, they do not offer credits refund for hardware issues and furthermore we didn't get a single cent from our host. We couldn't do much from our end as we do not have access to the server. Our staff have been bugging our host to resolve it asap but they from their side couldn't do much either as it is a serverside issue. Only the tech at the DC could solve the issue. I have a long talk with Dustin and he guarantee that the problem shouldn't occur again as 3ware have already been installed on the server and judging from the time the issue was resolved until now, it is much more stable. Do bare in mind that our staff have been complaining and bugging the host to resolve it asap which I didn't expect them to do it. I apologize for the problems you have encountered and will be more than willing to compensate you accordingly if you wish.

$2.50 sound really cheap, but we care for each of our clients. Cheap does not means slow and poor service. We guarantee that all clients are treated equally no matter which services you are on. I hope that you will give us another chance to prove ourself that we are reliable. As regard to your site, I will be more than willing to move you to the new UK location if you wish at totally no cost. In addition to that, I have to say that we have been handling downtime well on the servers we have full root access on.

If you have any more questions and quiries, feel free to drop me a PM or email Faris(at)prestonhost.com

Have a great day ahead
    Hello,

We apologize for any issues caused on our behalf as well, It was a stressful one and our techs worked hard night and day working with Host Dime to solve the issue.

I noticed you mentioned we installed 3ware in fact we removed 3ware and upgraded to Adaptec due with the constant issues we faced with 3ware RAID cards.

The issues has subsided for now and we can now proceed. I would like to sum it up for everyone that hard drives were failing on this specific server multiple times we do have RAID implemented into our servers just in case this happens to ensure no data is lost and never was data lost so thats a good thing, well a few days later our monitoring team noticed again the drives were degrading well the raid card was replaced it things were becoming hectic its was the drives then the raid and it kept going on like this we adjusted the fan for possible vibration moved it into another rack just to ensure it wasn't the rack causing vibration and so on.. Our techs and Host Dime decided it would be best to get rid of the drives and the raid card and move onto new drives as well as Adaptec. Since then our monitoring team has not found any other issues.

Please note clients were informed through out the whole process via the client area and Twitter.

Anyhow we apologize to everyone who faced issues and we replied here as we were mentioned by our valued client and wanted to ensure we all are on the same page.

Regards,

Dustin

Nice review, so many fake reviews about lately thats it's nice to see some honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCheapHost View Post
    I am not sure how it is cloud hosting. CloudLinux is a OS not cloud hosting.

Thanks for your review.
    I agree. How can this be called "Cloud Hosting" when they are having physical hard drives and RAID cards?

Can either Preston or Semo explain on how is this related to "Cloud" besides using CloudLinux as the server's Operating System?
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

Certainly not cloud technology, it's strange how much the word cloud is used on the advertisement for this package.

Oh well, the OP will be happy to know that he's hosted on their Cloud 4 Server

I'v been having pretty much the same problems the OP had, problems assigning my domain to the account, and then the domain just keeps dying randomly..!

noticed i said the "domain", i order a dedicated ip, which works fine along with other domains hosted on my account, only the main domain goes down..

not sure what this is? but it's been driving me crazy.

on the bright side, they response through support is good, and would mostly take a couple of hours max.