Question Hosting websites

Hey guys I make websites and I want to learn how to host them on a linux server at home.
    I guess I will need to read about linux, internet, computer networks, servers, DNS servers, domains, IPs, ISPs and all the other things a hosting company has to deal with every day.

Where shoud I start from?

Hello,

Your ISP Allow you to host a site on your internet connection?

Short Tutorial:
    First buy a Static IP and Install a CentOS on your PC and then configure DNS(Name server, IP etc) and then install a any free/paid hosting control panel...

done... easy.
    Dewlance® Cheap Windows VPS - Chicago/Orlando/Vegas/AZ - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    Super Cheap Annually Shared Hosting - Canada/US/UK

Your ISP Allow you to host a site on your internet connection?
    Yes, I can buy static IPs from them and host.

First buy a Static IP and Install a CentOS on your PC and then configure DNS(Name server, IP etc) and then install a any free/paid hosting control panel...
    Will I need any specific knowledge to do these steps? If yes, can you recommend me any books ? I searched amazon, but I couldn't make a choice, there are so many books on these topics.

I was thinking about Ubuntu Server, will CentOS do a better job?

It depends if you're planning to use any kind of control panel software or not, since it might only support certain distributions. For example, if you wanted to use cPanel then you'd need to install CentOS.

Personally, if I'm not going to install a control panel then I choose either Ubuntu or Debian.
    Adam McMaster

Valcato HostingOver nine years of great service
    Shared, VPS and dedicated servers.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ValcatoAdam View Post
    It depends if you're planning to use any kind of control panel software or not, since it might only support certain distributions. For example, if you wanted to use cPanel then you'd need to install CentOS.

Personally, if I'm not going to install a control panel then I choose either Ubuntu or Debian.
    Both are good OS but CentOS is recommended for hosting a site,server.

You don't need to buy a good, just search in google for How to set DNS in CentOS or how to setup centos server on your PC.
    Dewlance® Cheap Windows VPS - Chicago/Orlando/Vegas/AZ - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    Super Cheap Annually Shared Hosting - Canada/US/UK

As others have said a CentOS box with either cPanel or other control panel should start you off. Webmin is a free alternative which is reasonable for testing.

You ideally do need a static IP address but if you don't want to purchase one you could always use a dyanamic DNS service. Just don't go hosting real clients on a homegrown server set in your office!

Quote Originally Posted by ashmo View Post
    I want to learn how to host them on a linux server at home.
    Why?
    Yes, Learn, but why?
    Isn't earning money your main interest?

Why not just pay "peanuts" to a Host for a full hosting service and... make money?

I guess I will need to read about linux, internet, computer networks, servers, DNS servers, domains, IPs, ISPs and all the other things a hosting company has to deal with every day.
    Not only that..., Security, if the server is hacked, you're done, bye bye reputation and customers.
    Security must be on an advanced level, not just knowing some stuff about it.

but if is just for fun or for learning and having a better job opportunities, is cool, but for doing business is just the hard way in my opinion.

jagarco, you do raise a good point. The number of attacks is increasing dramatically.

On the other hand, if the OP want's to learn then long as he is aware of the issues I don't see a problem.

Ashmo, you might want to consider a reseller account with a recommended hosting provider from here instead?

Why?
    Yes, Learn, but why?
    Isn't earning money your main interest?
    Ashmo, you might want to consider a reseller account with a recommended hosting provider from here instead?
    My main interest isn't money. It comes from inside of me, I feel excited about it and I want to do it/learn it.
    Last edited by ashmo; 04-27-2011 at 11:36 AM.

My main interest isn't money. It comes from inside of me, I feel excited about it and I want to do it/learn it.
    That's the best reason for doing anything If you're just planning to host your own hobby web site, my advice is to just dive in, be happy to get everything wrong at first, and start learning.
    Adam McMaster

Valcato HostingOver nine years of great service
    Shared, VPS and dedicated servers.

Ashmo, I'm glad to hear you are enthusiastic about learning Linux. You might want to get a VPS even, Linode is pretty well respected.

There are a number of linux guides out there, in fact if you do a Google search for LAMP CentOS, you'll learn a lot from prerequisites to final working installation.

Good luck on your venture. Linux is certainly what I would call an interesting operating system, one that is fun to learn for sure.