Private Nameserver vs. Simple IP

When I register a custom Nameserver for a domain at my registrar, I point the NS1 and NS2 to two IPs I have in my server. Now when filling these private Nameservers, it will be directed to my server. What is the difference if I simply put the raw IPs of my server as Nameserver of my addone domain?

I'm just curious to know, no technical problem

Who is your registrar?

I'd imagine that it would do the same thing. The whole nameserver thing is really just meant to make it easier for clients to change their nameservers. I'm almost positive you could use IPs and get the same result.

My registrar is Godaddy.

Then you suggest me to put my VPS IPs as the nameserver without registering private nameservers?

Quote Originally Posted by etrader View Post
    What is the difference if I simply put the raw IPs of my server as Nameserver of my addone domain?
    I don't think there's a difference between them. I'm also waiting for other comments.

Quote Originally Posted by etrader View Post
    When I register a custom Nameserver for a domain at my registrar, I point the NS1 and NS2 to two IPs I have in my server. Now when filling these private Nameservers, it will be directed to my server. What is the difference if I simply put the raw IPs of my server as Nameserver of my addone domain?

I'm just curious to know, no technical problem
    At godaddy you create the NS1 & NS2 entries in the "Host Summary" box, located at the bottom-left corner of the domain management panel. You can use the same IP address for both NS1 & NS2. You can also use your own NS1 & NS2 entries as the nameservers for the same domain.

You still need to run a DNS server at the IP address that you used for NS1 & NS2, even if the website is in the same machine at the same IP address.
    Last edited by ajonate; 04-25-2011 at 01:30 PM.