Media Temple (dv)

Hi all - looking around for a new vps... has anyone had any experience with the Media Temple (dv) Dedicated Virtual solution. Positive and Negative feedback welcome. Alot of neg reviews on their Grid Service so feeling abit nervous.

Also looked at KnownHost...

I used it a few years ago in a development environment and I rarely had problems with it

Media Temple were 'trendy'. When I had problems with them I felt there was a distinct lack of real expertise when the technical going got tough.

They were hip in the 90's, Hipster finger clicking ipad shiny mac coolaidsters. Me, I prefer hosting that concentrates on hosting rather than image.

By the year 2020 they may have got a working grid (the fact they haven't should tell you something about them), or they may have spent another decade hiding behind a shiny website and being 'cool'.

http://www.themememe.com/why-media-t...ting-dreamhost

http://www.airtightinteractive.com/2...igration-woes/

http://mtcustomers.wordpress.com/200...gration-recap/

I used them a few years ago, and at the time they were very overpriced in my opinion. There are far superior options if you look around.
    Andrew C.
    Personal Website

We appreciate the feedback, be it bad or good, to see what we need to change.

@Mike ECI
    I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with us. If you could provide more information on exactly where we fell short, that would be great. I understand that we may fall short on helping customers delve deeper into issues due to our scope of support, but please let me know if it's something other than that.

We are also constantly working on improving our (gs) and our response time for customer support. The (gs) has had it's definite share of issues, but is a completely different product from the (dv). Therefore, it's a bit unfair to compare the two.

In terms of ..."2020 they may have got a working grid (the fact they haven't should tell you something about them), or they may have spent another decade hiding behind a shiny website and being 'cool'."... we've already put through maintenance to improve the (gs) recently as well as working on the (cs).

Hopefully, we can change your mind on trying to be "cool kids" instead of providing a solid product to our customers. I say this because, other than the (gs), our (dv) and (ve) have gone over quite well with most of our customers. We're constantly learning, and trying to get the same stability and happiness we get on our VPS transferred to our shared hosting as well.

Anymore feedback would be appreciated, and I hope I can answer any other questions.
    Media Temple Customer Support
    Webhosting @ http://mediatemple.net

I'm currently with them on the dv package

my site is running alot better than previously (old hosts) but it worries me everytime i check my media temple control panel and look at the memory usage... shocking at times

and its mostly that which is causing me to second think

i'm currently looking at unixy actually

and given the downtime today (media temple name servers i believe)
    i think my mind is now made up to move

again its not to say that they are bad

the support i had was fantastic
    its just i dont believe the dvs are there yet - just a few things that just doesnt sit well with me at the moment.

Reply would be nice

I sent them a message through their site a few days ago - a sales enquiry. No response. I've sent them a chaser message today. A reply would be nice. Not impressed so far - and I'm not even a customer yet. (Yes, I have checked my spam folder).

Yeah that is strange

But thats just what I do as well mate - before going to a provider I send emails to sales to find out how quick they are to respond.

For me I just called Media Temple directly and spoke with their sales team (they have international numbers)

Yeah, it's always interesting to see how long it takes for hosts to reply to sales enquiries. I guess you can probably multiply that response time by a factor of 5 when it comes to support response times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger333 View Post
    I'm currently with them on the dv package

my site is running alot better than previously (old hosts) but it worries me everytime i check my media temple control panel and look at the memory usage... shocking at times

and its mostly that which is causing me to second think

i'm currently looking at unixy actually

and given the downtime today (media temple name servers i believe)
    i think my mind is now made up to move

again its not to say that they are bad

the support i had was fantastic
    its just i dont believe the dvs are there yet - just a few things that just doesnt sit well with me at the moment.
    How much do you pay for Media Temple monthly?

Quote Originally Posted by rogoff View Post
    Yeah, it's always interesting to see how long it takes for hosts to reply to sales enquiries. I guess you can probably multiply that response time by a factor of 5 when it comes to support response times.
    Yeah usually - with media temple though they have this cool support system which actually tells you how long it will take for a response (avg 9 hrs) but i generally ger responses back pretty quick

Quote Originally Posted by jasminebell View Post
    How much do you pay for Media Temple monthly?
    $70 per month - Although i've actually now left them (my particular site just wouldnt run as well as i wanted on their system but their support and help during the time was fantastic and I would recommend them for other sites and may in fact move my other sites there)

So i'm now with unixy and knownhost testing both systems (so far knownhost seems better and cheaper..)

all 3 have fantastic support it must be said

I would currently rate them

Unixy
    Media Temple
    Knownhost

in regard to support.

Apologies for the delay in response time. If I can get your contact info I'd be happy to help out.
    Media Temple Customer Support
    Webhosting @ http://mediatemple.net