What's the best hosting $50/month can buy?

Hello,

I'm currently with Bluehost, which is $7 per month. Sometimes the site is slow, some times it's not available, but all in all, Bluehost is pretty good.

But now I think I want more. I can probably afford $50 per month -- so what's the best hosting that $50 per month can get me? Is it gonna be 7 times better than Bluehost? Or am I better off sticking with Bluehost until I can afford $100 or more per month?

Thanks,

M.K.

Quote Originally Posted by msafi View Post
    Hello,

I'm currently with Bluehost, which is $7 per month. Sometimes the site is slow, some times it's not available, but all in all, Bluehost is pretty good.

But now I think I want more. I can probably afford $50 per month -- so what's the best hosting that $50 per month can get me? Is it gonna be 7 times better than Bluehost? Or am I better off sticking with Bluehost until I can afford $100 or more per month?

Thanks,

M.K.
    $50 / Month for?

Reseller or VPS?

Quote Originally Posted by semoweb View Post
    $50 / Month for?

Reseller or VPS?
    Whatever is fastest and most reliable.

Whatever is fastest and most reliable.
    You could get yourself a decent managed VPS with that budget. But you should be more specific about your requirements, e.g. what does "fast" mean? Do you have a preferred location, what's the purpose of your site, what are the contents etc., there are too many variables to provide a more useful answer.

Quote Originally Posted by semoweb View Post
    Why don't you try LiquidWeb?

Whether you choose shared, vps, dedicated they will keep you happy.
    I don't want to just randomly try a company. I don't know anything about LiquidWeb. I've just checked them out and their highest "Professional" hosting plan is for $25/month. Then their most basic VPS is $60+ -- nothing for $50.

Quote Originally Posted by httpEasy View Post
    You could get yourself a decent managed VPS with that budget. But you should be more specific about your requirements, e.g. what does "fast" mean? Do you have a preferred location, what's the purpose of your site, what are the contents etc., there are too many variables to provide a more useful answer.
    I'd love to be more specific, but I don't know what the variables are.

I have a WordPress-based site. WordPress is a PHP CMS and it's somewhat CPU-intensive, I think. But I can set it to create a static HTML version of the site every 3AM (causes a CPU usage spike). I get 30K visitors a month -- mostly from the North America, Europe, and India.

KnownHost VPS.....you won't get more bang for your buck than that!

For $50, you're definitely set for a fantastic experience (almost) anywhere.
    I suggest you go with a VPS (most likely managed).
    Preetam Jinka

Isomerous - High performance web services for business and individuals.
    Bitcable Colocation, KVMs, cPanel hosting, Oracle expertise, and more.

I have a WordPress-based site. WordPress is a PHP CMS and it's somewhat CPU-intensive, I think. But I can set it to create a static HTML version of the site every 3AM (causes a CPU usage spike). I get 30K visitors a month -- mostly from the North America, Europe, and India.
    Wordpress can be CPU intensive, but also taxes MySql database resources (memory). That being said, you could probably run your site on a VPS with 512MB RAM. I have 30 sites on a 1GB RAM VPS with 2 cores at 2.4GHz processor, and one of those sites is a IPBoard forum that has 10,000 unique visitors a month (30,000 total visits a month). Another account sharing that VPS has 12,000 unique visits a month (20,000 total visits) and runs a PHP-intensive shopping cart application.

I'm at MDDHosting.com for that VPS, and very happy. Its a fully managed VPS, and the regular month-to-month price is a bit higher than your budget. But if you went a few months to try it out and then switched to paying bi-annually, the discount structure would put you at your budget.

The other option is an unmanaged VPS which is much cheaper. Well, not really. If you want to learn how to manage a server, its a good way to go, but if you just want to run your website, it probably doesn't save you anything. For most comparable unmanaged VPS, you would start at $10 to $15, but then cPanel will cost you an additional $15, a backup service will cost you an additional $10, a monitoring service will cost you an additional $5, and pretty soon you're up to the cost of a fully managed VPS from someone like MDDHosting.

The other option is something called "semi-dedicated", which is like a shared hosting account on steroids. The hosts don't over-populate the servers so that you get a larger share of the resources. That can be a more economical solution than the managed VPS, and would probably work just as well.

Sounds like you want fast with good support.

I would recommend you get a list of providers together that offer stuff in your price range, and then look through the reviews and base your decision on that.

Also, email or call up some of the providers on your list and ask them what makes them better than the others you are considering.

EDIT - and 1k hits/day for a WP site is not too bad, really. As long as the service provider you have selected has a good server, with an optimized setup, they should be able to handle that kind of traffic with ease. That is < 1 hit per minute.

If I were to spend $50 a month on hosting, it would be a VPS with KnownHost or WiredTree.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Best performance at $50/mo? www.medialayer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    Best performance at $50/mo? www.medialayer.com
    Maybe use the leftover cash from medialayer to pick up a TB or two of pay as you go CDN to do origin pull too.

$50 gets a nice VPS at a premium quality hosting provider.
    That's what I do.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

You can even get an Atom dedi from interserver.net, if you want. It's unmanaged, though.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

$50 is quite enaugh to get high-specifications of VPS with fully managed services

For a budget of $50/month, I recommend you to avail VPS from a reliable provider.

You can get a great shared hosting plan from medialayer.com for 50 bucks a month. A VPS would cost you 150+ with them. Their service is top notch. You get what you pay for.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

MediaLayer.