Backup-restore Webmin

Does webmin allow you to do backups and restore?

hey where is the file manager in webmin can you bring path? thank you

Webmin has a module that can backup certain configuration files, but there's nothing that resembles a system backup. I'm not sure what the Virtualmin add-on has, but you might check it out.

Webmin's File Manager is in the Others category.

You say only configuration files so it can not backup the whole html area,neither re store,howeverly how do I access that module? appreciate ur reply ajonate

Quote Originally Posted by elizene View Post
    You say only configuration files so it can not backup the whole html area,neither re store,howeverly how do I access that module? appreciate ur reply ajonate
    It depends on the flavor of Linux you are running. What are you running; CentOS, Debian, or something else?

yes centos,are you gonna bring path to access module?

yes centos,are you gonna bring path to access module?
    Assuming that you already have webmin installed, follow this guide.

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentat...ntos_5_install

Personally, I think you would be a lot better off with Kloxo than Virtualmin.

is kloxo for free?
    can kloxo do backups and restore?

is kloxo for free?
    can kloxo do backups and restore?
    Yes, Kloxo can backup the control panel configuration and websites. It can't backup the operating system though. Here is a guide for Kloxo.

http://entomy.com/VPS-Server-Configuration-Guide.pdf

That takes you through the entire process.

is it free?
    you shouldnt have bothered,if it cant backup then cloxo sucks my friend

You are firstly going nuts giving me this and that guides,but do they have power to even backup an htm area?

I dont think so
    Last edited by elizene; 04-28-2011 at 08:22 PM.

is it free?
    you shouldnt have bothered,if it cant backup then cloxo sucks my friend

You are firstly going nuts giving me this and that guides,but do they have power to even backup an htm area?

I dont think so
    Yes, Kloxo is free.

As I said, Kloxo can backup both the websites and the Kloxo configuration.

If it can backup then is a very candid thing,but now the question is can it restore kloxo too?
    appreciate ur posting

If it can backup then is a very candid thing,but now the question is can it restore kloxo too?
    appreciate ur posting
    I think that if you completely lost Kloxo for some reason that you would need to reinstall Kloxo then apply the backup. I don't believe that backup archives contain Kloxo program files.
    Last edited by ajonate; 04-28-2011 at 10:54 PM.

so it cant restore?

so it cant restore?
    I not aware of any control panel, paid or free, where you can restore the entire control panel with a backup.

Why is that such a big issue?
    Last edited by ajonate; 04-28-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Webmin has a Filesystem Backup module, which performs full (or partial) filesystem backups, including scheduled backups. There is also a very good Bacula module for configuring the excellent Bacula backup software, if you need more advanced capabilities (like backing up many systems). There's also an Amanda module. I believe there are a few other third party modules, as well. There are many ways to backup a system within Webmin. And, as someone else mentioned, there is a Backup Configuration Files module, as well. The documentation for the Filesystem Backup module is here: http://doxfer.com/Webmin/FilesystemBackup

However, if you are web hosting with your server, you want Virtualmin, not Webmin by itself. Virtualmin is a web hosting control panel; Webmin is a general purpose systems management GUI. Virtualmin can backup domains, and restore them. The documentation for backup and restores is here: http://www.virtualmin.com/documentat...up-and-restore

In short, there is no reason to not have good backups and good backup procedures on a Webmin or Virtualmin system. (But, again, if you are web hosting, Virtualmin is what you want...Webmin by itself is not designed for web hosting. Virtualmin is. There is, of course, an Open Source version of Virtualmin; I'm not trying to sell you anything, just trying to show you the right tool for the job.)

Installation of Virtualmin is documented here: http://www.virtualmin.com/download

The process for restoring a Virtualmin system would be to either install Virtualmin on the new server, and then restore the backed up domains. Or, you could use a system backup, as provided by the Filesystem Backup module or Bacula. As long as all the data is restored, Virtualmin would also be restored; it doesn't matter which method is used to restore the data.

You are just making things ajonate,who spoke about backing control panel,you are the type of guy who cant live without that control panel that is because you need to feel you are in control.
    But in this life ajonate that is merely subjective because whenh you grow older somebody is gonna take you where you dont want to be,so men Im talking about restoring htm area as well as back up

You are just making things ajonate,who spoke about backing control panel,you are the type of guy who cant live without that control panel that is because you need to feel you are in control.
    But in this life ajonate that is merely subjective because whenh you grow older somebody is gonna take you where you dont want to be,so men Im talking about restoring htm area as well as back up
    I can reload the operating system, control panel, and security applications in a couple of hours. That prepares the system for restoring the control panel backup. If I did an entire operating system restore I would need to spend almost that amount of time verifying that everything is as it needs to be anyway. I'm comfortable with doing a control panel, database, & web content backup.

When I grow older? I'll be 61 this summer. How old are you?

I've been operating Linux servers since the late 1990s. I could create domains, DNS entries, email accounts, and FTP accounts manually. But why would I do that?

Besides, the point of a control panel isn't to make things easy for me, as much as it's to make things easy for clients. Once clients become accustomed to doing self-administration (creating their own email accounts, email forwarding orders, databases, and even setup their own domains) it saves a mountain of work for the web host.

Just curious, but do you treat everyone the way you treat us? When you ask for help in a forum it's customary to show a certain amount of courtesy. I really don't mind that much myself, since my ego has become desensitized with time, but some members who could potentially leave valuable advice might be put-off by your attitude.

Then you are a senior,look I always appreciate replies but if they are out of topic I dont care if they think my attitude is bad,you have been talking of control panel backups and that is out of topic the topic here is anything that can do htm area backups and restores