Newbie Questions About Dedicated Server

Hi, don't know if this is pertinent or not, but the provider I'm looking at is 100TB.com.

OK, background. I consider myself technical savvy and a fast learner. I was making web-pages when I was 10 years old, and people thought I was cool for having a web-site on Simplenet and Teranet (if anyone remembers those blahblahblah.simplenet.com web-sites).

I'm familiar with FTP and so on. I'm familiar with control panels for domains where you can set up databases, user accounts, whatever particularly at 1and1.com.

However, I know little to nothing about servers.

I am planning to get a dedicated server for a web-site that hosts independent films that I produced and directed. It is NOT a filesharing site, and it does not require anything extensive... I just plan on uploading HTML files and AVI files and JPG files and that's it.

My questions:

1. What management solution works for me?

2. I do not want my web-site to go live until about one month after I have the server. How will I be able to prevent people from viewing the files on my server until the web-site goes live?

3. I have heard a lot of good things about 100TB, and also a lot of bad things... Bad things involve getting shutdown for unclear reasons, but it seems to correlate with the more bandwidth you use, the more likely you get shutdown. But I also noticed these were for remote hosting solution sites, or CDN or whatever. For a pure web-site like mine, am I going to have to worry? If my site becomes popular enough, I don't want to worry about getting it shutdown for using too much bandwidth... You might think it laughable that a new site would reach 100TB, but my site will contain a lot of independent films so if even one of them gets popular enough, yeah...

Thank you so much everyone.

Well first you would need to be very careful. Do the movie files have a copyright? If they dont, then yes you should go with 100tb. They are a good provider, and they are in softlayer datacenter. I wouldn't worry about getting shut down. (Just don't do CDN). As far a management, they do offer it and you could upgrade it anytime. But i usually like to get a third party admin to do my work. (From the questions about the password, it tell mes that you really need to hire one) Setting up passwords are very simple, and you have alot more to worry about on a dedicated server.

I would start out with a VPS first, if i were you. Just know how everything works, that way you just push a button and you get a system reinstall. If not you would have to wait hours for a system reinstall.

Hope this helped some what.
    Good luck.

Welcome to WHT!

There's not much for you to worry about. But for you to get a Dedicated Server just because you're hosting this is kinda an overkill to tell you the truth.

Why not just go with a host on a VPS then slowly escalate from there? Don't just go to a Dedicated Server and tighten yourself up with the cost of the server itself.

Your site would be a simple site which hosts films. That's about all. Nothing much in there. Should not be too much of a deal. Here's the answer to your question.

1. Get a Managed VPS solution.
    2. You can always put up a redirect page or something when people come on by. (Main Page)
    3. No comments on that as I am already advising you to get a VPS instead of a Dedicated Server. You don't need a Dedicated Server as of now.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

All you need is a blank index.html page and people won't be able to see what's in your web directory.

If you know about .htaccess then you could just use that. That way, you can configure httpd to block all the sits from view till the launch date.

Do some research on how to configure .htaccess for details.
    Serverlogix.com - ★★ Managed VPS / Budget Servers / Colocation ★★
    Facilities : Atlanta, Buffalo and Las Vegas
    Web : http://www.serverlogix.comContact Us

Well mehboobashraf, it might be able to block all access which is good but I think what he means is that he doesn't want others to see it while he is still editing his sites and etc.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Welltodo Century

Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    Well mehboobashraf, it might be able to block all access which is good but I think what he means is that he doesn't want others to see it while he is still editing his sites and etc.
    Using .htaccess, he can use password protected directory per site so he will be the only one to see the site while editing...
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

But wouldn't a normal redirect with a small message saying that we'll be ready at xxx date be easier instead of putting people off by asking for a Password?
    Aaron Ong
    Welltodo Century