Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Please help me to decide whether I or Clubuptime is right

I'll make a overview how the argument happens which Clubuptime accept
    "I submit a ticket which asks whether I can be given refund -> You told me to issue cancellation -> I ask refund for Level2 VPS bought 25 days ago -> You gave me a 12 USD refund -> I ask refund for Level1 VPS bought 15 days ago -> You said you couldn't give me any refund"
    In the quoted text, "you" equals "Clubuptime"
    To provide evidence for my viewpoint, I uploaded the record.
    This is the earlier ticket
    i.imgur.com/lWVxe.png
    This is the later ticket
    i.imgur.com/aEb9E.png

To Clubuptime:
    Don't mention the 3 days or 14 days refund period , it seems you don't know it's 3 or 14 days yourself.
    And, which is the most important, when I ask whether I can get a refund for a VPS which is out the refund period, you instructed me to issue a cancellation to lose the VPS and get nothing.
    Please don't make excuse , which you did in the ticket for many times, anymore
    It's not useful.

Youve actively used our services for more than half your billing cycle. We offer a 3 day money back guarantee. Exactly why do you feel you're justified a refund with no grounds or merit (such as server issues)?

We've stated our ground, and were not issuing random refunds. If we issued one, it was to be nice due to the inconvenience of OpenVZ being discontinued after this billing cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt R View Post
    Youve actively used our services for more than half your billing cycle. We offer a 3 day money back guarantee. Exactly why do you feel you're justified a refund with no grounds or merit (such as server issues)?

We've stated our ground, and were not issuing random refunds. If we issued one, it was to be nice due to the inconvenience of OpenVZ being discontinued after this billing cycle.
    Oh, how could you make such a conclusion?
    I purchased an annual service and I have just used it for 15-16 days
    15/365 is more than half
    What could I say!

And I bought your service annually because you said the coupon will last for 3 more recurring periods. Now the condition is overset. I want a long-term service, so I think it's not undue for me to ask for refund for it.

Let's make what you've done clear.
    Because I wonder whether I can get refund , I submit a ticket to ask you.
    You told me to request a cancellation.
    After I followed your words and requested cancellation, you then declare that it's me who decide to abandon the right to use the service.
    What a good stratagem!

Hey Matt,

If this guy cancel his services within a month and since he paid for 1 year, can't you just charge him a month's service and refund him back the rest of the money that he paid? Kinda unfair to say NO and keep his whole year of service without giving him any service since he canceled right?

Would that be a fair conclusion? That's at least what I feel should be done. You've used about 15 days which is half a month and it's kinda unfair for you to say I want my money back after their refund period too.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    Hey Matt,

If this guy cancel his services within a month and since he paid for 1 year, can't you just charge him a month's service and refund him back the rest of the money that he paid? Kinda unfair to say NO and keep his whole year of service without giving him any service since he canceled right?

Would that be a fair conclusion? That's at least what I feel should be done. You've used about 15 days which is half a month and it's kinda unfair for you to say I want my money back after their refund period too.
    I would appreciate it very much if Clubuptime did as you said, even charge me a 2-month expense
    I have never expected a full refund and I know it's absolutely improper.
    But look at their replies in the ticket.
    It seems that they aren't willing to give me even a 1-dollar refund.
    In their eyes, the responsibility is all of me because I request cancellation after 14 days, regardless of the fact that they told me to do so in the previous ticket.
    Last edited by 764664; 04-26-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Hey Matt,

He didn't pay for a year -- he paid for 3 months with the anticipation of using a coupon code to pay for a year. The amount he paid totaled out to less than 5 weeks service on our normal rate plan due to the coupon.

Not only that, but his reasoning for the refund is "Well, you gave me another one previously." Our policies are very clearly outlined: After 3 days, no refunds are issued. He has been actively utilizing the product since the day he bought it. Had he paid for a years service, we'd have given him a pro-rated refund out of fairness. However, the intent to use a 50% off coupon for a year does not count as a years service paid.

Lastly, we never once told this client to cancel. He is deciding to cancel early based on the fact that we're discontinuing our OpenVZ Platform. He can easily continue to use his service for the next 2.5 months should he so desire.

At this point, this customer has been rather rude and abusive towards staff and the time spent explaining our stance over and over again costs me more than he paid us for his 3 months of service, which is outside of it's refund period. None the less, had we not had said policies in place, his refund amount would total out to something along the lines of $5.50 USD.

This is honestly, the most petty thread I've seen in quite some time.
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Currently a Master Electrician on Broadway.
    My company, BurstAV, specializes in A/V Systems Design and integration.
    I also own ConcertCables. We build power/data cables for the entertainment industry.

He didn't pay for a year -- he paid for 3 months with the anticipation of using a coupon code to pay for a year. The amount he paid totaled out to less than 5 weeks service on our normal rate plan due to the coupon.

Not only that, but his reasoning for the refund is "Well, you gave me another one previously." Our policies are very clearly outlined: After 3 days, no refunds are issued. He has been actively utilizing the product since the day he bought it. Had he paid for a years service, we'd have given him a pro-rated refund out of fairness. However, the intent to use a 50% off coupon for a year does not count as a years service paid.

Lastly, we never once told this client to cancel. He is deciding to cancel early based on the fact that we're discontinuing our OpenVZ Platform. He can easily continue to use his service for the next 2.5 months should he so desire.

At this point, this customer has been rather rude and abusive towards staff and the time spent explaining our stance over and over again costs me more than he paid us for his 3 months of service, which is outside of it's refund period. None the less, had we not had said policies in place, his refund amount would total out to something along the lines of $5.50 USD.

This is honestly, the most petty thread I've seen in quite some time.
    I wonder whether you pretend not knowing the fact or you don't know the fact.
    You can keep making stories,but the evidence is here
    i.imgur.com/TKGgq.png
    I really can't understand why you make stories which is so easy to be prove wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 764664 View Post
    I wonder whether you pretend not knowing the fact or you don't know the fact.
    You can keep making stories,but the evidence is here

I really can't understand why you make stories which is so easy to be prove wrong.
    How about this: I'll go ahead and issue a pro-rated refund minus this month. I'll admit to being mistaken as to the amount and time paid. However, we will not activate any future orders from yourself.

Edit: I'll need you to provide the invoice number so I can look up your account once again.
    I also own ConcertCables. We build power/data cables for the entertainment industry.

How about this: I'll go ahead and issue a pro-rated refund minus this month. I'll admit to being mistaken as to the amount and time paid. However, we will not activate any future orders from yourself.

Edit: I'll need you to provide the invoice number so I can look up your account once again.
    Hope that the incident can be solved this time.
    The invoice number is 9755 and 10079

Hope that the incident can be solved this time.
    The invoice number is 9755 and 10079
    Just to clarify to the public: The refund that he had already received was for the $35/year annual plan.

25/04/2011 PayPal 3XT88244NG945735V
    The one he felt he was justified to now was for a quarterly purchase, of which I went ahead and refunded $8.86 as he had used 1/3 of his 3 months ($14 or so).

Now, he's received both of his refunds.

Just to clarify to the public: The refund that he had already received was for the $35/year annual plan.

The one he felt he was justified to now was for a quarterly purchase, of which I went ahead and refunded $8.86 as he had used 1/3 of his 3 months ($14 or so).

Now, he's received both of his refunds.
    Regardless of many logic mistakes you made (I feel tired to point them out)
    I've used 15 days of an annual service which cost 35.70 USD
    And you give me a 12 USD refund for it
    How expensive the 15-day service is !
    If you think it's fair, then it's your fairness

We don't know the whole story as we are not your provider and seen how much you used the service(s) or how much you paid. But if he refunded you a promotional discount rate, that I do believe that is good. Even though if you paid for 3 months (as stated by Matt) and you got a refund back for $12 USD, What was the pro-rated return? As for $35.70/3 months -- This is a $11.9/mo for the three months, so from what I can see if they pro-rated you a refund it should be a few dollars more (not much) but if you truely only used 15 days as I can see and requested the pro-rated refund of the time you didn't use (2 months - I wouldn't expect them to give you 3 months as you used half of the service(s)) and depending on your usage of the VPS; I believe the pro-rated refund for this period should be the 2 billing cycles that have not been touched/started yet should be refunded..

35.70 / 3 = 11.90/month x 2 = $23.8 for 2 months pro-rated refund for time un-used should of been your return. With the amount you got refunded; Did you have any licenses or control panels? As I've never seen a provider refund the prices of them as it's a direct cost for them (not a profit)
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

Stop whining. At least you got anything at all. 99.9999% of providers do not refund for any reason, even if you've never logged in.

You are in the wrong still, and you were always in the wrong.
    Last edited by quantumphysics; 04-26-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Stop whining. At least you got anything at all. 99.9999% of providers do not refund for any reason, even if you've never logged in.
    This.

If I were you, i'd be thanking Matt/Andrew for providing any refund at all. You have about...$20 now?

I'm sure you can find another 'budget' provider easily.

Mark, you didn't read correctly coz he did use a coupon on that 3 months. So the amount you mention should have been even lower. Not $23.80.

OP, you should be totally happy that Matt actually refunded you. He could have just said "as per our T&C, there is no refund after 3 days" and he could care less about you after that. At that point, I would have still said he was doing the correct thing.

I'm sorry but in reality if you signed a contract that states you are going to buy from me a car at $100K in 2 weeks without any clause or etc and within that 2 weeks the car price drops to $50K, you are still obligated to buy the car from me at $100K. It's a contract!

I was just asking Matt to be a nice guy and help refund you a little bit so that you do not need to go on and on saying they are wrong when they are in fact in the right and he did refund you.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Mark, you didn't read correctly coz he did use a coupon on that 3 months. So the amount you mention should have been even lower. Not $23.80.

OP, you should be totally happy that Matt actually refunded you. He could have just said "as per our T&C, there is no refund after 3 days" and he could care less about you after that. At that point, I would have still said he was doing the correct thing.

I'm sorry but in reality if you signed a contract that states you are going to buy from me a car at $100K in 2 weeks without any clause or etc and within that 2 weeks the car price drops to $50K, you are still obligated to buy the car from me at $100K. It's a contract!

I was just asking Matt to be a nice guy and help refund you a little bit so that you do not need to go on and on saying they are wrong when they are in fact in the right and he did refund you.
    Thanks.
    But there is something diffrent from the fact
    First, it's an annual service, not 3 months, Matt admitted it in #9
    Second, 35.70 USD is accurately the amount of money I paid, coupon has been calculated
    Third, it's not a 3-day refund period
    "If you have ordered in the past 14 days, you are eligible for a pro-rated refund for unused time OR the full invoice amount be credited towards a Xen instance." It's in the email "Unmanaged Budget OpenVZ Platform Discontinued" Clubuptime send
    to me
    Of course, you could think 14 days and 15 days differ greatly.

To those who think it's lucky for me to get 12 USD:
    look at this ticket
    http://i.imgur.com/lWVxe.png
    I submitted it before I cancel the service.
    Because he told me it will be a pro-rated refund , I requested cancellation
    If he told me it will be 12 USD out of 35.70 USD, I'll choose to continue to use the service for almost a year.

Thanks.
    But there is something diffrent from the fact
    First, it's an annual service, not 3 months, Matt admitted it in #9
    Second, 35.70 USD is accurately the amount of money I paid, coupon has been calculated
    Third, it's not a 3-day refund period
    "If you have ordered in the past 14 days, you are eligible for a pro-rated refund for unused time OR the full invoice amount be credited towards a Xen instance." It's in the email "Unmanaged Budget OpenVZ Platform Discontinued" Clubuptime send
    to me
    Of course, you could think 14 days and 15 days differ greatly.

To those who think it's lucky for me to get 12 USD:
    look at this ticket
    http://i.imgur.com/lWVxe.png
    I submitted it before I cancel the service.
    Because he told me it will be a pro-rated refund , I requested cancellation
    If he told me it will be 12 USD out of 35.70 USD, I'll choose to continue to use the service for almost a year.
    There reaches a point when someone takes an argument too far. I personally would've refused you entirely if not for our terms of use stating that a pro-rated refund was available. The crux of the matter is this:

Be grateful for what you've got, and stop whining.

Quote Originally Posted by TrySparta View Post
    There reaches a point when someone takes an argument too far. I personally would've refused you entirely if not for our terms of use stating that a pro-rated refund was available. The crux of the matter is this:

Be grateful for what you've got, and stop whining.
    I would like to be grateful and I hate whining
    But what does "pro-rated" mean?
    I bought an annual service in 08/04/2011 with 35.70USD.
    I request to cancel it in 25/04/2011
    UNDER YOUR DIRECTION (http://i.imgur.com/lWVxe.png).
    I was refunded 12USD for it.
    If you were me, will you be grateful?

I would like to be grateful and I hate whining
    But what does "pro-rated" mean?
    I bought an annual service in 08/04/2011 with 35.70USD.
    I request to cancel it in 25/04/2011
    UNDER YOUR DIRECTION (http://i.imgur.com/lWVxe.png).
    I was refunded 12USD for it.
    If you were me, will you be grateful?
    Yes I would. I wouldn't expect full refunds for services I've been using for a while. Neither should you.

Just because I happened to mention that you could request a refund in a support ticket doesn't necessarily mean that your request will be accepted. I really do wish your next host all the luck in the world with you, they'll certainly need it.

Yes I would. I wouldn't expect full refunds for services I've been using for a while. Neither should you.
    Yes, I've used it for a while
    I've used a 365-day service for 16 days
    I've been refunded 12.00USD for a 35.70USD service
    I don't think much people will think of it as a fair amount

It doesn't matter what's "fair", I'm not in business to be fair to you.

Here is a an excerpt from the Terms of Use which you agreed to:

"1. Money-Back Guarantee: We offer a three (3) day money-back guarantee period on all hosting services. At the Customer’s request, a full refund may be issued for hosting services, excluding any non-refundable fees listed in 1.4.3 Exclusions. Refunds outside the Money-Back Guarantee period may be granted or denied at Club Uptime’s sole discretion.

2. Multiple Refunds: To prevent abuse of our services, multiple refunds will NOT be issued. Customers may receive one (1) refund for the lifetime of their account. Additional requests for refunds will be reviewed and may be granted or denied at Club Uptime’s sole discretion."

Having agreed to our terms of use, you have absolutely no case to complain. We were well within our rights to give you absolutely nothing.
    Last edited by A J C; 04-27-2011 at 05:05 AM.

They're not going to give you any more money, what more are you trying to achieve?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Just because I happened to mention that you could request a refund in a support ticket doesn't necessarily mean that your request will be accepted. I really do wish your next host all the luck in the world with you, they'll certainly need it.
    Okay, when you said I could request a refund, you didn't mean that the request would be accepted.
    But if the request is rejected, I'll have neither service nor the refund.
    Why didn't tell me whether you accept the request in the ticket?
    It's obvious that you want your client to lose both the service and the money, and you directed me to lose them.

Okay, when you said I could request a refund, you didn't mean that the request would be accepted.
    But if the request is rejected, I'll have neither service nor the refund.
    Why didn't tell me whether you accept the request in the ticket?
    It's obvious that you want your client to lose both the service and the money, and you directed me to lose them.
    I didn't choose to cancel, you did. End of story.

I took a look in the ticket. And I believe clubuptime had accepted the customer's refund request in a ticket.
    Regardless of what a provider's TOS said, I think what they wrote in a ticket should be considered as a promise or a policy, at least for the only one customer.
    So the whole story is about clubuptime refused to do something they promised.

Quote Originally Posted by windywinter View Post
    I took a look in the ticket. And I believe clubuptime had accepted the customer's refund request in a ticket.
    Regardless of what a provider's TOS said, I think what they wrote in a ticket should be considered as a promise or a policy, at least for the only one customer.
    So the whole story is about clubuptime refused to do something they promised.
    But we didn't break any promises. We issued a pro-rated refund, this customer wasn't satisfied and we wouldn't give any more. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    They're not going to give you any more money, what more are you trying to achieve?
    You can consider this thread as a review.
    Everyone could see how Clubuptime responds.
    Those two guys finally failed to answer my question , tell me again and again that it was I who cancelled the service and ignore the fact that they told me to do so and other mistakes they've made.
    Hope that everyone can learn from this and think over before he decide to choose Clubuptime.

You can consider this thread as a review.
    Everyone could see how Clubuptime responds.
    Those two guys finally failed to answer my question , tell me again and again that it was I who cancelled the service and ignore the fact that they told me to do so and other mistakes they've made.
    Hope that everyone can learn from this and think over before he decide to choose Clubuptime.
    Nobody "told" you to cancel. You "chose" to cancel. We issued you with a fair refund, and you moaned. You chose to make it public, and only posters with small numbers of posts who wanted to increase their counts sided with you.

I really do think you should give up now.

But we didn't break any promises. We issued a pro-rated refund, this customer wasn't satisfied and we wouldn't give any more. Sorry.
    Pro-rated means "In proportion, according to a factor that can be calculated exactly."
    In Clubuptime's eyes , 349/365 = 12/35.7
    What a good calculation

Then I think your 'pro-rated refund' is a joke.
    Let's hope you can find more customers who will be satisfied with this 'pro-rated refund'.

Pro-rated means "In proportion, according to a factor that can be calculated exactly."
    In Clubuptime's eyes , 349/365 = 12/35.7
    What a good calculation
    Our terms of use (which you agreed with) state that all refunds are at our discretion. We could've given you $1 or $0, and it still would've been an acceptable pro-rated refund according to what you agreed to.

Nobody "told" you to cancel. You "chose" to cancel. We issued you with a fair refund, and you moaned. You chose to make it public, and only posters with small numbers of posts who wanted to increase their counts sided with you.

I really do think you should give up now.
    Okay , now you're attacking all those who don't have many posts
    I believe that those who were on your side didn't see all the evidences, so they thought I cancel it one-sidedly. In fact, I didn't do so. They think you're a good guy because you succeed pretend to be a responsible service provider.
    You told me to "choose" to cancel. I think whoever has read all the words and seen all the images I upload could understand.

I believe that those who were on your side didn't see all the evidences, so they thought I cancel it one-sidedly. In fact, I didn't do so. They think you're a good guy because you succeed pretend to be a responsible service provider.
    You told me to "choose" to cancel. I think whoever has read all the words and seen all the images I upload could understand.
    Nobody is "attacking" anyone. Here is the "full story" for those of you who wish to see it:

http://i54.tinypic.com/rr5clx.png

As you can see, the ticket was answered and the request was dealt with within a reasonable time. Most of all, a refund was issued.

There are 7 people responding to this thread and 5 of them are hosting providers especially 2 works for clubuptime and 1 for mddhosting which seems to have a good relationship with clubuptime.
    So I think some of them did see all the evidences but choose to ******** anyway.

There are 7 people responding to this thread and 5 of them are hosting providers especially 2 works for clubuptime and 1 for mddhosting which seems to have a good relationship with clubuptime.
    So I think some of them did see all the evidences but choose to ******** anyway.
    I don't quite exactly follow what you're trying to say. All I did was ask the OP what their goal was by continuing to argue in this thread as the provider wasn't going to give them any more than they had already gotten.

I'm not taking sides with anybody, I posted out of my own personal curiosity.

Nobody is "attacking" anyone. Here is the "full story" for those of you who wish to see it:

As you can see, the ticket was answered and the request was dealt with within a reasonable time. Most of all, a refund was issued.
    I think if you add this in your TOS with big red font, you will get more satisfied customers.
    We could've given you $1 or $0, and it still would've been an acceptable pro-rated refund according to what you agreed to.

I think if you add this in your TOS with big red font, you will get more satisfied customers.
    Well, it actually is in our terms of use. All refunds after the money back guarantee (and amounts refunded) are at the discretion of ClubUptime.

What if the entire terms were in a giant red font??? What you feel is the most important provision may be unimportant to somebody else so highlighting something for you wouldn't really be helpful for everybody else. A good example is somebody who gets a plan for $3/month and pays monthly - I doubt that they are sincerely worried about refunds or pro-rated refunds where as somebody who orders for 10 years up front would be very much concerned with it and should check over the Terms of Service and any other agreements closely.

At the end of the day, you should read the terms before you sign up and you can't hold anybody responsible for not doing so, but yourself.

Yes, I'm quite satisfied with the refund in the image you show us
    It's a 2/3 refund for the quarterly service
    But as to the annual service, it's still 349/365=12/35.70
    AND NEVER FORGET
    Announcing discontinuing to provide openvz unmanaged vps 20 days after promised that the coupon will last for four recurring periods and refusing to refund IN PROPORTION is immoral, although maybe you think of morality as nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast