Arrow Hey I'm looking to setup a VPN on a VPS

Specs: Would like it to be in one of the following countries (outside the U.S.) that have an excellent broadband infrastructure & low ping times back to the U.S. (I'm on the east coast).

I would like it to be with a fairly large company. One that will allow me to run the OpenVPN protocol (for maximum security/encryption of my data).

I have a 25mbps/5mbps connection at home (cable) with a wireless network setup for all 3 of my PC's. I am running a ASUS RT-N16 router in G-mode (with WPA2 personal). I do have DD-WRT running on the router with OpenVPN pre-installed. However I am open to using a desktop version of OpenVPN.

So Ideally I would like to be able to get a full 20mbps/2.5mbps (I realize it might not be my full home connection speed since its traversing the ocean).

I am not looking to spend a lot of $, simply because this is just a "test" for now to see if it will even work out.

I am not looking to do any "hacking" or even "torrent" stuff. However freedom of speech & security are paramount to me. I do not like using my REAL ip while surfing/posting to blogs/signing up for accounts etc. Nor do I like my real IP showing up in e-mails that I send to people.

Where is a good place to start? I have checked out many pre-done version of VPN companies & ran several free trials, but the servers are so bogged down, the fastest I've seen on speedtest back to the U.S. from the EU is 2mbps down & 2mbps up.

I do not need more than 150gb of total transfer per month, as my Cap with Comcast is exactly 250gb. And any p2p transfers I do, I will do from my own home connection & not through the VPN.

Almost all of my VPN usage will be http/https (web page loading), instant messaging clients, & very light e-mail pop3 retrieval & very light smtp sending (maybe 250 e-mails out/month)

Edit: All of my pc's are running Win7 & Win XP SP3...nothing outdated, or linux. I would also be willing to use something other than OpenVPN, as long as it's the most secure of the 2-3 other protocols available.
    Last edited by n3rdy-jenn; 04-26-2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Added my operating system types.

Oh this will also be because I do a lot of traveling (I work on the net but travel extensively), so I would like to have my ftp log in's/control panel login's....BANK & CREDIT CARD company login's to be secured while using public hotspot's.

Can someone suggest some companies that offer VPS accounts, with one-click installations of VPN software in the control panel?

Thanks!

You could try getting a budget vps from a provider, but I havent seen any that provide a one click solution. You could get someone to set it up for you in another section of the forum or follow a TUT.
    Ashton Allen | FuseWeb Limited
    Premium UK Webhosting
    | Shared Hosting | VPS | Reseller Hosting | VOIP |
    FuseWeb.co.uk Or follow us on Twitter

Installing OpenVPN server from the command line (not one click) should take only several minutes. And most providers (even the unmanaged ones) are usually willing to help you with the initial setup of a VPS, if you ask them nicely.
    So why do you need this "one click" thing?

Hey pal. just google it. Google will teach you many things than us easily

I'm a fan of OpenVPN Access Server. You can get a 2-user license for free.

It really configures itself -- you need the ability to have the TUN kernel module installed so if you're using a OpenVZ you may need to ask for it (check it via running `lsmod|grep tun`) however it will install and load this for you on a dedicated server or Xen, etc VPS.

I believe additional user licenses are only $5 ONE time as well which is a steal for the ease of use and manageability of Access Server.
    Justin Yancey | Northern Virginia & District of Columbia | https://www.linkedin.com/in/justinyancey

installing openvpn can't be done in one click, you always have to do it manually through SSH
    Dedicated VPS 1Giga uplink cPanel, Directadmin - Trixbox - OpenVPN & More

NQHost has low-budget VPS offerings in Moscow. I've had a VPS there with them for under a month, but in that time, the connectivity to the US has been shockingly good, and the uptime is darn good for a $7/month plan. No one-click installers, though. You'd probably be best to actually learn the technology you're using anyhow, rather than relying on a one-click installer, anyhow, though.
    Ⓐ Red Triangle Technology Collective Ⓐ
    Hosting a revolution!
    http://www.redtriangletc.org/

Quote Originally Posted by JustinAY View Post
    I believe additional user licenses are only $5 ONE time as well which is a steal for the ease of use and manageability of Access Server.
    Minimum of ten purchased at a time, though. So $50 at least to upgrade beyond 2.
    Ⓐ Red Triangle Technology Collective Ⓐ
    Hosting a revolution!
    http://www.redtriangletc.org/

Try VMPort.com for the VPN . You can get someone to help you install OpenVPN AS here. They have UK boxes

should Receat

Did you manage to find a working solution for this setup?
    I am currently trying to get OpenVPN running on my VPS, but am experiencing problems with it, so any follow-up on this would be appreciated.