View Poll Results: Does the "Unlimited Hosting" concept bother you?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 60.87%
  • No

18 39.13%

Are you bothered by the "Unlimited Hosting" conept

So everyone will agree that unlimited hosting doesn't really exist, but I'm wondering how common this annoys people. I'm bothered by how most of the shared hosting industry pretty much lies and pretends to provide unlimited hosting. What do you think?

The moment I read that word I'll close the browser tab by reflex...

Not really bothered, it's part of the business, some use 'unlimited', others says '24/7', others 'backups every 2 seconds', others 'never oversell', and so ....
    StableHost.com - Home to over 23,000 websites.
    Contact us: 866.945.6952
    Offering: 24/7/365 Support, Web Builder and Softaculous.
    Read over 100+ reviews about us at RateLobby!

Nope, but the FCC might be at some point

My annoyance with such false claims is unlimited.
    Skeptic Hosting
    Promoting a reality-based lifestyle choice
    Hosting by invitation only, nothing for sale

I think we need to stop having one of these threads every week.

I think it's based on the fact that most customers really wouldn't put much more than a few files and a blog online. So I suppose to most people it really is unlimited (as far as the customer is concerned).

I always just try to explain to people that unlimited doesn't equal performance and stability.

When "unlimited" hosting starting becoming more prevalent a couple of years ago, I was definitely an opponent of it. As time has passed, I have actually done a 180 and am now a proponent.

Since unlimited anything is literally impossible, as been said here tens of thousands of time, I will agree that the concept is somewhat sketchy when you take it solely at face value. Although, as I've thought about it more though, it is an outstanding sales tool and relatively easy to "control" from the hosts standpoint. As far as it being "a shady ripoff" or whatever, I've concluded that really is ultimately up to the user to do their homework before buying and be cognizant of what they are getting. Especially when you're contemplating purchasing something that, to any logical person, is really too good to be true.

It is the consumer's job to be intelligent and pro-active by researching a hosting company's terms before purchasing. I don't know how to say it any simpler than that. Buying an unlimited plan and uploading gigs of files with the main intention of storing them only or trying to run a high traffic/high site and using the "well, it's says unlimited!" argument if you are suspended/terminated doesn't really fly with me.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by db09 View Post
    When "unlimited" hosting starting becoming more prevalent a couple of years ago, I was definitely an opponent of it. As time has passed, I have actually done a 180 and am now a proponent.

Since unlimited anything is literally impossible, as been said here tens of thousands of time, I will agree that the concept is somewhat sketchy when you take it solely at face value. Although, as I've thought about it more though, it is an outstanding sales tool and relatively easy to "control" from the hosts standpoint. As far as it being "a shady ripoff" or whatever, I've concluded that really is ultimately up to the user to do their homework before buying and be cognizant of what they are getting. Especially when you're contemplating purchasing something that, to any logical person, is really too good to be true.

It is the consumer's job to be intelligent and pro-active by researching a hosting company's terms before purchasing. I don't know how to say it any simpler than that. Buying an unlimited plan and uploading gigs of files with the main intention of storing them only or trying to run a high traffic/high site and using the "well, it's says unlimited!" argument if you are suspended/terminated doesn't really fly with me.

Dave
    The only issue I have with unlimited is some people will actually try and use their 'unlimited' space. They will then say, well it says unlimited. Okay, customer is stupid but they are still going to go round bashing the host that 'let them down'.

Transfer really gets me though, I mean, unlimited bandwidth... how do you tell the customer when his site repeatedly appears on dugg on digg that he is using too much transfer?

My point of view is with 'some' customers it can turn into a can of worms and then they later call you dishonest host. The problem is, too many bad reviews and your company doesn't look promising.

This is exactly why I've continued to stick with the core limits for storage and bandwidth on our platform, so at least everyone knows where they stand. It also gives you an upgrade scale, where as many 'low cost' hosts start with unlimited for $3

Using the terms "Unlimited" for disk space is a sales pitch that seems to work well for hosts. My issue with is that if the host was honest to begin with they would have more value than saying you get unlimited space but you don't get that at all. Often, along with unlimited space there is a limit on backup's. So, now you can't have your whole site backed up if you use more space than the backup terms allow. I just don't get why so many hosts can't just sell a good service and product without having to mislead people.

Unlimited bandwidth is also something used to sell but that is actually possible. In a lot of cases it is a slower connection and lower quality bandwidth, but it is still possible. The problem with advertising "unlimited bandwidth" is that most hosts have limits on that as well. So, it again isn't Unlimited at all. If you can offer unlimited bandwidth then don't set the limits in the TOS.

So, any host that says they offer unlimited space and bandwidth are lying to their customers or at least misleading them. If people choose to buy it anyway, with all the information on the net regarding the fact that they don't then oh well. They will figure it out and at some point and find a host with good business practices and that is honest up front.

The thing that REALLY bugs me, is that you have to search through EVERY one of their TOS documents to find out how many actual INODES(every single file is an INODE) you are allowed. Some are 250,000(hostgator) some are 50,000(justhost). So even though they all say "unlimited", every single ones definition is different.

To be honest, I actually would promote the use of it if it made sense to your chosen business segment. I like the term for the simple fact that it helps me choose which ones not to go with.

Not debating the truthfulness of it or anything, but by using it, it tells me exactly what your target market is - and the most important part with shared hosting isn't knowing your limits, its knowing your neighbors.

You either end up with way too many people on a given node because of market pressures, or you have people with runaway processes because they assume they have 'unlimited' whatever.

I'll just go with your competitors who don't use 'unlimited' and sit on a relatively idle and stable server for a few dollars more. But in order for that to work, I need the flame to draw in the moths. Thanks.

Yes. In short, it bothers me. Customers buying into it and businesses throwing it out there is like the 14 year old who tells his girlfriend he loves her 94 times a day. Just doesn't mean squat to anyone.
    Encept, a division of Zeruck, LLC.
    visit our site | chat with us online
    WE DO NOT OVERSELL AND WE ARE STABLE!

It's a non-science fiction, that's all. When I see host offering "unlimited", I do understand I would never sign with it
    The only problem is good hosts slowly going to terabytes, then to unlimited.

At first it did not, but recently after reading so many troubles ran into by ordinary users, now I am bothered.

Yes. It's basically a lie, with limits hidden in other documents.
    It preys upon the hosting ignorant.
    I wish the FTC would step in, which would wipe out most of it (since its mostly in USA).
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by matrux View Post
    Yes. In short, it bothers me. Customers buying into it and businesses throwing it out there is like the 14 year old who tells his girlfriend he loves her 94 times a day. Just doesn't mean squat to anyone.
    I love the comparison.

The term unlimited isn't fully always 100% un-true; Providers are able to offer Unlimited "Subdomains, FTP Accounts, Emails, MySQL Databases" for a account and unmetered bandwidth... but i don't know how someone providers unlimited diskspace, I wasn't aware they made a UNLIMITED GB/TB hard drive yet? Where can I get one?
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Mark View Post
    Where can I get one?
    Use the Acme catalog like Wile E. Coyote.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by Jamson View Post
    I agree, first thing I said to myself when I read this topic was... oh no, not another thread about "unlimited" providers.
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Jamson View Post
    The fastest way to achieve that would be to have all governments ban the use of "unlimited" for marketing purposes (otherwise you'll see a serious migration of hosts towards more permissive lands), or to have all hosts switch to unlimited, so it becomes a non-issue. Well, virtually all hosts are unlimited when it comes to domains, subdomains, emails, customer support etc., but somehow that seems OK and different from space and bandwidth. Another one of life's enigmas.

I think it's okay for the provider to say unlimited subdomains and the like because simply it is limited by the diskspace and bandwidth which are usually the key factors.

The only issue I could see as a result of unlimited for everything else is your DNS servers are going to get hammered (loads of zones). In the same way, more mailboxes would hammer your system if someone started creating mailboxes for everyone they know.

Imagine someone signing up for a 15 GB package and then creating 1000s of mailboxes. It might not happen but the thing is, it might just and then what do you say when because of said customer you have to upgrade your mailservers?

My personal take on this is unlimited is okay long as it clearly states soft limits, etc (Fair Use Policy). Unlimited on disk and bandwidth is silly, I personally would avoid.

Unlimited bandwidth? Is it? It costs money, and if you're operating on a premium network with several peering agreements in place and bundles of transit I think you'd be quite keen to make sure one of your users wasn't using more than acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by VicToMeyeZR View Post
    how many actual INODES(every single file is an INODE) you are allowed. Some are 250,000(hostgator) some are 50,000(justhost). So even though they all say "unlimited", every single ones definition is different.
    Some day I'd like it explained how someone can legally use "unlimited, with limits". Only in webhosting...
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

bear, I think it has just become the standard now where most hosts will lie. It's actually quite crazy, yet customers fall for it every time.

Isn't it sort of like the marketing technique of saying FREE with purchase of..... isn't quite free is it?
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

When someone can prove that unlimited disk space and bandwidth (transfer) really don't exist, I'll start taking these threads seriously. Don't bother mentioning inode limitations, CPU usage, memory usage, php limitations, etc because that has nothing to do with unlimited unlimited disk space and bandwidth.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

It does not bother me. What really bothers me is when they do not define somehow ( like in their forums, knowledge base, TOS etc ) their limits.