Sandy Bridge i5 and i7

Doea any one know any providers that are offering Sandy Bridge i5 and i7 processors yet?

I am looking for a server with either one of those processors. It also needs to be located in the USA.

Thanks!

Check out the Dedicated Hosting Offers forum, search "Sandy Bridge"

Should help you find what you want.

Dell has a wait time on delivery of 1 month on Sandy Bridge servers right now. Not sure about the other big server manufacturers but Dell has a long line of people waiting.
    Steve Eschweiler- Hivelocity- Director of Operations
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials

In Europe there's also a slight delay apparantly. Still waiting on getting those CPU's
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    » Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

If the Xeon E3-1230 is an option i'm sure you should be able to find someone who can offer it.
    YISP - High Bandwidth dedicated servers and colocation in YISP-AS(Amsterdam)!

Quote Originally Posted by AHN-Jay View Post
    Doea any one know any providers that are offering Sandy Bridge i5 and i7 processors yet?

I am looking for a server with either one of those processors. It also needs to be located in the USA.

Thanks!
    I have a question that the server mavens in this group might answer: Is a Xeon that much more powerful than the latest Sandy Bridge i7's?
    Best,
    Captain Marvel
    Host/Executive Producer, The Paracast, www.theparacast.com
    I do not represent the hosting industry!

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52213
    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id...ec-codes=SR00P

I'll leave the conclusion up to your own thoughts (tip: the only difference is ECC Memory support).

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    I have a question that the server mavens in this group might answer: Is a Xeon that much more powerful than the latest Sandy Bridge i7's?
    Not really...same chips, different level of testing claimed, basically. Performance will be right at same level, at a lower cost for the i7 vs the Xeon.

So the i7 server would be far more cost effective if the box is otherwise identically equipped — and perform about the same?
    Best,
    Captain Marvel
    Host/Executive Producer, The Paracast, www.theparacast.com
    I do not represent the hosting industry!

Thanks!

The 2nd generation i5/i7 motherboards were re-released a few weeks ago, and some providers have been offering them ever since. Obviously, due to a SATA controller design flaw no the motherboards, there was a 2-3 month delay on getting these to market, as they all ad to be returned and remanufactured earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    So the i7 server would be far more cost effective if the box is otherwise identically equipped — and perform about the same?
    Again, that depends on how much you care about ECC Memory. Some consider that quite vital for server applications, other's dont.

Some copy pasta:
    ECC Memory chips are predominantly used in servers rather than in client computers. Memory errors are proportional to the amount of RAM in a computer as well as the duration of operation. Since servers typically contain several Gigabytes of RAM and are in operation 24 hours a day, the likelihood of errors cropping up in their memory chips is comparatively high and hence they require ECC Memory.

Memory errors are of two types, namely hard and soft. Hard errors are caused due to fabrication defects in the memory chip and cannot be corrected once they start appearing. Soft errors on the other hand are caused predominantly by electrical disturbances.

ECC Memory ECC Memory

Memory errors that are not corrected immediately can eventually crash a computer. This again has more relevance to a server than a client computer in an office or home environment. When a client crashes, it normally does not affect other computers even when it is connected to a network, but when a server crashes it brings the entire network down with it. Hence ECC memory is mandatory for servers but optional for clients unless they are used for mission critical applications.

Thanks!
    You will want to be cautious using Sandy Bridge (Core i5, Core i7) based systems as servers (especially in Linux) we have tested several Intel Brand motherboards for Sandy Bridge in Linux and they all have weird issues involving PCI Express/video card. (i.e. PCI Express slot disconnects itself if you plug a monitor into the DVI/VGA port).

You should make sure that what you are getting is Intel® C202 PCH Chipset and not one of the (*61/67) chipsets, either a Dell PowerEdge R210-II or a system based on a Supermicro motherboard like the X9SCL are fine choices.
    XLHost.com
    Dedicated Servers, Virtual Private Servers, and more since 1995.
    drew @ xlhost.com

Quote Originally Posted by XLHost View Post
    You will want to be cautious using Sandy Bridge (Core i5, Core i7) based systems as servers
    Exactly. The price difference between i5 vs i7 vs Xeon E3 is so minimal, that going for Xeon E3 that is as fast as i7 and has ECC memory support is the best and absolutely smartest route to go.
    If you need less performance (still very good performance) and low price, you could always look at the Sandy Bridge core i3 series.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Exactly. The price difference between i5 vs i7 vs Xeon E3 is so minimal, that going for Xeon E3 that is as fast as i7 and has ECC memory support is the best and absolutely smartest route to go.
    If you need less performance (still very good performance) and low price, you could always look at the Sandy Bridge core i3 series.
    Yes, just whatever you do, don't buy a server from a provider using a desktop motherboard with a Core i5 or Core i7.. It's a total mess.
    XLHost.com
    drew @ xlhost.com

Quote Originally Posted by XLHost View Post
    You will want to be cautious using Sandy Bridge (Core i5, Core i7) based systems as servers (especially in Linux) we have tested several Intel Brand motherboards for Sandy Bridge in Linux and they all have weird issues involving PCI Express/video card. (i.e. PCI Express slot disconnects itself if you plug a monitor into the DVI/VGA port).

You should make sure that what you are getting is Intel® C202 PCH Chipset and not one of the (*61/67) chipsets, either a Dell PowerEdge R210-II or a system based on a Supermicro motherboard like the X9SCL are fine choices.
    Weird, I don't experience this a P67 board (B3 revision) at all, neither Linux or Windows.

(note: I don't promote desktop hardware for anything but personal use. I even compile software on workstations only (= Xeons, ECC Memory etc), because I'm afraid of corrupt data somewhere hidden in the software.)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert vd Boorn View Post
    Weird, I don't experience this a P67 board (B3 revision) at all, neither Linux or Windows.

(note: I don't promote desktop hardware for anything but personal use. I even compile software on workstations only (= Xeons, ECC Memory etc), because I'm afraid of corrupt data somewhere hidden in the software.)
    We've tried it on several different DH6--- motherboards:

Intel DH61WW
    Intel DH67BL

Also P67 doesn't use the onboard video, right? so that wouldn't apply to the condition that I was outlining? anyway, as another poster said it isn't really worth the cost difference to use the desktop parts vs. the new E3-12xx parts.
    XLHost.com
    drew @ xlhost.com

The "i.e" made it sound like that was just an example of the PCI-E issue, but nvm .

That aside, aren't most P67 motherboards around the same cost or more as a SM X9SCL ?
    XLHost.com
    drew @ xlhost.com

A X9SCM-F (C204 chipset, basically 2 SATA III ports (with 4 SATA II ports, compared to all 6 SATA II ports on the C202 chipset)) costs about 180~200 euros. That's pretty much the same as a high-end P67 motherboard yes.

Oh and http://www.servethehome.com/wp-conte...Comparison.png <- topic-related.
    The power usage is more reason to get the server chipsets (I bet it's the chipset rather than the CPU itself that causes the power usage difference).

It could be that the onboard video uses more power too, I know at least on the SM board that they use the same beautiful matrox video chip that all recent SM boards have been using =)
    XLHost.com
    drew @ xlhost.com

Which is part of what I meant with chipset (basically the scrap you don't need).