50k visitors aday, what hosting plan do I need?

Need advice!

I currently have VPS5 from Hostgator. But in the last 4 weeks, site always overloaded and sometimes goes offline.

My site is celebrity blog, using wordpress +12 plugins.

What hosting plan normally a blog with 50k uv daily need? my blog has lot of pictures too.

Many thanks.

ps: im not going to switch to other hosting company.
    im not very techy, and not ready to be independent with dedi server.
    Last edited by boymd11; 04-26-2011 at 11:18 PM.

You have a VPS with Host Gator, you don't want to move to a dedi or leave HG but you're asking for recommendations for a hosting plan?

Listen, if your site gets overloaded and goes down you need more resources, generally RAM. Buy more and you should be set.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bee View Post
    You have a VPS with Host Gator, you don't want to move to a dedi or leave HG but you're asking for recommendations for a hosting plan?

Listen, if your site gets overloaded and goes down you need more resources, generally RAM. Buy more and you should be set.
    When I ask HG customer support, they never ask me to upgrade to the next vps level. actually they recommended me to take VPS5. I was on sharedhosting.

The reason Im still with HG because they have good 24/7 customer support.

This is my vps5 specs. $104 amonth.
    CPU 2.68 GHZ
    RAM 1824 MB
    Bandwidth 1425 GB

Is that enough for 50k visitors daily? I always thought I have problem with my cache plugins or maybe my site theme is poorly coded.

thanks
    Last edited by boymd11; 04-26-2011 at 11:39 PM.

What are the plugins you use? 50k users shouldn't kill a vps5,
    I've run more on less.

And by alot of pictures, how many are we talking?

There's plenty of providers that offer REAL and good 24/7/365 support just like HG or maybe even better.. I know of a few providers that I personally can say that is better then HG.

If your having that problem with your site overloaded for that plan it seems like your site is draining the ram and it's exceeding your usage so your having problems, as that plan should stand the 50k visitors.

What is your budget?
    Do you need any control panel?
    Managed or un-managed?
    Location preferences?
    Have you checked the Buy&Sell section; you should find plenty of providers with amazing services you would enjoy and surprise you..
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

Quote Originally Posted by intelliServe View Post
    What are the plugins you use? 50k users shouldn't kill a vps5,
    I've run more on less.

And by alot of pictures, how many are we talking?
    Every new post, i put 1 or 2 images, just like usual celebrity gossip sites.

Normally theres 250-400 people online at the sametime.

For plugin I use
    Nextgen gallery
    all in one seo pack
    wp super cache (mainpage disabled)
    tubepress
    outbrain
    wptouch
    RSS Footer
    subscribe to comment, and other plugins i cant remember.

any idea?

Erm... I don't know about you but if you're actually paying $100+ for the VPS, I would have not used a VPS but rather a Dedicated Server for myself. LOL. A decent Dedicated Server would most probably cost almost the same as what you are paying right now and you have all the resources to yourself and don't need to share it with anyone.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

The fact that you mentioned that your server gets overloaded and goes down has something to do with resources. It's possible that WP is to blame for eating the resources.. do you have that wp-super-cache thing installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bee View Post
    The fact that you mentioned that your server gets overloaded and goes down has something to do with resources. It's possible that WP is to blame for eating the resources.. do you have that wp-super-cache thing installed?
    Yes I have wp-super-cache installed. But i only enable it on single pages/posts. Super cache act weird if i enable it on main homepage. eg: users dont see latest post, sometimes they dont see comments when actually theres comments there.

Well .. I would suggest you to go with clustered VPS solutions where the resources can be scaled automatically as per the requirement. Looking at your no.of visits you will need quite huge ram to serve the request.

So a clustered VPS will be the better solution for you.
    || Eminds Infotech || 9th Year of Server Management Solutions ||
    || Server Management || 24x7 Technical Support || Cloud Management ||
    || 24x7 Live Chat Support || VPS Management || Server Migrations ||
    || https://www.24x7cloudservermanagement.com||

IMHO I'd consider a managed Dedi.
    Or if your budget doesn't stretch to that, a VPS with higher RAM (Not HG)
    I do like HG, used them for a long time before I started hosting myself, only problem is I can't take any company seriously that claims unlimited on a $3.96/month package.

I think you need to focus on how many visitors you get concurrently or at once rather than how many visitors you get throughout the day. If you get 1-2 visitors every second, your current requirements should be sufficent. If at one point throughout the day your server gets bombarded with traffic, you will most likely need to upgrade your memory.

Quote Originally Posted by kazila View Post
    I think you need to focus on how many visitors you get concurrently or at once rather than how many visitors you get throughout the day. If you get 1-2 visitors every second, your current requirements should be sufficent. If at one point throughout the day your server gets bombarded with traffic, you will most likely need to upgrade your memory.
    I have 200-400 users online at the sametime everyday 24 hours. sometimes less than 200 at night.

for that money you could get middle dedicated server with specification better than any vps anyone can offer to you. And you can get true 24/7 support by most of the dedicated server providers. And by my own experience wordpress is pretty stable even when a lot of traffic comes.. so my final answer is middle dedicated server...

The all-in-one SEO pack for WordPress is notorious for ridiculous queries that take far too long to execute and really drag server performance down. Beyond that - if you don't have WP Super Cache and WP Widget Cache installed - I'd suggest installing them and then going from there.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    The all-in-one SEO pack for WordPress is notorious for ridiculous queries that take far too long to execute and really drag server performance down. Beyond that - if you don't have WP Super Cache and WP Widget Cache installed - I'd suggest installing them and then going from there.
    Also, the Google XML Sitemaps plugin has been implicated in increasing queries quite a bit. Take a look at this presentation by Envato about how they scale WP for their busy sites.

Also, MikeDVB can't recommend his VPS offerings due to the forum's rules, but I can. I have a VPS with him and the service and support there is very good, and the VPS has been very stable. I don't know if his $75 a month VPS would be appropriate (he could tell you), but I suspect it would work (1,536MB RAM, two cores at 2.4GHz and 1800GB data transfer). Mike also knows Wordpress.

Sometimes a smaller host will give much better service.