Selling Websites: How to convert phone call to In-person Consultation?

Hi, my strategy for my web hosting business is to create websites for my clients, and then get them on board for hosting. I am advertising, and I get people phoning me, who are interested in getting a website made. Most of the time the conversation goes like this: They say they need a website. I ask them some general questions about what there business is, and what kind of features they want. They ask me how much it will cost. I give them a range of prices and suggest that we meet in person. They say that they want to phone around more, and will phone me back.

What are some thoughts on how to convert these calls to sales? I'm assuming that I will need to meet them in person to make the sale, so on the phone I really try to push for meeting them in person (except for the calls from people who are obviously not worth meeting). What would you recommend I say or do to get them wanting to meet me?

I don't have much experience with struggling to get customers to meet me, its likely a different audience but you don't have to meet with the client in person. Almost everything can be communicated using email and phone, you should be able to design a website without having ever met the person although it is best and easier to meet the client.

Its a good strategy to do a website and get them for hosting as well it very often works.

If you can afford it set up an office and always meet with clients. Also don't do web design outside of your area. Online web design has a lot of bad clients rejected from local firms and the pay is often not so great.

This is not always the case though.

Seems to me based on what you say, your price is too high..
    Quote your lowest price and say it goes up from there... or starts at 300$ and suggest you guys meet. Giving a range of prices often intimidates or confuses people.

In your future approaches, try telling people what they need instead of asking what they need as many of them might not even know, and you can always get those details later on.

Try cold calling door to door, see what type of reaction you get, that's usually best for me anyways.

I would suggest you do everything over email, it's easier and you can get all your questions answered. This is how I always work with my clients.

Also give them a firm price for the project and not a range. What I typically do is give them the price and I'll tell them you get a free domain name and free hosting for one year and I also throw in a logo design for that price and business card design. Just some simple things to entice them to go with you.

I would not give them a range of prices, give them one price. Get their email address and then tell them the next steps in the process, eg. I will now create a mockup and send that to you for your approval and then after you approve I'll create the site and get it online.
    Energized Web Hosting
    VPS Hosting | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Domain Names

Although I did offer in-person consultations when I worked with small businesses in my area, it wasn't until I entered the health and fitness industry that I learned the proper way of closing and converting leads over the phone.

The one thing that stands out to me is that you "offer them a range of prices" over the phone. I will tell you right there, this is a rather detrimental practice. You may feel that as a consumer, you would want to know the price up-front. But for some reason, that is not the case with local businesses. Selling over the phone is not the same idea as walking into a store and looking at price tags. When you give a set price, it's possible that your potential client feels that they fit general criteria as a client, therefore they fit a general price. With websites, each client is unique, and they need to feel this way.

Now granted, selling a service such as web hosting or a domain name... that's different. I consider these "products", while the design and development would be considered a "service", since you will for a collaborative relationship with your client to make this happen.

I would suggest asking your client critical questions about their business and their website. Dig to the root and find out what is important about having a website to them, WHY do they want a website, what do they hope to achieve? Once you have a clear understanding, re-state what they said; so for example, "Alright Mr. Smith, excellent! So you are looking for a website that will attract younger clientele to your business and allow you to expand globally. You want a website that is spunky and interactive. That is definitely something that I can help you achieve. Let's setup a time to meet!"

By re-stating what the client said, the client will recognize that you understand their needs. Note that by saying "let's setup a time to meet", you are taking initiative and giving the client a direct suggestion. If someone calls and they ask you about the price right off the bat, this is where you need to begin to dig. Say something such as, "Absolutely! Can you tell me a little about what you're looking to do with a new website".

The most important aspect of any call is confidence. As humans, we are continually reviewing and criticizing our own abilities. It's important that when you are communicating with potential clients, that you project a sense of interest in them, and confidence within yourself. A salesmen who doesn't appear to be enthusiastic about himself is going to project those feelings (called transference) onto the client. Many are very vulnerable to transference, so be aware of the ambiance you are projecting. I thought this was total B.S. but it wasn't until I realized that on an unconscious level I was creating my own failure, that I became successful.

Here is a link to a couple videos created by a mentor of mine. Granted this is a video for fitness professionals, it can certainly be applied to anyone practicing sales in any industry (note that his quirkiness/cheesiness is on purpose):

http://www.stevehochman.com/2010/12/...ur-boot-camps/
    http://www.stevehochman.com/2011/04/...mindset-trick/

"
    Seems to me based on what you say, your price is too high..
    Quote your lowest price and say it goes up from there... or starts at 300$ and suggest you guys meet. Giving a range of prices often intimidates or confuses people.

In your future approaches, try telling people what they need instead of asking what they need as many of them might not even know, and you can always get those details later on.

Try cold calling door to door, see what type of reaction you get, that's usually best for me anyways.

"

Some valid points, though dont focus on cheap pricing. Provide value, expertise and great support and charge a lot more!

Wow, Thanks very much for all the suggestions! Especially Trophimus, I will check out those videos. I have set a clear price. In fact I lost my last sale very late in the process, when it came to discussing prices. Perhaps if I had just said what it would have cost, then they would have written a cheque right there. I'm gonna take everyone's advice to heart. I agree, I am unconsciously creating my own lack of success for sure.

Man, Steve Hochman is awesome! I can feel his enthusiasm.

You have to be careful that you don't come off like this:

"I want to meet in person so I can really rope you in and give you a hard sell. I want to meet in person because it'll be harder to say no to me face-to-face when I try to close. Oh and by the way, you're going to make an appointment and there will be a delay of several days, and then when we do meet you'll have to stop what you're doing and listen to me drone on for 30 minutes even if you decide you're not interested. By the way, did I mention you will get to pay $5 to park near my office?"

Of course, I'm being tongue-in-cheek, but those are the kinds of things that will go through someone's head.

Random thought:

Have you considered saying "how about a quick demo? I can setup a web conference you can connect to right now and I'll walk through the site with you?"
    raindog308
    LowEndTalk administrator, LowEndBox editor

Yes, the mindset of sucsess is very important in order to close a deal.

In my personal view, the business person has to understand the service to be offered very cleared or else, any inquiries from the prospects the business person not able to answer well.

In view of meeting the prospects to close the deal or closing the deal without meet up the prospect, both chances are equal. To close a sale, we have to understand the customer purchase behaviour, and normally it goes in this cycle - information collection, service/prducts comparison, double checking the service/products, close the deal.

There is a possibility that prospect will call for meet up few times before the decision is made. And, we will spend the time and transportation just to clear the prospects' doubts. Unless the meet up can cover the basic expenses othewise, meeting up the prospect in person should not the priority.

Quote Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
    You have to be careful that you don't come off like this:

"I want to meet in person so I can really rope you in and give you a hard sell. I want to meet in person because it'll be harder to say no to me face-to-face when I try to close. Oh and by the way, you're going to make an appointment and there will be a delay of several days, and then when we do meet you'll have to stop what you're doing and listen to me drone on for 30 minutes even if you decide you're not interested. By the way, did I mention you will get to pay $5 to park near my office?"

Of course, I'm being tongue-in-cheek, but those are the kinds of things that will go through someone's head.

Random thought:

Have you considered saying "how about a quick demo? I can setup a web conference you can connect to right now and I'll walk through the site with you?"
    This hit the nail on the head. It's all about the ambiance that you are projecting and HOW you are selling. I have consulted with a few individuals in the past and it was amazing how some very basic adjustments in attitude and presentation produced much better results.

Believe it or not, demos are rather effective (or some sort of material that explains what you can do for that business in detail). People by nature like to explore what they're buying before purchasing it (which isn't always that case with the services we provide). Perhaps you could setup a "dummy" website to include all of the services and features you are capable of providing. You can go through this website with a potential client. You may be able to customize this website with their logo or name on it somehow to make it seem a bit more personable.