* Use SFTP to backup and restore

Hello people I got DA on my server installed ,so I want to emulate the backup and restore abilities from DA but with my SFTP client,has anybody done this?
    If so please tell me how

Where are you going to store your backup? On your desktop PC?

Yes, I have been used SFTP to take backup of my blogs data and also used SFTP to restore. However it is little bit slow than FTP.

Xscuse me nancysmith you mean you have used sftp to download ur blogs to ur pc,all as a secondary tool,not as a backup and restore tool
    Well if you have done so please explain yourself more clearly on how you did it ok?
    ye siberforum is meant to store in my computer but what do you mean or what boy?

I have backed up my control panel content to my home Win7 PC using Filezilla Server (it's free). Filezilla Server also does SFTP, but I don't think my control panel (Kloxo) can do SFTP. I've always done it with FTP on port 21.

Another thing that works really well for backup transfer & storage is to use a fileserve.com free account. You get 500 gb of storage space and are allowed files of up to 1 gb each in size. I have scheduled backups to fileserve.com with Kloxo and sent them via FTP on port 21. It works great. It's a lot faster than backing up to home.

Why do you want to do backups using SFTP?
    Last edited by ajonate; 04-29-2011 at 12:42 AM.

Isn't google a good option for file-storage?
    There's some method that gives you ability to store like 49858395GB

What kind of content are you storing? Just blogs etc?
    Also, how often do you run these kloxo->fileserve backups?

Quote Originally Posted by intelliServe View Post
    What kind of content are you storing? Just blogs etc?
    Also, how often do you run these kloxo->fileserve backups?
    It's a new machine with some web content and media files. The compressed backup is only about 200 mb right now.

I was running it daily for testing purposes and everything went fine for 3 days, but I backed-off the configuration to weekly backups this morning. There's really no point in a lot of backups yet.

You are all very messy like an american football team,ye I know that you do guys backup in public places that allow you to pile ur stuff but Im not talking about that so I would in the most decent way ask you to stop writing in my thread because you are being out of topic,you are related but not in topic ,well at least I havent seen not one reply that has to do with my topic,listen. I want something that enables me to rensamble a backup with da panel but done via sftp,the proccedures ajonate depicts are those as copy file by file via ftp so it dont have to do at all,please on mercy dont dirty this blog with your unrelated dialogs

Quote Originally Posted by elizene View Post
    You are all very messy like an american football team,ye I know that you do guys backup in public places that allow you to pile ur stuff but Im not talking about that so I would in the most decent way ask you to stop writing in my thread because you are being out of topic,you are related but not in topic ,well at least I havent seen not one reply that has to do with my topic,listen. I want something that enables me to rensamble a backup with da panel but done via sftp,the proccedures ajonate depicts are those as copy file by file via ftp so it dont have to do at all,please on mercy dont dirty this blog with your unrelated dialogs
    No one keeps sensitive data in flat files, they keep it in databases. That's because data stored in a database is already secured with strong encryption. As such, that data is already in a form that is a secure as SFTP. I don't see the point in encrypting html & media files that are already linkable.

By the way, you have an interesting conversational style.

Quote Originally Posted by nancysmith View Post
    Yes, I have been used SFTP to take backup of my blogs data and also used SFTP to restore. However it is little bit slow than FTP.
    But SFTP is much more secure then FTP, my site was hacked by ftp(pc virus) then I stop using FTP and now i always use sFTP.

Once again ajonate how many times do I have to tell you you are out of topic man thanks but you got the wrong wing here man