HostGator DNS servers down today

HostGator is having a DNS outage. Both primary DNS server "NS1999.HOSTGATOR.COM" and backup DNS server "NS2000.HOSTGATOR.COM" are down. One of my sites has been inaccessible since 8:41PM PDT.

Hostgator support: "I apologise for the inconvenience it is a known issue right now and it is currently being worked on by the admins. "

Kind of proves the necessity for a redundant DNS setup, something a large host doesn't usually provide (both of those addresses you provided likely are hosted on the same machine as your website).
    TheHostGenie.com
    cPanel | Softaculous | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS | Dedicated
    [email protected]

I could be wrong, but last I checked Hostgator just used on-server nameservers for each server... This means if the nameservers are down then the server itself is likely down as well, and also means that redundant nameservers generally wouldn't help except if you had your mail hosted externally.

Unfortunately issues happen no matter who the provider is, and at least they're working on it.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

I could be wrong, but last I checked Hostgator just used on-server nameservers for each server...
    True. A side-effect of that is that one can estimate how many shared hosting servers Hostgator has.

This means if the nameservers are down then the server itself is likely down as well
    Generally their servers are running very well (uptime of 99.97% over a 2 years period is nothing to criticize), despite the fact that the DNS setup is likely to be criticized by some server admins.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Unfortunately issues happen no matter who the provider is, and at least they're working on it.
    I agree! It can happen anytime on any web hosting company. You just always need patience. At least you know they're working on it.

MikeDVB you are correct it's very very rare for name servers to be down without the server itself being down. If and when it happens it's seconds to just a few minutes and is usually a result of the server going down earlier.

Nagle,

Do you have a ticket number on this I can take a look at? I'm willing to bet the entire server had some type of outage.

You should first contact their support instead of posting here.
    Their support is always helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    True. A side-effect of that is that one can estimate how many shared hosting servers Hostgator has.
    This is true, assuming that they re-use old nameservers of decommissioned servers and that you know what the highest nsXXXX number currently is. Either way, it lets you make an approximation.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Generally their servers are running very well (uptime of 99.97% over a 2 years period is nothing to criticize), despite the fact that the DNS setup is likely to be criticized by some server admins.
    It all just depends on what you need - if you need super-reliable DNS then you could consider using your registrar's DNS services but I generally wouldn't recommend that personally.

Thanks for the information, and I hope they get that fixed for you as soon as possible..
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Mark View Post
    Thanks for the information, and I hope they get that fixed for you as soon as possible..
    Well considering the post was originally posted yesterday, I'd certainly hope it was resolved unless it was something major like hardware failure where they were having to do a lengthy restore.

That's my client's hosting provider and I just hope it don't affect much on his autoblogs' earnings. Earlier today when i was about to log out on our TKS, i couldn't accessed the site but it's working fine now.

wow ouch

luckily my sit http://www.scishark.com isn't down.

load times seem pretty average still