Dual Intel Xeon 5405 - 8 x 2.00Ghz -
    10,000 GB Bandwidth
    16GB RAM
    6 x 146GB 15K RPM SAS - Raid 10
    cPanel
    Fully Managed
    $199.95/mo
    UK Datacenter

I wonder whether I pay too much or whether I could get something comparable at a lower price with a more modern CPU (some kind of Quadcore + HT like the i7 920). Honestly said, 8 GB of RAM and only two 15k drives in RAID 1 would also do the trick, so please keep this in mind. Additionally, the management I receive is very good.

Thank you for your valuable opinions in advance!

Best regards
    -A

That's a more than fair price for any managed server, especially if you are happy with the management as you say you are.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

If you feel its overkill then you should switch. Maybe ask your current provider for options on a lower spec server.

@gordon: Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Website themes View Post
    If you feel its overkill then you should switch. Maybe ask your current provider for options on a lower spec server.
    It is surely not overkill. But the CPU *could* be a bit beefier. But if most people would say that the price is fair for the offered performance, then I would simply stick with it. I really do not want to be greedy. I just haven't compared prices for quite some time and the Intel Xeon 5405 (even in Dual use) is not the most modern CPU around and could possibly get outperformed (?) by a state-of-the-art quadcore with HT...
    Last edited by Amitz; 04-27-2011 at 08:04 PM.

No, you are not paying too much. You are lucky to have that kind of quote considering it is fully managed.

Drives/Ram are expensive. Fully managed = staff to pay of.

Grab it if I were you.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Amitz View Post
    @gordon: Thank you!

It is surely not overkill. But the CPU *could* be a bit beefier. But if most people would say that the price is fair for the offered performance, then I would simply stick with it. I really do not want to be greedy. I just haven't compared prices for quite some time and the Intel Xeon 5405 (even in Dual use) is not the most modern CPU around and could possibly get outperformed (?) by a state-of-the-art quadcore with HT...
    This is not how you look at things. You have to consider:

• What resources you are using? Is there a bottleneck with your current setup? If not then buying a more powerful CPU will not help at all.
    • Whether the cost of moving is worth the benefit? There is a cost to moving your server. It can be just the inconvenience of it all if you do it yourself or an actual monetary cost if you are paying someone else to do it for you. You also have to consider the lost days. You will have to order the new server before you cancel the old one. So for a few days you'll be paying for two servers.

That is a steal with 6x15K RPM SAS drives, cPanel, and managed. As others have said, if you dont need a higher cpu, you have no reason to move especially since it sounds like you are happy there.
    ReliableServers.com
    Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Cloud Servers | CDN
    1000 Gbps Network | New Jersey DataCenter
    973-849-0535

Thank you all for your valuable remarks! I decided to stick with the current provider, especially after I found UNIXy's cPanel Varnish Plugin. It did just cut the CPU and general server load to its half. I am very impressed. No further need for a beefier CPU now...

Again, thank you all.
    Kind regards
    -A

That is a very very good price, even though its an older CPU, the spec's are still good. Stick with it, you wont really find anything to match it.
    The reason you are able to get all that for $199 is the host has recaptured all their capital cost on the hardware already and are blowing it out at a super low price.

You won't be able to get the same comparative price/hardware on a new machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Amitz View Post
    especially after I found UNIXy's cPanel Varnish Plugin.
    Should your managed provider not have found this solution for you?
    The price is good as long as the server management provider is of a good quality. But i cannot help to wonder, why your provider did not find this solution for you. Either your communication with your provider is not optimal (and this happens often, usually client needs to be prompted on this by the provider) or the management staff is not up to date on their knowledge. If its the later, i would get worried!
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Should your managed provider not have found this solution for you?
    The price is good as long as the server management provider is of a good quality. But i cannot help to wonder, why your provider did not find this solution for you. Either your communication with your provider is not optimal (and this happens often, usually client needs to be prompted on this by the provider) or the management staff is not up to date on their knowledge. If its the later, i would get worried!
    They could not give me any advise because I - as you assumed right - did not ask them. The server load was not an issue yet. The server averaged around 2.00-3.00 which is not too much for 8 cores in total, I guess.

When I started this thread, I was mainly looking for opinions about the price I pay for this special setup and came - thanks to you all - to the conclusion that I can be very happy with what I get.

Can I ask where you got this deal? It would be a steal anywhere but with UK costs, even more so.

I wanted to keep the name of my provider totally out of this thread because it should not be relevant. This server was an offer here on WHT and they only had one of these available. So there are probably no further deals like this. But if you insist then I could tell you the name the provider via PM.